The Official Riverside Thread

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 7 2010, 01:14 PM)
QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Oct 7 2010, 11:18 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 7 2010, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Oct 7 2010, 04:14 AM)
I'm making my way through ADHD right now. Second listening. I already had something by the guys, Voices in my Head and the EP.
This new one has really strong ties with today Rush, IMHO.

I love the funky horn section on that album! ADHD has a bit of everything.

I have to say that the thing I like most about Riverside is the voice of Marius! One of the best out there now, IMHO.

He has an awesome voice! That part on Hyperactive that I mentioned, where he does that cool vocal thing on "expire yesterday..."? My son and I have argued over and over as to whether that is done digitally. I keep telling him that Duda has THAT good a voice. He doesn't believe me.

I can't really tell about the "expire" vocal. He does it live. Such a great CD!!

I am now the proud owner of ADHD, Second Life Syndrome, and Rapid Eye Movement.

So far I like ADHD the best, followed by REM. SLS is good, but hasn't grabbed me the way the other two have.

So thank you very much to The Maples and Sullysue for their fierce recommendations. I am enjoying Riverside a lot!

But don't hold your breath on my liking Opeth, or any of that other Euro-trash Death Metal. I can't take a band seriously if their lead singer sounds like the Cookie Monster.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (the oaks @ Oct 27 2010, 05:11 AM)
I am now the proud owner of ADHD, Second Life Syndrome, and Rapid Eye Movement.

So far I like ADHD the best, followed by REM. SLS is good, but hasn't grabbed me the way the other two have.

So thank you very much to The Maples and Sullysue for their fierce recommendations. I am enjoying Riverside a lot!

But don't hold your breath on my liking Opeth, or any of that other Euro-trash Death Metal. I can't take a band seriously if their lead singer sounds like the Cookie Monster.

laugh.gif

smile.gif Cool!

We'll get you to break eventually with Opeth! 1287.gif

I thought everyone else would like to see those pics from NEARfest:

http://www.studiomlive.com/NEARfest2010/Riverside/index.htm

QUOTE (willowroolz @ Oct 8 2010, 03:20 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 7 2010, 05:14 PM)
He has an awesome voice! That part on Hyperactive that I mentioned, where he does that cool vocal thing on "expire yesterday..."? My son and I have argued over and over as to whether that is done digitally. I keep telling him that Duda has THAT good a voice. He doesn't believe me.

Show him this, then wink.gif

Hyperactive live

1022.gif i enjoyed that!

After first listen, I would say that this is one of the best records of 2010. Pick this up for sure...

Huge, huge atmosphere, and a bit different that LS I...

First Lunatic Soul was really good, but the follow-up to end the journey through the underworld is GREAT!

QUOTE (Imaginos @ Nov 3 2010, 06:18 AM)
I got Lunatic Soul II this morning. It's beautiful. Flame me if you like but I think this is better than anything that I've heard by Riverside (having posted that - I haven't heard ADHD yet).

Right. Give ADHD a go then reconsider. A very good album yes.gif

I've been meaning to give Riverside a try but I've been so wrapped up in PT and Opeth the past couple of years that I never got around to it. So, it seems now is a good time to get some and see if it takes.

After reading through this thread a bit and listening to some Riverside on Grooveshark, I'm thinking of going for Out of Myself and ADHD. Any other suggestions?

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Nov 2 2010, 03:26 PM)
'Out of Myself' was what hooked me... 'Second Life Syndrome' I didn't like as much, but still good.

ADHD was one of the best records to come out in 2009.

You are on the right track! trink36.gif

Thanks. Decided to go with SLS instead of ADHD, because Amazon only had the "Import" and it was highly priced. I also picked up OOM.

This should tide me over until SW's solo projects are released wink.gif

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Nov 2 2010, 11:37 AM)
Lunatic Soul II arrived today... Love it better than I so far! Still in progress on first listen though...

You da man, Mariusz! smile.gif

Is it a bit more song oriented than the first album? I like LS1, but it's VERYYYY ambient...(almost Ambien, in fact). I'd hope that the second album has a bit more tempo to it.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 3 2010, 12:49 PM)
Second Life Syndrome is, IMO, one of the all-time GREAT (modern) prog albums...and easily my favorite Riverside album.  They're all fine, but I think SLS is their most diverse.

Nah. It's on a par with ADHD.

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Nov 2 2010, 07:13 PM)
Still no electric guitar, but yes more song oriented...

If you are a fan of Mariusz, you will totally dig it.

I am, I just thought the first album was a bit too much "music for whales to feck by" for my tastes. There's ambient and then there's celestial new age and I hoped the new one would have a bit more song structure, so good!! trink39.gif

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 3 2010, 09:19 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 3 2010, 08:52 AM)
"music for whales to feck by"

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Of course, now I HAVE to hear it! laugh.gif

Don't get me wrong, it's not the slag that it sounds like reading that...but it's "soothing" and "moody" on the highest order. biggrin.gif I like it, but it won't keep you awake on a drive from Vegas to Reno either.