The Official Riverside Thread

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 1 2010, 08:58 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 1 2010, 08:47 PM)
I have Out of Myself, a very good album imo. I need to get some more stuff by them.

If you like that one, you DEFINITELY need to get their other CDs. yes.gif

I still need Rapid Eye Movement. And, the DVD.

I'll have to pick up a few more albums. I was very impressed with Out of Myself.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 3 2010, 09:50 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 1 2010, 08:58 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 1 2010, 08:47 PM)
I have Out of Myself, a very good album imo. I need to get some more stuff by them.

If you like that one, you DEFINITELY need to get their other CDs. yes.gif

I still need Rapid Eye Movement. And, the DVD.

I'll have to pick up a few more albums. I was very impressed with Out of Myself.

That's a great record. Fortunately they don't have a bad one, so you ought to continue to be impressed.

Anno Domini is definitely their most proggy of the lot...(least soft material as well).

QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 1 2010, 11:55 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 2 2010, 07:07 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 1 2010, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 1 2010, 02:35 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Jun 14 2010, 02:31 AM)
^^^ Did you finally realise the genius that is SLS yet? tongue.gif

laugh.gif That is so funny. Since you posted that in June, I have, as a matter of fact, realized the genius. For a couple of days, I listened to Volte-Face, like, a thousand times in a row. I still think ADHD is stronger, though.

We should try to keep this thread going too. I had to search to find it. laugh.gif

This and the PT thread. yes.gif

...and and and the Tool one yes.gif to all 3 trink38.gif 1287.gif

bumper.gif

I actually got into Riverside because they came up on my Porcupine Tree channel on Pandora. Now I listen to them all the time.

QUOTE (The Maples @ Oct 4 2010, 11:16 AM)

laugh.gif That is so funny. Since you posted that in June, I have, as a matter of fact, realized the genius. For a couple of days, I listened to Volte-Face, like, a thousand times in a row. I still think ADHD is stronger, though.

We should try to keep this thread going too. I had to search to find it. laugh.gif

bumper.gif

I actually got into Riverside because they came up on my Porcupine Tree channel on Pandora. Now I listen to them all the time.

My wife had this same discovery and she's the one who pointed me in the direction of Riverside. I think they're probably THE most exciting band in the prog genre today.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 4 2010, 12:13 PM)

bumper.gif

My wife had this same discovery and she's the one who pointed me in the direction of Riverside. I think they're probably THE most exciting band in the prog genre today.

I totally agree. I'm listening to ADHD right now.

One of my favorite lines comes from "Hyperactive":

"I hope my sell-by date didn't expire yesterday."

Amen to that, bruthah.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 4 2010, 03:06 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 4 2010, 12:13 PM)

bumper.gif

I totally agree. I'm listening to ADHD right now.

One of my favorite lines comes from "Hyperactive":

"I hope my sell-by date didn't expire yesterday."

Amen to that, bruthah.

1022.gif

Sweet tune.

I've had a Riverside playlist going on my iPod for a while. It's 36 tracks, 4 hours long.

The Same River

Beyond The Eyelids

After

Volte-Face

Rainbow Box

Rainbow Trip

Conceiving You

Rapid Eye Movement

Us

Parasomnia

Through The Other Side

Dance With The Shadow

Acronym Love

Behind the Eyelids

I Turned You Down

Loose Heart

Egoist Hedonist

Dna ts. Rednum or F. Raf

Schizophrenic Prayer

Second Life Syndrome

Stuck Between

Reality Dream

Reality Dream II

Reality Dream III

The Time I Was Daydreaming

02 Panic Room

Out Of Myself

Cybernetic Pillow

Hybrid Times

Embryonic

Lucid Dream IV

The Curtain Falls

Left Out

Back To The River

Before

Ultimate Trip

wub.gif

I've got a similar one for Opeth that lasts 6 hours laugh.gif

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Oct 7 2010, 04:14 AM)
I'm making my way through ADHD right now. Second listening. I already had something by the guys, Voices in my Head and the EP.
This new one has really strong ties with today Rush, IMHO.

I love the funky horn section on that album! ADHD has a bit of everything.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 7 2010, 03:07 PM)
I'm making my way through ADHD right now. Second listening. I already had something by the guys, Voices in my Head and the EP.

I have to say that the thing I like most about Riverside is the voice of Marius! One of the best out there now, IMHO.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Oct 7 2010, 11:18 AM)

I have to say that the thing I like most about Riverside is the voice of Marius! One of the best out there now, IMHO.

He has an awesome voice! That part on Hyperactive that I mentioned, where he does that cool vocal thing on "expire yesterday..."? My son and I have argued over and over as to whether that is done digitally. I keep telling him that Duda has THAT good a voice. He doesn't believe me.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 7 2010, 07:20 PM)
I need the live album! That's all the Riverside I am missing....and I also need the two solo efforts that Mariusz Duda has put out under the name "Lunatic Soul"

I have the 1st one and it's nice... kinda a cross between ambient and ethno... not much to sing along but an interesting artistic effort...

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 7 2010, 12:14 PM)

He has an awesome voice! That part on Hyperactive that I mentioned, where he does that cool vocal thing on "expire yesterday..."? My son and I have argued over and over as to whether that is done digitally. I keep telling him that Duda has THAT good a voice. He doesn't believe me.

He's just hitting one falsetto note there. My wife thinks that note is wonky.... biggrin.gif It'll get your attention on first listen, but he's on pitch.

ADHD is so much different than the other three albums that I'm really curious where they go from there. Most bands decrease their proggy nature over time and they amped it up on their 4th album. Not that I care. I love even their most tender ballads because they're done so damn well.

What I love is that even in their most heavy moments they're still very melodic.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 7 2010, 12:29 PM)

He's just hitting one falsetto note there. My wife thinks that note is wonky.... biggrin.gif It'll get your attention on first listen, but he's on pitch.

ADHD is so much different than the other three albums that I'm really curious where they go from there. Most bands decrease their proggy nature over time and they amped it up on their 4th album. Not that I care. I love even their most tender ballads because they're done so damn well.

What I love is that even in their most heavy moments they're still very melodic.

That note isn't easy. Can you do it? laugh.gif I can do it, but not consistently. It's harder than it might seem. It takes some vocal acrobatics to do it right. It's cooler 'n hell, though. Duda's voice on Out of Myself is especially brilliant.

QUOTE (willowroolz @ Oct 7 2010, 04:07 AM)
I've had a Riverside playlist going on my iPod for a while. It's 36 tracks, 4 hours long.

The Same River
Beyond The Eyelids
After
Volte-Face
Rainbow Box
Rainbow Trip
Conceiving You
Rapid Eye Movement
Us
Parasomnia
Through The Other Side
Dance With The Shadow
Acronym Love
Behind the Eyelids
I Turned You Down
Loose Heart
Egoist Hedonist
Dna ts. Rednum or F. Raf
Schizophrenic Prayer
Second Life Syndrome
Stuck Between
Reality Dream
Reality Dream II
Reality Dream III
The Time I Was Daydreaming
02 Panic Room
Out Of Myself
Cybernetic Pillow
Hybrid Times
Embryonic
Lucid Dream IV
The Curtain Falls
Left Out
Back To The River
Before
Ultimate Trip

wub.gif

I've got a similar one for Opeth that lasts 6 hours laugh.gif

Add some Katatonia to that and along with PT RUSH you have the sum total of what is on my phone. I have about 4 hours of Opeth as well.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 7 2010, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 7 2010, 12:29 PM)

That note isn't easy. Can you do it? laugh.gif I can do it, but not consistently. It's harder than it might seem. It takes some vocal acrobatics to do it right. It's cooler 'n hell, though. Duda's voice on Out of Myself is especially brilliant.

I haven't tried it. I wasn't minimalizing the effort...just stating (re: your son's comment) that that's all it was.

Duda is great. Really love all of their records.

I dig the crap out of Dance With The Shadow.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Oct 7 2010, 12:18 PM)

Did you hear the two songs he sings on Indukti"s CD S.U.S.A.R.?

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 7 2010, 01:29 PM)

It is a bit wonky but it is still cool. It's wonky cool. ADHD is such an awesome CD. Is the abbreviation an indication of how they played on the CD? It is a pretty hyper CD for Riverside.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 7 2010, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 7 2010, 01:29 PM)

It is a bit wonky but it is still cool. It's wonky cool. ADHD is such an awesome CD. Is the abbreviation an indication of how they played on the CD? It is a pretty hyper CD for Riverside.

Good point. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 7 2010, 10:19 PM)
QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Oct 7 2010, 12:18 PM)

Did you hear the two songs he sings on Indukti"s CD S.U.S.A.R.?

No. I'll check it out, thanks!!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 7 2010, 05:14 PM)

Show him this, then wink.gif

Hyperactive live