Favorite MOMENTS within a Rush song

Presto-digitation

I'm loving the bridge (middle eight?) of BU2B. wub.gif

Until our final breath

The joy and pain that we receive

Must be what we deserve

I was brought up to believe

The bass, keyboards wub.gif , vocal melody/delivery, and lyrics are all just perfect. This section reminds me of the HYF era, definitely the most old-school sounding Rush we've heard in a while. Even better that it comes in the middle of the new, heavy Rush sound (great contrast).

Edited by PariahDog

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anytime Alex hits 'HIS' chord - the F#7sus4.

Cygnus X-1 Book II :05

Far Cry :12

The Trees :40 - among others.

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 8 2010, 10:08 AM)

Until our final breath
Must be what we deserve

The bass, keyboards wub.gif , vocal melody/delivery, and lyrics are all just perfect. This section reminds me of the HYF era, definitely the most old-school sounding Rush we've heard in a while. Even better that it comes in the middle of the new, heavy Rush sound (great contrast).

Yes, it's like a heavy and fast paced HYF.. and it still manages to be just as beautiful trink38.gif 653.gif

Red Sector A - "i must help my mother stand up straight" (2nd time)

The Body Electric - "a struggle to exist, to resist"

2112: Presentation - "listen to my music and hear what it can do" (2nd time)

Under The Shadow - last 30 seconds or so 1022.gif

The slightly inverted beat/accents Neil does in Limelight, just before the start of the second verse. Nothing super complicated or hard to play, just rhythmically genius.

My favorite "moment" from a Rush song is still (and has been for quite some time) that drum fill Neil did in Xanadu that had previously just been a silent pause just before "a thousand years have come and gone..." which he filled in on the Different Stages recording with a very simple drum fill that still brings a smile to my face and forces me to air-drum it no matter what recording I'm listening to.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 9 2010, 09:36 AM)
In Caravan, my new favorite part of that song is from 4:15 to 4:47. yes.gif

trink39.gif yes.gif

Panacea in Fountain of Lamneth. It's so sensual... prolly the most intimate piece of music Rush has come up with. At least I think so anyway. Edited by Ya_Big_Tree

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 8 2010, 01:08 PM)

Until our final breath
Must be what we deserve

For sure! That's my favourite part out of both new songs! wub.gif

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jun 8 2010, 10:11 AM)
Anytime Alex hits 'HIS' chord - the F#7sus4.

Cygnus X-1 Book II :05
Far Cry :12
The Trees :40 - among others.

Yeah I remember seeing a video where Alex said that he played that in Far Cry because it made a nice bridge and was a fun reference to Hemispheres.

It sounds much stronger in Far Cry if you ask me though.

On ESL's version of Xanadu, Alex kills me with a riff at 8:26.

The whole last verse of the Pass.

Secret Touch from 4:14-4:45

The drums in Double Agent and "Which will lose depends on what I choose or maybe which voice I ignore"

The bass line in Time and Motion.

The opening riff of Spirit of Radio

Didacts and Narpets : Neil pounding away on the drums and then Geddy comes in shouting out some words (not sure what, but it sounds cool to me) and then "Listen!"

Analog Kid: "and the boy pulls down his baseball cap and covers up his eyes!"

I used to listen to Analog Kid so many times when I was a teenager that I conjured up a music video to go along with it. The images in my mind were so vivid that it wasn't until years later that I realized there was NO video for Analog Kid...it was all in my freakin' head!

soaring guitar at the end of Mission just overwhelms me. The lyrics are so inspiring it honestly brings a tear to my eyes and i get chocked up. sad.gif Hold Your Fire is one of my favorite albums.

"Fawn eyed girl with sun browned legs dancing on the edge of his dreams" has me thinking of Heather Thompson in 10th grade (which was 1980 for me). I remember her sitting on a picnic table in the sun in tight white short-shorts with her long tan legs pulled in tight so she could paint her toenails. tiny blonde hairs on her legs glistening in the sun. Yes, I grew up on the beach in So FL. I can smell her strawberry lip gloss now. wub.gif

2112, "just think of what my life might be in a world like I have seen!" the first time I heard this (or RUSH for that matter) I was skipping school in 7th grade and went to my friends house and listened to his brothers album and smoked a roach cool10.gif from a pie tin under his bed. Not one with legs. we smoked it while listening to the first side then stared at the cieling while side two played introducing me to RUSH's glory

QUOTE (briremo @ Jun 14 2010, 09:16 PM)
soaring guitar at the end of Mission just overwhelms me. The lyrics are so inspiring it honestly brings a tear to my eyes and i get chocked up. sad.gif Hold Your Fire is one of my favorite albums.

This.

Just so powerful with the guitar, drums and all the keyboards going. Beautiful. wub.gif