Time & Motion

The Main Monkey Business

QUOTE (red sector animal @ Apr 13 2010, 06:54 PM)
QUOTE (Solitudeix @ Apr 13 2010, 05:14 PM)
my fav on the album. not a great album, but I remember getting it a midnight at the House of Guitars in Rochester NY when it came out. and I thought the tour was great too. I really like Diff Stages.

Rock on dude! You local? I live only a few miles from the H.O.G

I was probably at that midnight sale too,lol. can't remember.

I grew up there but I have lived in Montreal since 2001.

It is always nice to go back and see what a real music store looks like.

Steves Music here is nothing compared to the HOG.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Apr 16 2010, 06:05 PM)
Virtuality had a great riff but the chorus was not one of my favorite moments.

yeah, with T4E, for me, there are just some little things that kind of sabotage what I am trying to love on the album. That chorus is one of them. Dog Years its the lyrics for me that dont do it. The music in DY I like it alot.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 13 2010, 05:58 PM)
I think this whole record is a bit under-appreciated honestly.

yes.gif

Time and Motion is my favorite song on it. Easily as good as the best stuff on Counterparts which a lot of people here rave about. Carve Away The Stone is my second fave, excellent tune.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Apr 13 2010, 11:34 AM)
It's probably the 2nd best song after Driven on T4E.

Sometimes, SOMETIMES that beginning "Grand Designs-y" keyboard thing at the beginning sounds sorta' cheesy but overall it's a killer track.

Totally agree. Great track. Sometimes the keyboard intro throws me, but not enough to change my position on how great the song is.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 13 2010, 10:48 AM)
It's a fine song. Underrated in the bigger picture, as is Half The World from the same record.

Total agreement. Those are my two favorites on the release. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Solitudeix @ Apr 17 2010, 02:16 PM)
QUOTE (red sector animal @ Apr 13 2010, 06:54 PM)
QUOTE (Solitudeix @ Apr 13 2010, 05:14 PM)
my fav on the album. not a great album, but I remember getting it a midnight at the House of Guitars in Rochester NY when it came out. and I thought the tour was great too. I really like Diff Stages.

Rock on dude! You local? I live only a few miles from the H.O.G

I was probably at that midnight sale too,lol. can't remember.

I grew up there but I have lived in Montreal since 2001.

It is always nice to go back and see what a real music store looks like.

Steves Music here is nothing compared to the HOG.

biggrin.gif

Tangent warning!!!!

http://www.rochestercitynewspaper.com/uploads/articles/7841-favorites_houseofguitars_annman09.jpg

I have some great memories of trips to HOG. I love that place.

QUOTE (Solitudeix @ Apr 13 2010, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Apr 13 2010, 05:15 PM)
It was performed live in 96 for the first few shows of the T4E tour before they dropped it. From what I recall it sounded pretty awesome live.

yes it did. I saw them in Buffalo on the second show of that tour and it was really heavy.

yes.gif I seen this tour in PHX AZ.. Very heavy, love this tune, hell I like this album.. tongue.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

I've always loved Time and Motion. I was surprised the first time I heard some negativity about it. It's a great, rocking track.

QUOTE (Solitudeix @ Apr 13 2010, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Apr 13 2010, 05:15 PM)
It was performed live in 96 for the first few shows of the T4E tour before they dropped it. From what I recall it sounded pretty awesome live.

yes it did. I saw them in Buffalo on the second show of that tour and it was really heavy.

I was at that show to in Buffalo and the song did come off well live. Not sure why the dropped it soon though. I remember the crowd being really dead for it. That may have factored into it.

Very good song though. One of my favorites on T4E.

Love

This

Song

As I do all of T4E

I don't hate it nearly as much as some here do, it's pleasant to listen to I suppose. But there's something annoyingly bland and vanilla about the album as a whole. It's like they were trying too hard to sound really heavy and loud but it just didn't work that well.

Also, I don't like the mix nearly as much as Counterparts. The whole thing sounds fuzzy. TFE started Alex's "wall of distorted noise" guitar sound which continues for the most part to this day

QUOTE (jnoble @ Nov 5 2010, 05:56 PM)
Also, I don't like the mix nearly as much as Counterparts. The whole thing sounds fuzzy. TFE started Alex's "wall of distorted noise" guitar sound which continues for the most part to this day

yeah the mix on T4E could be better. The 2004 remaster helped a little, but it still doesn't sound as good as Counterparts. I wonder if the weak sounding drums had anything to do with Neil's switching to traditional grip.

was my favorite song off TFE for a long time!

QUOTE (mankad89 @ Apr 13 2010, 10:23 AM)
It's their 90's prog rock statement. With Time and Motion, they showed they could create a truly epic song within a neat 5-minute timeframe...

Time and motion, flesh and blood and fire. Lives connect in webs of gold and razor wire.

Something about those chord progressions just sounds unsettling. But in a badass way. 1022.gif

goodpost.gif

I always liked this album, mainly because seeing Neil's excitement for it on his Work In Progress DVD was translated to me (I got the album long after the DVD). Time & Motion is a great track, as are many of the others I think (and I LOVE Virtuality and Dog Years)

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Nov 8 2010, 01:43 PM)
I always liked this album, mainly because seeing Neil's excitement for it on his Work In Progress DVD was translated to me (I got the album long after the DVD). Time & Motion is a great track, as are many of the others I think (and I LOVE Virtuality and Dog Years)

A Work In Progress is where my true appreciation for Dog Years originates from, as well. I always liked the song enough, and thought it was... okay. But after watching AWIP it just ignited every part of T4E for me. Time & Motion was already a classic in my mind, but so much more so after watching Neil's video.

QUOTE (Pags @ Nov 8 2010, 01:11 PM)
QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Nov 8 2010, 01:43 PM)
I always liked this album, mainly because seeing Neil's excitement for it on his Work In Progress DVD was translated to me (I got the album long after the DVD).  Time & Motion is a great track, as are many of the others I think (and I LOVE Virtuality and Dog Years)

A Work In Progress is where my true appreciation for Dog Years originates from, as well. I always liked the song enough, and thought it was... okay. But after watching AWIP it just ignited every part of T4E for me. Time & Motion was already a classic in my mind, but so much more so after watching Neil's video.

I was always a little disappointed with Neil's new drumming style when T4E came out, he just seemed to lack the "power" and energy he had on previous albums. Apparently he felt the same way because I think he went back to his old style when they came back for VT.

Archived