Time & Motion

The Main Monkey Business

Ok, so Test for echo is not a very talked about album by 2.gif fans and the majority would rank it as one of if not the worst of their albums.

With the exception of the title track, resist, driven and maybe limbo I would largely agree but having overlooked this album for a long time I gave it a good long listen and a pure gem shone through - Time & Motion.

I cannot stop listening to it and it is quickly becoming one of my favourite Rush songs - love the heavy guitar, the lyrics and the way Geddy sings them.

So thought I would start an appreciation thread for this underrated and ignored masterpiece and see what sort of reception it gets from other fans and if they would like to hear it on a future tour.

The mighty ocean, dances, with the moon 1022.gif

It's their 90's prog rock statement. With Time and Motion, they showed they could create a truly epic song within a neat 5-minute timeframe...

Time and motion, flesh and blood and fire. Lives connect in webs of gold and razor wire.

Something about those chord progressions just sounds unsettling. But in a badass way. 1022.gif

It's probably the 2nd best song after Driven on T4E.

Sometimes, SOMETIMES that beginning "Grand Designs-y" keyboard thing at the beginning sounds sorta' cheesy but overall it's a killer track.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Apr 13 2010, 11:34 AM)
It's probably the 2nd best song after Driven on T4E.

Sometimes, SOMETIMES that beginning "Grand Designs-y" keyboard thing at the beginning sounds sorta' cheesy but overall it's a killer track.

Yeah I think its the sound they chose, not the actual writing or arrangement of it.

It sounds like those cheap synths you can find on a $100 casio keyboard, no clue why they chose it, but I dont think it hurts the song much.

I LOVE "Time and Motion" and I too always refer to it as a "hidden gem".

It's a good heavy song that I bet would be great performed live.

I think it's the best song on the album, with "Driven" at second.

/listening now

my fav on the album. not a great album, but I remember getting it a midnight at the House of Guitars in Rochester NY when it came out. and I thought the tour was great too. I really like Diff Stages.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Apr 13 2010, 05:15 PM)
It was performed live in 96 for the first few shows of the T4E tour before they dropped it. From what I recall it sounded pretty awesome live.

yes it did. I saw them in Buffalo on the second show of that tour and it was really heavy.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 13 2010, 05:58 PM)
I think this whole record is a bit under-appreciated honestly.

Its sort of the " lost " Rush album. No one ever talks abo0ut it. Youll have thread upon thread about the hatred of roll The Bones, but poor old TFE gets no feedback . laugh.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 13 2010, 05:58 PM)
I think this whole record is a bit under-appreciated honestly.

Its sort of the " lost " Rush album. No one ever talks abo0ut it. Youll have thread upon thread about the hatred of roll The Bones, but poor old TFE gets no feedback . laugh.gif

QUOTE (Solitudeix @ Apr 13 2010, 05:14 PM)
my fav on the album. not a great album, but I remember getting it a midnight at the House of Guitars in Rochester NY when it came out. and I thought the tour was great too. I really like Diff Stages.

Rock on dude! You local? I live only a few miles from the H.O.G

I was probably at that midnight sale too,lol. can't remember.

I always liked this track for the same reasons most others do...Its Proggy, and the melodies are angular. I asociate this angular sound with the Camera Eye.

The solo freaken Smokes on it, Alex really nailed it. The tone on his guitar is so sweet. So, 'right at the edge, but not over it'.

For the rest of t4e The title track is my fav. and Driven is classic. I like Dog Years for it's punkyness and lyrical twists, but I will admit, I dont play the song very much...

But since I just brought it up, I think I'll give it a listen!

But I digress, I don't mean to start a beathorse.gif thread.

So yeah. Time and motion is cool.

Love Time and Motion!

That heavy break reminds me so much of my favorite Rush song, Cygnus, I was floored when I first gave TFE a spin!

It struck me as a "back to roots" recording.

Interestingly, the release of TFE coincided with my first realt time on the Internet, since my local radio station had previewed a song from the new record. We had just connected online at work, and while searching for info about the TFE release, I stumbled onto my first 'net message board, The National Midnight Star, a Rush forum.

So much about that album just coincided with events in my life at that time, the 'net (Virtuality) the above mentioned link with T&M, Test for Echo's call to fans, the art.

TFE was my favorite "new" Rush album for many years....

They pulled this out the first time I saw them on the T4E tour but had dropped it by the summer. This is one of the best tunes from the last three or so albums. I always liked most of the songs. Totem, Driven, T4E, Limbo, and Resist are fantastic. Carve, Half, great. Dog Years I could never get used to and Virtuality had a great riff but the chorus was not one of my favorite moments.

Archived