Guess the Setlist!

I had thought CTTH was practically a given. I also seen to remember rumblings that AFTK was rehearsed before the second leg of the S&A Tour in 2008.

As for Fly By Night, well, that was merely a wish. I based the rest of my set around songs I've heard the guys say they were interested in playing through the past few years (I seem to remember Alex mentioning "Grand Designs"), or songs that the band were rumored to have been practicing (CTTH and AFTK).

Trust me, if I posted the setlist I'd LIKE to see, it'd have "Where's My Thing?," "Chain Lightning," "Open Secrets," all of "Xanadu," etc. 

I didn't say that none of those could be played, but to put all of those on one setlist is unrealistic. There's certainly a good chance for Closer to the Heart but the guys said once in a recent interview that they're considering bringing it back, it was far from a promise. I think it's a good bet but far from a given. A Farewell to Kings was rehearsed last tour and they were uncomfortable with it, I doubt they'll try it again this soon if ever. There's probably 0% chance of Fly by Night ever. Of most of those other songs I could see maybe one of them but I think outside of the 2 new songs we're likely to hear and all of Moving Pictures we're going to hear either songs that have been common recently or else songs that we haven't heard in a long time but used to be regulars in the set like Time Stand Still or Nobody's Hero or The Big Money or Earthshine. They're almost certain to still play a lot of Vapor Trails and S&A songs. You've got 1 song from Vapor Trails, a song they've never played before, and 2 from S&A including a 2 minute instrumental. Figure more like 7 or 8 songs between them. I think Workin' Them Angels is a virtual shoe-in for the set just to name one.

I'm not complaining about any of this, I'm just hoping that others stay level headed with their expectations so they can enjoy the show like I will.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LSM made a very good point. Moving Pictures in order in the same key as it originally was would be murder on GeddyFinal.gif voice. It would make more sense to spread the album across the entire night.

For me, I am not taking a guess. While being right when I was younger, I could almost never get the opening song. It would drive me nuts. For R30, an old friend of mine was actually correct in Tom Sawyer while I disagreed.

It could be that that open again with Tom Sawyer but with Limelight and Tom Sawyer already done. I'm think they might go with an older favorite starter: The Spirit of Radio

Other than that, they will play all of MP and NeilFinal.gif will have his solo. After that, there are a few I think they'll play....

For R30, an old friend of mine was actually correct in Tom Sawyer while I disagreed.

Tom Sawyer was actually the opener on the Vapor Trails tour, not R30. On that tour they opened with the R30 Overture into The Spirit of Radio. Tom Sawyer opened the second set.

I would use the 2007 Snakes & Arrows setlist as a model for what to expect this tour - just dropping a handful of snakes songs and adding in 2 new songs. Not the exact same songs, but same concept in that the 2007 tour had a bunch of hits, a bunch of new songs, a few 2nd tier standards, and about a half dozen songs songs that hadn't been played in 20+ years, or ever.

Aye. The model for this tour will probably be thus: Moving pictures (most likely played start to finish), a few new songs (possibly a bit different each night), a few 1st and 2nd tier standards (several of the 1st tier standards being on MP anyway), and a half dozen or so rares.

Given the title of the tour, I wouldent rule out some of those rares being from their old albums. I also wouldent rule out medleys, given that they would be loath to play them in full. Expect some R30 kind of stuff.

Let's see, It's late, I'm a little whacky from a long night--how about this set list:

Far Cry

Lock and Key

A Farewell to Kings

New Song

New Song

The Pass

Nobody's Hero

Dreamline

The Big Money

The Main Monkey Business

2112/Xanadu/Jacob's Ladder Medley

Intermission

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

The Camera Freaking Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

Mal Nar (Solo)

Subdivisions

CTTH

Spirit of Radio

Encore:

OLV

La Villa Strangiato

Far Cry
Lock and Key
A Farewell to Kings
New Song
New Song
The Pass
Nobody's Hero
Dreamline
The Big Money
The Main Monkey Business

Intermission

Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
YYZ
Limelight
The Camera Freaking Eye
Witch Hunt
Vital Signs
Mal Nar (Solo)
Subdivisions
CTTH
Spirit of Radio

Encore:
OLV
La Villa Strangiato

Now this is at least a much more realistic guess at a setlist.

I was thinking more about the placement of Moving Pictures in the set and someone suggested treating the intermission like flipping the album so they'd start the second set with The Camera Eye. That's a neat idea.

I don't think this is likely but I think an even better idea (if I do say so myself) would be to end the second set with Tom Sawyer through Limelight and then do the last three songs as the encore.

Think about it, they tend to end their second sets with a ton of hits anyway which is what the whole first side of MP is, and then the anticipation for the rest would be insane during the short break before the encore since you wouldn't have people trying to get back to their seats like after intermission and the energy level would stay sky-high after a shorter break. The second side of MP is about 20 minutes which would be perfect for an encore. After all this time waiting for The Camera Eye having it start the encore would be awesome. I think it would also keep the energy higher for the whole show if they kept the waiting/anticipation going instead of shooting their wad (all of MP) in the first set.

Anyone else with me?

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 18 2010, 09:26 AM)
Far Cry
Lock and Key
A Farewell to Kings
New Song
New Song
The Pass
Nobody's Hero
Dreamline
The Big Money
The Main Monkey Business

Intermission

Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
YYZ
Limelight
The Camera Freaking Eye
Witch Hunt
Vital Signs
Mal Nar (Solo)
Subdivisions
CTTH
Spirit of Radio

Encore:
OLV
La Villa Strangiato

Now this is at least a much more realistic guess at a setlist.

I was thinking more about the placement of Moving Pictures in the set and someone suggested treating the intermission like flipping the album so they'd start the second set with The Camera Eye. That's a neat idea.

I don't think this is likely but I think an even better idea (if I do say so myself) would be to end the second set with Tom Sawyer through Limelight and then do the last three songs as the encore.

Think about it, they tend to end their second sets with a ton of hits anyway which is what the whole first side of MP is, and then the anticipation for the rest would be insane during the short break before the encore since you wouldn't have people trying to get back to their seats like after intermission and the energy level would stay sky-high after a shorter break. The second side of MP is about 20 minutes which would be perfect for an encore. After all this time waiting for The Camera Eye having it start the encore would be awesome. I think it would also keep the energy higher for the whole show if they kept the waiting/anticipation going instead of shooting their wad (all of MP) in the first set.

Anyone else with me?

I love your idea, but I think it would be a shame to not hear a rush album performed from start to finish. There is a flow to MP that has never really been shown live. How about a 40 minute encore know as MOVING PICTURES!

Anyway I have a feeling about Lock and Key replacing Digital Man and A Farewell To Kings replacing Circumstances. I am just thinking wishfully on the return of The Pass and the retiring of The Trees and Freewill (I've just heard enough of those two over the last decade!)

Obviously we're going to hear the 5 songs that just landed in the song writing hall of fame. The question is where will they put CTTH; a song that none of them are enamored with. I hope they go back and listen to CTTH on DS and decide that it has the potential to be one helluva closer.

Also, I think The Big Money might return as the show opener--moving Far Cry to the encore and booting OLV. Perhaps Earthshine as a third encore....Ahhhh, so many possibilities.

HW

I am really freakin excited.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 16 2010, 04:50 PM)
I agree with those who have put 2112/Temples as the opener, and Im praying that this will be the case as I cant think of a more awesome beginning. I also think it will go well with the "time machine" theme.

It may sound like a good idea until you realize that at the vast majority of the shows they'd be playing that in broad daylight which would kill the power of it. I can't think of a better way to destroy the impact of that piece. Plus, a third of the crowd will still be looking for their seats.

That's actually a good point. My vision of the 2112 opener is the way it used to be, in an arena, lights down, pitch black. These damn sheds at sundown wont allow that.

That's actually a good point. My vision of the 2112 opener is the way it used to be, in an arena, lights down, pitch black. These damn sheds at sundown wont allow that.

No doubt, I'd agree with you if it were indoors.

QUOTE (PlaysLikeMyung @ Apr 18 2010, 07:16 PM)
Since this is a time machine tour, I'm expecting Rush to play at least one song from every album, in chronological order. I'll try to get a setlist together for this theory

I already did that (except for 2112 as opener and CTTH as encore).

In all honesty I don't think it will happen though. I think there will be little if any material from Roll the Bones to VT.

I really think the "Time Machine" name is really because of Moving Pictures. They always pull out a few things that haven't been played in ages if ever but I doubt this will even be as focused on their whole history as the R30 tour was. If they didn't play one song from each album on R30 then they certainly aren't going to now.

TSOR

Far Cry

The Big Money

Time Stand Still

Freewill

New Song

The Trees

Subdivisions

Workin' Them Angels

New Song

Mission

Jacob's Ladder

-----------------

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

The Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

Malignant Narcissism (w/drum solo)

Closer to the Heart

2112 Overture/Temples/Grand Finale

-----------------

Working Man (possibly w/medley)

La Villa Strangiato

The Spirit of Radio

The Big Money

Freewill

Ghost of a Chance

Far Cry

The Main Monkey Business

new song

The Trees

The Pass

new song

Jacob's Ladder

**intermission**

Moving Pictures

Closer to the Heart

Working Them Angels

MAL-NAR

DRUM SOLO

2112 (Overture & Temples)

Xanadu

Subdivisions

Working Man

Edited by nappy2112

Set One

The Spirit of Radio

The Analog Kid

Marathon

Force 10

Freewill

New Song

The Big Money

Red Sector A

Distant Early Warning

Mission

Digital Man

Manhatten Project

Jacobs Ladder

Set Two

Tom Saywer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

The Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

Subdivisions

New World Man

New Song

The Trees

Closer To The Heart

A Farewell To Kings

La Villa Strangiato

Xanadu

Encore

By Tor and the Snow Dog

Something for Nothing

Working Man

QUOTE (Echoes @ Apr 10 2010, 09:21 PM)
I'll try to keep it realistic ~

1. Far Cry
2. The Analog Kid
3. War Paint
4. Marathon
5. New Song
6. New Song
7. Bravado
8. Time and Motion
9. Faithless
10. Hemispheres (any part will do)
11. Jacobs Ladder

~intermission~

12. Tom Sawyer
13. Red Barchetta
14. YYZ
15. Limelight
16. The Camera Eye
17. Witch Hunt
18. Vital Signs
19. New Song
20. Ghost of a Chance
21. MalNar - Drum Solo
22. Different Strings
23. The Spirit of Radio

24. Subdivisions
25. Out of the Cradle
26. A Farewell to Kings

Just what I came up with now. It will probably change periodically
laugh.gif

Not realistic at all...other than Hemispheres and Farewell...why don't you try listening to an album produced before 1980.

Because its the final date on the tour, Rush will play a 3 1/2+ hour set in West Palm Beach !!

Set I

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

The Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

Analog Kid

Freewill

Xanadu

Distant Early Warning

Set 2

Spirit of the Radio

Subdivisions

2112/Overture/Temples

Red Barchetta

Roll The Bones

Ghost Rider

La Villa Strangiato

Cygnus X1

Natural Science

Between the Wheels

Working Them Angels

Encore 1

A Passage to Bangkok

Closer to the Heart

The Trees

Encore 2

New World Man

Anthem

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Encore 3

Bastille Day

Working Man/Finding My Way

QUOTE (Oziumrules @ May 5 2010, 11:53 PM)
Because its the final date on the tour, Rush will play a 3 1/2+ hour set in West Palm Beach !!

Set I

Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
YYZ
Limelight
The Camera Eye
Witch Hunt
Vital Signs
Analog Kid
Freewill
Xanadu
Distant Early Warning