Tour Venues

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Apr 8 2010, 01:25 PM)
Looks like they're playing the same arenas/amphitheaters here in CA they've been playing for the past 15 years or so.

Shaun, I'm in California too and noticed that. They've always done well out here.

In particular, I always go to the Irvine show and THAT always sells well and is always a blast. Great venue and great crowd.

Interesting they skipped San Diego...

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Apr 8 2010, 01:33 PM)
Looks like they're playing the same arenas/amphitheaters here in CA they've  been playing for the past 15 years or so.

Shaun, I'm in California too and noticed that. They've always done well out here.

In particular, I always go to the Irvine show and THAT always sells well and is always a blast. Great venue and great crowd.

I love seeing them in Irvine! It's a great venue and they always look like they're having a blast. I'll be there August 13!

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Apr 8 2010, 11:40 AM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Apr 8 2010, 01:33 PM)
Looks like they're playing the same arenas/amphitheaters here in CA they've  been playing for the past 15 years or so.

I love seeing them in Irvine! It's a great venue and they always look like they're having a blast. I'll be there August 13!

they always sound awesome in Irvine. But I'm definitely looking forward to the forum too. just like old times.

I saw them twice at the Forum back in the day for Signals and GUP. The sound at the Forum is much better than at the Staples Center. The sound at the Nokia Theatre in 2008 was the best I can remember. I guess they wanted a larger venue or had a scheduling problem.

Remember... this is considered a "warm-up tour" before a bigger, more extensive album tour next year. They'll hit the places they are missing this summer next year for sure, and they'll be back to bigger-sized venues across the board. In my opinion, it's sound strategy to branch out and hit places you might not usually play in a two-year tour scenario like this.

Because it is a "thank you" tour for many "I used to listen to Rush" fans, by playing Moving Pics entire album, this may be why they are playing fairs. I thought the same thing when I saw the line-up though.

This really seemed to be "hush-hush" though. In two days it went from rumor to reality. Im out of my mind over here.

Thanks Boys!!

rofl3.gif

I think a lot of well-respected bands go the state fair route these days as long as the accommodations are acceptable. I read over on CP that Justin Bieber and some other really-crappy-but-very-popular act is playing at least one fair gig. I hate to admit it, but Bieber is where it's at right now for the pop culture worshippers.

It's probably less money out of the band's pockets, for one thing. And it's not like it's a rickety wooden stage and Rush have to compete with the pig judging and the carnival rides for attendance. Rest assured, I am sure it won't be "Puppet Show and Rush" at all.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 8 2010, 02:00 PM)
I think a lot of well-respected bands go the state fair route these days as long as the accommodations are acceptable. I read over on CP that Justin Bieber and some other really-crappy-but-very-popular act is playing at least one fair gig. I hate to admit it, but Bieber is where it's at right now for the pop culture worshippers.

It's probably less money out of the band's pockets, for one thing. And it's not like it's a rickety wooden stage and Rush have to compete with the pig judging and the carnival rides for attendance. Rest assured, I am sure it won't be "Puppet Show and Rush" at all.

Excellent Spinal Tap reference. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm glad they're still playing the USANA in Salt Lake City as it is a great outdoor place for a show, have seen them the last two tours there. I'm surprised Portland got left out on this tour but Salt Lake is an hour closer to drive to than Portland anyway from here in Boise, where I'm sure they won't be playing anytime soon.

QUOTE (Bustersit @ Apr 8 2010, 01:59 PM)
Because it is a "thank you" tour for many "I used to listen to Rush" fans, by playing Moving Pics entire album, this may be why they are playing fairs. I thought the same thing when I saw the line-up though.

This really seemed to be "hush-hush" though. In two days it went from rumor to reality. Im out of my mind over here.

Thanks Boys!!
rofl3.gif

Not really hush hush. The guys have been talking about a summer tour in interviews for several months now including on a number of occasions over the past month. The decision to tour this summer was made late last year and venues started being booked late December - January.

This tour is going to be a booming success and I think more bands should do this kind of summer tour with one particular album featured..

Its a short notice tour and a surer sellout by playing smaller venues--and these venues' fees are much smaller. The boys played Sandstone in KC on S&A Leg 1 (as usual) and it was damn near packed, it must be a 15,000 capacity, but on Leg 2 they played Starlight Ampitheater which is probably an 8,000 capacity and it was full. They are just playing it safe the first time around. I also noticed they are playing a number of cities I don't think they've been to in a long time or ever, like Omaha and Witchita--which gives this KC boy some crazy thoughts...

QUOTE (g under p @ Apr 8 2010, 02:31 PM)
This tour is going to be a booming success and I think more bands should do this kind of summer tour with one particular album featured..

I agree. Steely Dan and Heart come to mind as bands that have played thei most popular albums in their entirety, but with Steely Dan i think they alternated between 3 albums depending on the venue.

This is brilliant marketing by the Rush camp, but I think it would have been an even bigger coup if they announced a Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures alternate album tour, where they go back and forth every other night. Especially with how hardcore Rush fans are, it would have drawn a lot more fans to 2 shows rather than 1

We get them in a brand new venue here in Pittsburgh, right across the street from the Civic Arena where they have played many times over the years. I am very happy that we get them in the fall at an indoor venue.

QUOTE (Apollo @ Apr 8 2010, 02:26 PM)
I'm glad they're still playing the USANA in Salt Lake City as it is a great outdoor place for a show, have seen them the last two tours there. I'm surprised Portland got left out on this tour but Salt Lake is an hour closer to drive to than Portland anyway from here in Boise, where I'm sure they won't be playing anytime soon.

Apollo! I'm in Twin Falls! I'll be hitting the USANA as well, and possibly Seattle and Vegas! I'm also fighting back the urge to drive to Albuquerque for the opening night!

Nice to see another Idaho Rush fan!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Apr 8 2010, 12:39 PM)
QUOTE (g under p @ Apr 8 2010, 02:31 PM)

I agree. Steely Dan and Heart come to mind as bands that have played thei most popular albums in their entirety, but with Steely Dan i think they alternated between 3 albums depending on the venue.

This is brilliant marketing by the Rush camp, but I think it would have been an even bigger coup if they announced a Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures alternate album tour, where they go back and forth every other night. Especially with how hardcore Rush fans are, it would have drawn a lot more fans to 2 shows rather than 1

yes.gif

They are playing my State Fair but I wouldn't say it's a downgrade for them. NYS Fair gets tons of big acts every year at their grandstand, acts they sell out arenas in a heartbeat (and more than just country bands too).

I'm pumped -- I'll be leaving work Sept. 2 at 5pm and will be at the fair 5:30 at the latest. WOOHOO!!!!

Playing the state fair in St. Paul is not a bad thing IMHO?? Saw Don Henley there back in 91' and it rocked. The Excel Center in St. Paul was 90% filled for the first concert in Sept. of 07 and only 65-70% full in May of 08' and I guess that I would rather be at an outdoor venue with a SRO audience than a 75-80% filled arena and be indoors, again IMHO. Damn, its gonna KICK ASS!! Edited by RushRebel65