A Father's Dilemma

ashpkt

Do I bring the budding Rush fan in my daughter or do I blow the budget on me and get great seats in first say 5 rows?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do I bring the budding Rush fan in my daughter or do I blow the budget on me and get great seats in first say 5 rows?

• Do the fatherly thing, bring the kid
    • You've been a fan for over 20yrs, be selfish and treat yourself

A Father's Dilemma

Never been close to front row which I feel is a moral imperative to do at some point. To accomplish that I'll probably have to give up the notion of buying two tix and bringing my daughter; she did attend S&A with me and loved it.

Need help on this one. Is it worth it to sit so close that you sacrifice someone else being able to enjoy also?

But if there's anyway you can swing getting 2 tix for you and your daughter, I'd do that in a heartbeat. It's an experience she'd never forget.

You didn't say how old she is though. If she's very young, I'd leave her at home and treat myself. But if she's older (tween/teen age), I would most likely suck it up and take her.

I've taken my son Alex to the last two Rush shows. He was 7 and 8 respectively. First show I took him to was an outdoor show and we ended up on the lawn (because the WHOLE DAMN FAMILY CAME! That's the only way we could afford it!). I ended up with him on my shoulders most of the night and it was not the most enjoyable Rush concert I've been to for that reason. Was WAY far back and my back was killing me when it was done! Second one was indoor, and we had really decent seats...and no 65 pound kid on my shoulders. MUCH more enjoyable! My boy will go with me and the hubby to the Salt Lake show, but if I am able to see another date on this tour I may have to do it alone! I already told my husband that we might have to take out a second mortgage because I AM getting front row seats this time!!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Take the kid. There's always next year for great seats.

Do both, i did. Get the lawn seats for the family and Great seats for you at another show

When I was 10 my oldest bro, who was 21 at the time, took me to my first concert: 2.gif, New World Tour. Our other 2 bros that also went were teens at the time. They went down to the front (general admission and all that) while biggest bro and I sat from a distance. He could've left me at home and gone with the other 2 bros and rocked and screamed like a maniac down on the floor. But instead, he sat back with me and bought me a doggy t-shirt and a starman sticker from the vendors. In many ways that's still the best gig I ever saw. So yeah, take the kid. She'll never forget it.

Oh myyy, haven't been on here in forever! ^^; Anyhow, take your daughter with you, when she'll be older, she'll be so grateful she got to have such a wonderful dad who took her to Rush shows when she was young and she will remember it! wink.gif

If your kid is old enough to appreciate the greatness of the show and it is thier first time seeing Rush, suck it up and get some some good seats (for the kid too). I did with mine, and it was a great investment.

Either way, take your kid. It is our responsibility as parents to properly influence and school these young skulls of mush rofl3.gif

I am doing the lawn seats with by boy. He is 18 and this will be his third Rush show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, she already has gone once with her good ol' dad so I would be inclined to treat yourself this time. I can tell you the time I was able to be within a few feet of the band it was very memorable. I'm guessing she would be happier down the line to share with you the memory of the time you were able to to see the sweat on their brow. Trust me, I have a daughter as well, go big for once man you wont regret it!

Bring the kid! No Question!

Rush has been together in it's current incarnation for 36 years. Many of us are hoping for the great run they've had to continue for another 10... 15... 20 years if possible. In order to do that the fan base will need fresh blood. Your daughter is an example of that fresh blood. Do everything imaginable to foster a Rush obsession in her so that the band will have reason to continue playing together into their 80's.

That and the whole magical-night-bonding-with-your-daughter thing. Yeah, that too.

Bring the kids! I'm bringing my son to the Milwaukee show. It will be his first. I'll pay the extra money for decent, not awsome seats. I want to share my excitement of this band with my son. That is something that I can't do if I'm in the front row and he's at home.

Just my opinion...See you at the show!

I'm with those who say take the daughter over the front row. It's the right thing to do; it's paying it forward: when she has kids, and debating a similar dilemma, she'll remember what you did for her, and she'll gladly make the same choice for her offspring.

There are many choices I make in my life based on choices my dad made for me and my siblings; it inspires me to do as well as my dad.

I would try to get good/great seats for both of you. I took my kids to the 2004 show, they were 5 & 8. Although the hubs had my son on his shoulders and we had nose-bleeds it was memorable for them.

This time around my daughter will be going for sure and I will get the best seats I can. I know the guys love seeing the next generation at their shows and she may not have many more times to experience this great band!

I wish my kids were old enough to bring. sad.gif

Bring your kids. What a great experience that would be.

I will admit though. Having front row seats ROCKS! 1022.gif

I would try and get the best seats possible and bring your daughter.

My son has been to 4 Rush shows and he'll be 12 when he sees number 5.

He loves it. (Although I have to say my son fell asleep for the second set of the Vapor Trails gig until Overture kicked in.) He already thinks he might get taken to a Rush show for his birthday and he's right.

I've been lucky enough to go to a few shows every leg. (Sacrifices must be made).

The family gig ALWAYS comes first. It's really hard to get 3 great seats in a row without over-paying for them. (Although its A LOT easier when they play arenas instead of sheds)

If there's a gig I feel I need to see for whatever reason, I'll do it alone. (Although this year I might not buy tickets when they go on sale).

Then there are friends (or my wife might want to go again) who might want to go so there is one gig for that. (I doubt that will happen this summer.)

I'd like to see them from the first few rows and maybe that will happen one day.

It's really cool watching from a great seat alone, but there is NOTHING that beats sharing the whole experience with your family. Unfortunately, it's also damned expensive these days.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Apr 8 2010, 08:27 AM)
Take the kid...cement the greatness of a RUSH concert in her head. The next generation will have far less opportunity for live shows...and someone has to carry the torch.

I agree Take her she'll enjoy just like my daughter will. She saw her first show on the VT tour and now she must see this tour since her favorite album is MP. Besides it's summertime what better thing to do for a child from a Dad. biggrin.gif

Peace

QUOTE (graylensman @ Apr 8 2010, 09:18 AM)
I'm with those who say take the daughter over the front row. It's the right thing to do; it's paying it forward: when she has kids, and debating a similar dilemma, she'll remember what you did for her, and she'll gladly make the same choice for her offspring.

There are many choices I make in my life based on choices my dad made for me and my siblings; it inspires me to do as well as my dad.

goodpost.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif You know it man!

Do the fatherly thing, bring the kid without a doubt.

And also check ebay for front row anywhere in the U.S. Get the tickets and take your daughter whereever you can get front row for. 2.gif

I took my then 12 year old daughter to the last tour and man was it worth it. Gotta take the kids.

She is 14 now and was excited as hell last night when I told her dates had been released. She's will be going again this year. Probably twice.

Edited by thesweetscience

QUOTE (furie @ Apr 8 2010, 10:25 PM)
you're time has come and gone. it's time to teach the new generation about prog rock.

i am taking this approach myself.

for years a rush ticket to me meant a license to go ape shit and party like no tomorrow. While I would still prefer to do that its no longer just about me.

If your kid likes rush, you are creating a memory that will never die.

My mom did not like rush but she took me to see the PW tour and I am still thankful to her for that.