17 members have voted

1. 1. No more land line or desktop computer

• I have no land phone line
    • I have no land phone line or desktop computer
    • No desktop computer
    • I will probably have no land phone in 5 years
    • Don't see never in the future
    • Wont have line of desktop in 5 years

we still have a landline, cause this house is old, and phone service comes with our internet and TV service. I can't remember the last time I gave anyone my landline number though. I try to route as much of my own personal business to my cell as possible.

I still own an 8 year old Dell desktop that I use primarily for downloading. I use my laptops for everything else though. I may buy a new, mid-rangeish desktop sometime soon and put several very large (multiple terabyte) internal hard drives in it so i dont need to carry externals all over the damn house with me.

I will ALWAYS have a landline phone because once the solar storms flare up, cellular communications will probably crap out a lot. Plus I prefer regular telephones over cellular phones. Less radiation.

As for desktop computers...nothing wrong with them. I'll always have one for my desk. I also have a laptop, though...for travelling or while at school.

We still have a landline because the security system requires it. The discount on my home owners insurance offsets the cost of the landline.

If it weren't for the security system, we would have no landline.

As far as computers go, my wife and I both have laptops. My son has a desktop (mostly for gaming).

Edited by JimboGames

I'm a big guy and don't care much for little laptops, any time I am away on business and have to use my laptop it annoys me - both the little keyboard and the touch pad controls. I know I *could* use a regular mouse and keyboard with the laptop and even a big assed monitor if I wanted, but what would be the point?

So yeah I have both a laptop and desktop. Given I am in a spot where I can use either I prefer the desktop. I have a land line and cell phone, given I am in a spot where I can use either I prefer the land line.

If I could only have one and not the other, out of mobility and necesity I guess I would only have a cell phone and laptop...

edit: Oh and good on Tom Sawyer to be able to navigate a keyboard when he is that hammed. His hand eye co-ordination was there as well as his ability to form words. Sentences? Not so much.

Tequila!

trink39.gif

laugh.gif

Edited by Godeater2112

Still have both.

I keep the land line because my wife is used to it and she doesn't want to nuke it.

I keep a desktop because I want my huge 27" screen for film scoring.

We will probably get rid of the land line in the next few years. The desktop is here to stay.

QUOTE (The Gangster of Boats @ Apr 6 2010, 04:25 PM)
I telecommute, so I have to have a landline, and a desktop.
I don't have a laptop, damned keyboards is fecking tiny.

psst! it's not 1991 anymore... wink.gif

Dropped the land phone line last spring but kept DSL service and use cell phones as our communications. No sense in having a phone service that's rarely used and paying for it.

Have a number of desktops in the house, as well as a number of servers. Also, currently have a laptop and a netbook. But, have been slowly consolidating servers and desktops down to cut electricity use. Hoping to get down to two servers and the laptops for the rest.