What TV series should we rent next?

rushgoober

I highly recommend The Trailer Park Boys. You did not have this one in the choices you mentioned, so I'm not sure it will suit your tastes, but it is hysterical. Be forewarned their is drug use/growing and some foul language.

I just watched Countdown to Liquor Day last weekend and I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes. Weeds is also a good show but again there's drug use.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

like Jack n GeddyRulz mentioned previously

FARSCAPE YES! and Firefly for sure and for a trilogy of F? (hopefully you can rent) Fringe!

Take X files and hit it with a couple doses of LSD n Steroids The whole first season? not a dead one in the bunch OR season two for that matter!

EDIT: saw mention of TPB and drug use, yes there is some in Fringe also. Dr. Bishop uses LSD at times to either experiment or clear his mind rofl3.gif

Edited by BeOhBe Bob

Just my input as a woman on Soprano's. I recently started watching this series on someone else's suggestion....had never seen one episode before, but had heard good things about it.

Initially, there were a few uneasy moments for me -- and I was a bit disappointed in the portrayal of females. But I hung in there.

Am about halfway through the first season now (maybe more)...and I can say I am genuinely enjoying it. Yes, there's a booby shot in almost every episode...and someone gets shot in almost every episode....but the character development and storyline are good. And I'm not sure of the name of the guy who plays the lead character....but he's great. James Garafino maybe? (something like that)

And it's surprisingly funny. I don't think there's been one episode that hasn't made me laugh out loud.

So good luck trying to get your wife to watch it. I think it's worth the effort. I watch it while I'm on the treadmill....and it makes the time fly by. Refreshing to actually laugh now and then while I'm killing myself on the treadmill.

Let us know if you guys try it and what the Mrs. thinks.

Celine

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 17 2010, 08:08 AM)
Dude, trust me on Farscape!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, and I'm sure other series mentioned will happen in the future, but the first one we're going for is Farscape - the first 2 discs arrive tomorrow. Thanks, Jack! smile.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 20 2010, 04:13 PM)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, and I'm sure other series mentioned will happen in the future, but the first one we're going for is Farscape - the first 2 discs arrive tomorrow. Thanks, Jack! smile.gif

Sure, man. Just be warned that after watching Farscape you're gonna throw rocks at Star Trek!

Edit: By the way, everyone else has offered some fantastic suggestions in this thread so make sure to give them due consideration as well!

Edited by Jack Aubrey

BREAKING BAD , DEXTER , NIP/TUCK , CALIFORNICATION ,...The wife and I are addicted to these shows. After seeing what you've rented so far, I think you'll like them. Wait...I totally misread the shows you posted for examples. Dont ask me how. These might not interest you. Sorry. Edited by Andrew1

QUOTE (JoenataArctica @ Mar 19 2010, 10:44 PM)
Psych

Ugh. You are the first person I have encountered, either live or online, who likes that ridiculous show.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 21 2010, 10:17 AM)
Psych

Ugh. You are the first person I have encountered, either live or online, who likes that ridiculous show.

I love psych! It makes me laugh.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 17 2010, 10:46 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Mar 17 2010, 11:59 AM)
The Sopranos

It's really a drama that happens to have some Mob stuff in it.  It's not like Goodfellas.

I'll try again, but the wife nixed that idea previously. She's really not into mob stuff at all and always rolls her eyes and leaves the room when I watch The Godfather or Goodfellas or Donnie Brasco, which is pretty much every time they come on.

I'll try and tell her it's not all mob stuff, and I know it's highly acclaimed - at least we can maybe try the first disc and see if she likes it...

Same with me. I think you either like mob stuff or hate it. As soon as I hear those cheesy trashy accents, I'm done.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 21 2010, 11:21 AM)
Psych

If I met a real life version of Sean, I'd probably punch him within the first two minutes of being introduced.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 21 2010, 10:29 AM)
Psych

If I met a real life version of Sean, I'd probably punch him within the first two minutes of being introduced.

laugh.gif So you'd hang out with Gus?

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 21 2010, 11:31 AM)
Psych

Probably not, but I think I could stand to at least be in the same room with him without wanting to stab my eardrums out with a meat fork.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 21 2010, 07:45 AM)

Sure, man. Just be warned that after watching Farscape you're gonna throw rocks at Star Trek!

laugh.gif Don't hold your breath on that one. no.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 21 2010, 10:35 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 21 2010, 11:31 AM)
Psych

Probably not, but I think I could stand to at least be in the same room with him without wanting to stab my eardrums out with a meat fork.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

I don't know if it's been said yet but I highly enjoyed the Friday the 13th series from the late 80's / early 90s.

3 people try to get back a bunch of cursed antiques that kill people. Very cool IMO. There were 3 seasons but for season 3 one of the main characters was replaced and it wasn't as good.

You should check that out. cool.gif

Ok, so far we've watched through Disc 3 of Season 1 - we've seen 12 episodes total.

Basically, it's a GREAT show. yes.gif

It's not going to unseat Star Trek TNG as my all time fave show, and I wouldn't even say it's as great as the recent Battlestar Galactica, but we're talking about small degrees of greatness here.

The show was a tad slow at first - we liked it, but weren't wild about it. It just had to grow on us and we had to get to know the characters and have the characters and story develop a bit.

The episode that clinched it for me as something really special was "Mad Scientist DNA" if you remember that one. That episode was DARK, but it was so, so good. Not every episode is good as every other, but it's consistently a great show.

Anyway, still plenty more to watch. Thanks for the recommend, as we're thoroughly enjoying it! trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 30 2010, 12:27 PM)

Ok, so far we've watched through Disc 3 of Season 1 - we've seen 12 episodes total.

Basically, it's a GREAT show. yes.gif

It's not going to unseat Star Trek TNG as my all time fave show, and I wouldn't even say it's as great as the recent Battlestar Galactica, but we're talking about small degrees of greatness here.

The show was a tad slow at first - we liked it, but weren't wild about it. It just had to grow on us and we had to get to know the characters and have the characters and story develop a bit.

The episode that clinched it for me as something really special was "Mad Scientist DNA" if you remember that one. That episode was DARK, but it was so, so good. Not every episode is good as every other, but it's consistently a great show.

Anyway, still plenty more to watch. Thanks for the recommend, as we're thoroughly enjoying it! trink39.gif

Wow, I just saw another episode equal in stature to Mad Scientist DNA called A Human Reaction. That one just messed with my head. yes.gif

edit: Silly me I misunderstood the entire premise of this thread. Those were actually series you've ALREADY watched. Ahhhhhhh.... of well good to know at least that other than Rush we actually do share the same taste in *some* stuff at least. laugh.gif

For what it is worth Battlestar Galactica and LOST are two of the favorite series in history in my house, and we're not such hardcore sci-fi nerds that we ever watched Babylon 5 or new Star Treks or any of that kind of stuff.

The drama and acting and edginess of both those series are just phenomenal. We miss Galactica *very* much and when LOST ends we will be lost with little to watch on the tube with our two favorite series ever now expired.

The other on your list which is totally totally different in style from the other two I mentioned, but *excellent* nonetheless is True Blood. From campy to hilarious to mystery to horror to crazy cliffhangers at the end of almost every episode.... you may really enjoy that series also. We sure do here and are looking forward to the second season starting in June.

1022.gif

Edited by Godeater2112