61 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Muse studio Album

• Showbiz
    • Origin of Symmetry
    • Absolution
    • Black Holes and Revelations
    • The Resistance

MUSE OKC 2010

Pics from last night's show. Holy cow!! AMAZING!!! Second time to see them and once again, an all out ASSAULT on the senses. There are two bands I'll see every time they're even somewhat close to me, Rush and these guys. WOW!

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Oct 9 2010, 07:29 PM)
MUSE OKC 2010

Pics from last night's show. Holy cow!! AMAZING!!! Second time to see them and once again, an all out ASSAULT on the senses. There are two bands I'll see every time they're even somewhat close to me, Rush and these guys. WOW!

Brilliant photos! Thanks for posting trink39.gif

I saw them with that stage set-up at the O2 in London last year and it was phenomenal. Also saw them on the second night at Wembley Stadium last month. Completely different show but wow, what a performance, and the atmosphere was amazing.

Take A Bow/Plug In Baby at Wembley Stadium

Copying and pasting my post from the Concert Reviews thread

"I just want to say how happy I am that I went to the second night of Muse at Staples Center. I thought hearing MK Ultra was incredible the first night.

I've seen them twice so far on the Resistance tour (Oakland, Coachella) and 6 times combined but these past two nights (specifically night 2):

I have NEVER seen the band like this before and if this is the kind of show they treat their U.K fans to nightly then I have to say that I am incredibly jealous. Matt and Dom both talked a lot over the course of both nights and the crowds were incredible.

We got Bliss and Ruled by Secrecy!

The outro to Stockholm Syndrome on night 2 (The longest Muse jam to this day) was so heavy and amazing. Matt was tearing shit up. Even Neutron Star Collision was great. Absolutely incredible show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpzvUPbbivQ...player_embedded

Stockholm Syndrome Outro

QUOTE (willowroolz @ Oct 10 2010, 04:56 AM)
MUSE OKC 2010

I saw them with that stage set-up at the O2 in London last year and it was phenomenal. Also saw them on the second night at Wembley Stadium last month. Completely different show but wow, what a performance, and the atmosphere was amazing.

Would love to hear Take A Bow and Bliss live at some point. Very nice! trink39.gif

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Oct 10 2010, 04:13 PM)
Copying and pasting my post from the Concert Reviews thread

"I just want to say how happy I am that I went to the second night of Muse at Staples Center. I thought hearing MK Ultra was incredible the first night.

I've seen them twice so far on the Resistance tour (Oakland, Coachella) and 6 times combined but these past two nights (specifically night 2):

I have NEVER seen the band like this before and if this is the kind of show they treat their U.K fans to nightly then I have to say that I am incredibly jealous. Matt and Dom both talked a lot over the course of both nights and the crowds were incredible.

We got Bliss and Ruled by Secrecy!

The outro to Stockholm Syndrome on night 2 (The longest Muse jam to this day) was so heavy and amazing. Matt was tearing shit up. Even Neutron Star Collision was great. Absolutely incredible show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpzvUPbbivQ...player_embedded
Stockholm Syndrome Outro

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Oct 11 2010, 01:32 PM)
QUOTE (willowroolz @ Oct 10 2010, 04:56 AM)
MUSE OKC 2010

Would love to hear Take A Bow and Bliss live at some point. Very nice! trink39.gif

Ooh, they played Bliss at the stadium as well:

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I've managed to piece together the whole set from vids on YouTube - not as good as being there but it'll do until we get a dvd smile.gif

Thats one of the many things I love about Muse. They change their set-list!! its great! But I am jealous because they didn't play 'Bliss' when I saw them. I would like to see them in England. England always has better crowds and usually better crowds means a better performance by the band.

Oh my god.... *breathes deeply* I must come back here after I've collected myself... I think I just had a meltdown of AWESOME. Sorry, this is why I never joined a muse forum. I would have died.

QUOTE (garbo @ Nov 9 2010, 08:49 PM)
Oh my god.... *breathes deeply* I must come back here after I've collected myself... I think I just had a meltdown of AWESOME. Sorry, this is why I never joined a muse forum. I would have died.

laugh.gif

Not trying to be a dick for those Muse fans who haven't seen them live but... I'm kinda mad that I saw them. Great show, great setlist, awesome atmosphere... but the problem was that I didn't know the band like I know Rush, so I didn't know all of the lyrics and whatnot. The same thing sorta applied when I saw Green Day, but I knew their stuff better than I knew Muse. Thankfully, the next time I see them I'll know more lyrics, and hopefully I'll be on the floor so I can jump around. biggrin.gif

Alright, here it goes.

Be prepared for the fangirling to begin. It may get scary (not obscene. I'm not like that, in fact I actually find that offensive, although I have a class-act A+ sense of humor). You may need to shield your eyes.

We have a local radio station that plays world/obscure/sometimes foreign rap/bizarro music. It's our speciality radio station via our University. So when Muse came on the circuit, this radio station jumped on them. When I transferred Universities, I was into Pink Floyd and concept bands and bands that were willing to musically go where classical musicians went (listen, fools, composers were f*cked up. They had no morals, except maybe Dvorak) and were inspired by the likes of Orwell and Golding and love conspiracy theories and blah blah blah. And glitter pants.

So, one day, many years ago, I was listening to weirdo radio station when Muse came on. I almost had a car accident. Maybe I did. No, I didn't. I pulled over. I sat back. Maybe I had a seizure. It was, like, Jesus' second coming. It was like a tabula rosa- if my car had been a sweat lodge and I had been John Locke circa the third season of LOST... oh, the stupid analogies are endless.

I wrote down the lyrics to Hysteria, drove my car home (somehow... probably by magic for all I know), looked them up on my sister's G4, and discovered Muse.

After that I bought everything (which by that point they only had three albums out, which isn't much).

Since then I've followed them as obsessively as I feasibly can (I'm obsessive, but not, if that makes sense. I will fangirl it out with the best of them, but because I am private, I respect that of others and hold a distance). As much as I loved Knights of Cydonia as a single, Black Holes and Revelations was a bit of a let down, albeit the lyrics were kind of awesome (Hoodoo, Assassin, and Map of the Problematique all are stellar in that department), but I do think The Resistance, especially with the Exogeneis fake symphony (symphonies have four movements; concertos have three; I think Matt did this on purpose), really bumped Muse back up again (plus it's based off of 1984).

I think Origin remains my favorite of their albums, but I really love all of them for their various reasons. Plus I love that Muse, like Rush, continuously evolves. I expect their next album to be totally different, but distinctly Muse.

This past year my sister called me up and was like, "Guess what?" and I was like, "What, fool?" and she announced that she bought us Muse tickets for our birthdays (we have birthdays very close together). WICKED! Pumped, I headed up to Ohio to see them, only to get super sick and end up in the hospital the day of the concert. However, I made my sister go to see them and she, being the kickass sister she is, took pictures with my phone and got me a t-shirt. Aw. And during the concert, she would call me, put the phone to the audio, and ask me what song they were playing!! And I'm so obsessed I knew what song they were playing... ph34r.gif As I was ralphing.

Then they came to Voodoo, so my friend and I went and we managed to get in the fourth row, which was killer and they were so worth it, although the American audiences are awful. Since I've been into them a lot longer than most Americans have been, I know all of their stuff (one of the guys I made a bet with had no idea Showbiz was their debut album, let alone one of their albums. What kills me is that they don't even play anything from Showbiz anymore. I love Muscle Museum. Whatever). Many times I was the only one singing and jumping up and down, which got me some odd stares even from guys in the audience and during MK Ultra Matt directly looked right at me (because I was the only one bouncing up and down- ha. I probably looked like an idiot, but I don't care!). In my defense, I warned people around me and there were two Twilight fans, so... they were properly warned. They had no excuses.

So, they encompass everything I love in a band- good musicality, weird space age music, conspiracy theories, concept albums (Absolution was based off Pink Floyd's The Wall and I already said what The Resistance was based off of; plus all of their albums are very post-apocalyptic) and if you go into the Rush section of the forum I wrote up a massive comparison of the two bands. And of course I can find a lot of criticism of them, too. They're not perfect and I think they can still grow, but right now I'm basking in their glory. And I hope that Matt ditches Kate Hudson.

Some pictures I got of Muse at Voodoo. PLEASE do not steal.

Dom and Chris walked on in demure jeans and t-shirts and Matt walked in an outfit that would have given Lady GaGa a run for her money (he's known to do this).

And rockstars must have fans.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/Garbo/CIMG2057.jpg

Glitter pants, must have glitter pants.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/Garbo/40136_461335405736_517040736_6027806_5836684_n.jpg

Chris, Muse's bassist, during Hysteria

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/Garbo/72533_461332595736_517040736_6027704_7058950_n.jpg

Matt with his sweet piano

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/Garbo/73778_461333510736_517040736_6027726_456329_n.jpg

My favorite shot that I got.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/Garbo/77169_461335770736_517040736_6027824_7800483_n.jpg

Matt and Dom during Resistance (the song).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/Garbo/148174_461331455736_517040736_6027680_5362464_n.jpg

Edited by garbo

QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 3 2011, 12:02 PM)
i got them all now except for showbiz. still liking them a lot. they are my sons favorite band and in a strange twist of events even my wife loves them.
the live dvd HAARP sealed the deal for me.

The Music was great, but I really hated the video editing on the HAARP dvd.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 19 2011, 07:53 PM)
So far, I've heard the last 3 albums.

>heard the last 3 albums

>last 3 albums

>missing Showbiz and Origin of Symmetry

Son, you best go out and pick those two up, assuming they're in stores. If not, download them. Origin owns.

Oh, and FWIW...

Origin > Black Holes > Abso = Showbiz = The Resistance

I had been hating on how "pop" The Resistance is, but a few listens recently have changed that. It hasn't suddenly become my favorite, but it's a very good record. I think the only let-downs are "Guiding Light" and the French part on "I Belong to You" (and maybe "Undisclosed Desires", but it's actually okay), but otherwise it's a solid album.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 20 2011, 09:41 PM)
Oh, and FWIW...

Origin > Black Holes > Abso = Showbiz = The Resistance

I had been hating on how "pop" The Resistance is, but a few listens recently have changed that. It hasn't suddenly become my favorite, but it's a very good record. I think the only let-downs are "Guiding Light" and the French part on "I Belong to You" (and maybe "Undisclosed Desires", but it's actually okay), but otherwise it's a solid album.

Origins does own.

And I like "Guiding Light", especially the solo. It doesn't quite have the build up of say "Invincible" though.

The french part in "I belong to you" makes an already bad song worse IMO.

I hated "undisclosed desires" at first but it grew on me after awhile. The slap bass saves it for me.

1. Absolution - Heavy, Dark, Technical. Lots of fun. The album is extremely cohesive, and they really show off their musicianship. This is the album that sold Muse to me. Love it.

2. Black Holes and Revelations - Blending some of their more technical prog elements with some pop sounds really well. Any album that gets me thinking about genres that I typically don't like in a good light is a success in my eyes.

3. Resistance - Despite some overplay in the media, I like this album a lot. Extremely cohesive, to the point where I almost get a 'Coheed and Cambria' feel from it. The Exogenesis suite really sells it at the end. Great album.

4. Showbiz - I like this album, but I just don't find myself drawn back to it. The track Fillip is a lot of fun. Uno and Cave are also Muse classics. I also want to note that this has one of my favorite album covers ever.

5. Origins of Symmetry - I don't get it. 52 minutes of arpeggios that doesn't really go anywhere. I've listened to this album over and over hoping it would click, but it just doesn't. I genuinely like all of Muse's other albums, but not this one at all. No heart, one trick... Meh.

Edited by KenJennings

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jul 21 2011, 10:52 PM)
5. Origins of Symmetry - I don't get it. 52 minutes of arpeggios that doesn't really go anywhere. I've listened to this album over and over hoping it would click, but it just doesn't. I genuinely like all of Muse's other albums, but not this one at all. No heart, one trick... Meh.

Really? not even "New Born"? 'Plug in Baby'? the opening riff alone is fantastic. 'Citizen Erased' is one of their best songs IMO. I love that whole album so I am biased of course but I would think there are some songs that would really grab you especially if you liked their other albums.

A week ago, I didn't know who MUSE was. Then, I discovered Resistance. Wow, I love it. I'm going to put in an Amazon order and buy the rest of their CDS and get the HAARP DVD, maybe other live performance DVDs if they are available. (any recommendations?) I have to admit, I feel excited about my MUSE awakening just like I felt when I woke up to RUSH about 3 years ago. Better late than never, right?

It looks like Muse is currently on tour but unfortunately not anywhere near where I live. Darn.

I'm a Muse newbie. I recently acquired the 5 Cd's in this poll. The quality of their music is very good IMO. The words are interesting also. I even like the falsetto voice that shows up on some of the songs. Still working on determining my favorite CD.