"Abraham Lincoln Vampire Killer!"

RUSHHEAD666

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 9 2010, 07:38 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 9 2010, 05:00 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 9 2010, 12:17 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 9 2010, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Mar 8 2010, 07:52 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 3 2010, 05:11 AM)
Maybe you are right?  I haven't a clue.  All of that "Twilight" crap has put the whole "vampire" genre back on the corporate map.

I read the first 20 pages.  Don't really know what to expect.  Could be a waste of time.

I tried to read King's "Under The Dome" and I failed.  Couldn't make it out of the 4th chapter.

Some people aren't born to read.  I'm one of them.

no.gif Geddy Rulz is never right.

LOL! So far Rulz is not right.

The book thus far is very historic and quite boring. Shit I feel like I'm back in school.

Still sticking with it though!

Why? It's just a book. If it's not enjoyable then don't finish it. It's like finishing a terrible movie. Just turn the damn set off or walk out. Don't regret it later and say, "Man, why the hell did I sit [and watch/read] through that?"

A few years back, MANY folks were raving about Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code [whether it had something to do with the movie is neither here nor there] so I decided to read it. After a few chapters into it, I felt like I was just trying to hang on. But I wanted to stick it out and finish it. Well, I did finish it but I don't feel any better for it. Something as enjoyable as reading can be shouldn't have to be endured.

I totally agree. (Although I liked the Da Vinci Code! tongue.gif ) If the book doesn't hold my interest, I drop it and move on to something else. There's a lot of books and only so much time. I'm not going to waste my time on something that doesn't grab me; I'll find something that does.

On the other hand, I wonder how many good books I've missed out on over the years, because I think I might drop them too quickly. After all, it takes about 100 pages - or maybe the first quarter of a book - to establish the characters, setting, and what the central conflict of the story will be. It may be a little ruthless of me to say, "Nope, it's not grabbing me right away. Bye!"

Yeah, it's not like I'm tossing book out after a dozen pages and deeming, "Geez, this is crap!" tongue.gif

The Da Vinci Code felt like an adult version of some Hardy Boys mystery with extra supreme layers of pretentiousness. To me it read like Dan Brown was showing off all the shit that he researched.

laugh.gif