Night Ranger

Earthshine

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 22 2010, 11:17 AM)
I like them.

Never understood why Jack Blades never joined Styx though...when they've had a revolving door of bassists.

Interesting to note. Jack Blades and Tommy Shaw have two albums together. Their first one is called "Hallucination" and their second one is entitled "Influence."

"Dawn Patrol" and "Midnight Madness" are excellent records. "Seven Wishes" is ok but they went way too poppy on that record. "The Big Life" is awful.

Quick story about Brad Gillis. He lives out here in Walnut Creek and I used to see him jam in small pubs all the time on the weekends.

He's a great guy. I'm actually related to Brad by family. Not by blood.

Brad had a kid with my brother in law's sister many many years ago, so once in a blue moon I see Brad at family get togethers.

A few years ago Brad showed up at this pizza joint for a birthday party.

I was able to shoot the shit with him for quite some time.

He told me all about that story when he was given the job by Sharon and Ozzy to replace the fallen Randy Rhoads.

That story is true about Brad locking himself in his room and playing the guitar for a day to learn all of Randy's chops and solos.

He said it was a bitch and quite stressful.

Hell I think Brad pulled it off. Of course you can hear Brad shred on "SPEAK OF THE DEVIL." Great record.

Yeah Shine, I saw Night Ranger several months ago over in Sausalito CA at some cool Art & Wine Festival. I was very impressed. They had high energy and played all of their hits. They even did a Damn Yankees song.

Their new guitarist did a great job, although it's not the same without Jeff Watson!

Cheers to yet another Bay Area Band!!!! trink39.gif

• Like 1

I have the albums...

Gillis has the tone and the whammy tricks

Watson has the scalar runs and the eight finger tapping

blades wrote the songs and like being leader

keagy had the voice

fitz was the weird one, the oddball, don't tell me you love him

• Like 1

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 22 2010, 01:54 PM)
I have the albums...

Gillis has the tone and the whammy tricks

Watson has the scalar runs and the eight finger tapping

blades wrote the songs and like being leader

keagy had the voice

fitz was the weird one, the oddball, don't tell me you love him

laugh.gif

Fitz was the oddball. He didn't fit in at all!

Good breakdown Duck.

QUOTE (JoenataArctica @ Feb 22 2010, 03:10 PM)
Night Ranger was amazing live. saw them in Pensacola, FL when they opened for Journey.

I remember talking to Brad via email after I saw them in Sausilito.

I told me that he was really excited to be playing with Journey and that a lot of those shows were sold out!

That's awesome! trink39.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 22 2010, 02:32 PM)
They have Joel Hoekstra in the band now, who I think is a better guitarist than either Watson or Gillis...

You are correct sir. Joel was fukking off the hook with all the right chops and rock star moves. He worked great with Brad who is another shredder who loves to pose with his guitar between his legs. Talk about COCK ROCK. Brad's got it down to a science!!!

• Like 1

I saw Night Ranger several times at Hara Arena in Dayton OH. Brad Gillis is awesome. I saw Brad Gillis several times with Night Ranger and several times playing with Ozzy. Between Dayton and Cincinnati, OH, I think I saw Night Ranger 4 times in one summer.

On a side note way off topic:

The first night I saw Brad Gillis with Ozzy, I had tickets in my hot little hands to see Ozzy @ The Cap Center in Washington DC with Randy Rhoads. (RIP) It was Brad's 2nd night with Ozzy after Randy's death. Talk about some big shoes to fill! Like a true pro, Brad filled in and never missed a note. So good that Ozzy later put together the double live album 'Speak of the Devil'.

• Like 1

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Feb 22 2010, 11:51 PM)
I saw Night Ranger several times at Hara Arena in Dayton OH. Brad Gillis is awesome. I saw Brad Gillis several times with Night Ranger and several times playing with Ozzy. Between Dayton and Cincinnati, OH, I think I saw Night Ranger 4 times in one summer.

The first night I saw Brad Gillis with Ozzy, I had tickets in my hot little hands to see Ozzy @ The Cap Center in Washington DC with Randy Rhoads. (RIP) It was Brad's 2nd night with Ozzy after Randy's death. Talk about some big shoes to fill! Like a true pro, Brad filled in and never missed a note. So good that Ozzy later put together the double live album 'Speak of the Devil'.

I am so jealous!! Awesome!!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Feb 22 2010, 11:59 PM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Feb 22 2010, 11:51 PM)

I am so jealous!! Awesome!!

trink39.gif

'Speak of the Devil' was Ozzy, Brad Gillis on guitar, Rudy Sarzo on bass, Don Airey on keyboards and another class act to that line-up: Tommy Aldridge on drums. (Ignore the Whitesnake video, check out Tommy's solo at the end, he played pretty much the same solo with Ozzy)

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Feb 22 2010, 03:39 PM)
I like them.

Never understood why Jack Blades never joined Styx though...when they've had a revolving door of bassists.

Interesting to note. Jack Blades and Tommy Shaw have two albums together. Their first one is called "Hallucination" and their second one is entitled "Influence."

That is an interesting thought - Jack as the Styx bassist - off the top of my head I'm not sure that any of their times without or looking for a bass player would have coincided with a NR break - after Tommy and Jack were together with DY and Tommy went back to Styx (when Glen was in) I don't think Tommy would have had the pull to bring Jack in. Dennis was still in charge at that time... Then Ricky came along after Glen left and I think that he's a good fit, but it would be interesting to see Jack with them; (JY would never go for it)

Hallucination is an excellent album, I prefer it over Influence as it's original music. I understand they have a second album of covers coming out, but don't know the release date.

• Like 1

QUOTE (MCM @ Feb 24 2010, 07:04 PM)
I like them.

That is an interesting thought - Jack as the Styx bassist - off the top of my head I'm not sure that any of their times without or looking for a bass player would have coincided with a NR break - after Tommy and Jack were together with DY and Tommy went back to Styx (when Glen was in) I don't think Tommy would have had the pull to bring Jack in. Dennis was still in charge at that time... Then Ricky came along after Glen left and I think that he's a good fit, but it would be interesting to see Jack with them; (JY would never go for it)

Hallucination is an excellent album, I prefer it over Influence as it's original music. I understand they have a second album of covers coming out, but don't know the release date.

Tommy Shaw and Blades were both in that band with Ted Nugent too Damn Yankees...

• Like 1

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 24 2010, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (MCM @ Feb 24 2010, 07:04 PM)
I like them.

Tommy Shaw and Blades were both in that band with Ted Nugent too Damn Yankees...

The best song on that debut cd is Ted's, "PILEDRIVER."

But I finally saw them last year opening for Journey!

I had completely forgotten about this song until I saw them last year opening for Journey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fus2iSu6J8Q

I love this band!! Brad Gillis and I are family!

"Dawn Patrol" is a great fukking album!!!!!!!!!

"DON'T TELL ME YOU LOVE ME" BITCH!

• Like 2