Overall Favorite Rush Album

RushRevisited

What is your favorite Rush studio album?  

1146 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Rush studio album?

• Rush (Original Album)
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress of Steel
    • A Farewell to Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll the Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Feedback

Signals does it and still does -- However, MP is a strong second! yyz is indeed a classic...and Fear is introduced here!

This is most difficult! Moving Pictures (also caught the tour) is the guys at their best. If I had a second choice A Farewell to Kings , since that was my very first Rush experience. Xanadu just blew me away, and of course Closer to the Heart, Cygnus X-1, Cinderella Man. cool.gif

QUOTE (cla2112 @ Mar 17 2005, 08:13 PM)
This is most difficult! Moving Pictures (also caught the tour) is the guys at their best. If I had a second choice A Farewell to Kings , since that was my very first Rush experience. Xanadu just blew me away, and of course Closer to the Heart, Cygnus X-1, Cinderella Man. cool.gif

yes.gif

Presto.

Crisp, clean and sharp.

Closley followed by Counterparts. If only they did a bit more along the heavier road they tried with that album.

Still.

Musn't grumble.

Hemispheres all the way for me. There were a couple of reasons.

I was playing a great deal of classical music in junior high and high school, along with being in the orchestra pit of several productions. I loved the similarities in Rush's progressive sound to the movements of classical. It was cool! Hey, I was a band geek at the time. laugh.gif

The other was the cerebral side of the album. I did my senior elective term paper on the Neil Peart and Rush and the literary influences of Rush lyrics. It was a blast. Too bad I left it with some guy I was trying to impress at the time.

Hemispheres was always the perfect embodiment of Rush to me. Still feel it now even in the "mid-life" stage when it has a permanent spot in the CD Changer (along with Farewell to Kings).

Love reading everyone's responses!

Pickle

2.gif

Edited by hemispherical

Tough call for me between Moving Pictures, Hold Your Fire, and Presto.

Moving Pictures and A Show of Hands were two of the first CDs I ever purchased. So when I listened to MP, I was blown away by the sound, especially of the melodies in The Camera Eye, and the harmonics in the opening of Red Barchetta. Overall, a great feast for the ears.

After seeing the video for Time Stand Still and hearing the song, I eventually picked up Hold Your Fire and was astounded by the beautiful intermixing of melodies, combined with the heartfelt lyrics.

I first heard Presto while going on a ski trip with a friend. I was once again entranced, this time for the melancholy beauty that seems more prevalent in it. It was also around this time that I met my wife, so that album holds a special place when I hear it.

I should add that p/g (never knew what that meant until recently seeing it on the forum) was my first introduction to Rush. I recall seeing the video for Distant Early Warning, oddly fitting protest to Reagan's heating up the Cold War. I've been a fan ever since.

Floodlit in the hazy distance

The star of this unearthly show

Venting vapours, like the breath

Of a sleeping white dragon

SIGNALS Does it 4 me!

2112! But I could have just as easily voted for anything from "RUSH" to "Moving Pictures".

I think the music through 1981 is their best because it is pure. No electric/synthesizer stuff (please pardon my lack of music-speak). Nothing like the YYZ drum solo or the LVS guitar solo. No offense intended! I like the later stuff, but it doesn't grab me in the same way.

Uh, what time is it? Depending on circumstances and phase of the moon, could be any of 7 or 8.

QUOTE (Analog Kid @ Apr 8 2005, 11:25 PM)
Hemispheres and 2112... the rest are right behind. As Rush evolved I still found that I loved it all.

favorite songs are The Trees and Countdown.

Hey! Welcome to the forum!

trink39.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 12 2004, 11:02 AM)
What is your favorite all time studio album?

Hemispheres for me...

Mine was Moving Pictures which is when I first heard Rush back in 1981. My favorite song is "The Camera Eye", an 11 minute song.

2.gif