Overall Favorite Rush Album

RushRevisited

What is your favorite Rush studio album?  

1146 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Rush studio album?

• Rush (Original Album)
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress of Steel
    • A Farewell to Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll the Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Feedback

The vocal is extremely high on Circumstances. They have only played all of Hemispheres on that tour and Permanent Waves. Doesn't make it any less great, just too high to be sung live.

Circumstances has great lyrics, both english and french (one of the coolest things about this song are the french lyrics). Great imagery. I identify with the narrative. With no guitar solo it is kind of a an early prototype of where they eventually went musically. It is very concise and to the point. Compact. But it is an example of the best things that Rush do as a band. The drums progress nicely throughout the song with each chorus. The patterns are classic Neil. Also the drum fill in the middle of the second verse (before "These walls that still surround me") is one of the coolest all time Neil fills, period. The guitar parts are also excellent; the texture of the tone with with the slight delay and chorus against the contrast of the acoustic middle, the guitar and bass doubled lick that leads into the chorus is brilliant. There is just enough synth, has some glockenspiel for added "extra" percussion. The bass part is also great, especially the bass fill after "The things that I once dreamed of."

I have heard the Trees so many times and is much more "typical" because of the acoustic intro (which they had done quite a bit to that point). The lyrics are clever, but are too clever after 25 years. I like the Trees, but having heard it so much more live it is a much less desireable song for me. Plus now that Neil plays this song on the electric kit really bugs me. Give me real drums and temple blocks anytime.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

When I went to "Tour of the Hemispheres", I had not bought the Album yet. I was broke , and none of my friends had it. The concert tickets were for my 16 th B-Day!....So, after cyngnus x-1......." and now book two- Hemisheres!" says GEddy, I got to hear hemispheres for the 1st time live!...any way, when I finally bought the LP ...I wanted to hear that song , whith a certain guitar phrase that I recollected from the show. It turns it was the guitar phrase right befoe the chorus "All the same we take our chances!...." Anyway...I just want to clarify, that I dont hate the song....PS....I had a friend in hs , she kenw french....so I recited the french part of the song to find out what it said....only to find it was same as the following englesh line.."The more that things change, the more they stay the same"..hey so I wasnt so bright at 16 smile.gif

QUOTE (faultline @ Sep 19 2004, 06:42 AM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 18 2004, 03:15 AM)
Well, went with Hemispheres because it is close to perfect. Circumstances is awesome! I would rather hear that over the Trees any time.

How can this be??? Circumstances, to me ,sounds like it was written musically in just a few minutes!...It has the rustic interlude, which is the most enjoable part of the song, but frankly seems like a song thrown in to fill out the album....Soooo how many tours has Rush thrown Circumstances into the set???hmm....sorry to be so critical...if you like the song, then you like it...it is just that The Trees is my all time favorite Rush song...When it came out, I loved it right away...And while the Beegees , Cheap Trick, and Styx were on the radio, i was listening to Hemispheres...especially The Trees.

To be honest, I think The Trees is the one that sounds more like it was written in a few minutes. It's no less a great song for that, but I suspect Circumstances took longer to write.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably pick The Trees because it's a quintessential Rush song, but I personally prefer Circumstances.

QUOTE (BSG @ Sep 21 2004, 09:42 PM)
QUOTE (Singularity @ Sep 20 2004, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (BSG @ Sep 12 2004, 05:17 PM)
Hold Your Fire

The album meant so much to me at a rough time in my life.

Absolute and without a doubt DITTO! Same here. I could consider many of 'em as my fave, but HYF just makes me happiest. Cheers me up no matter what.

biggrin.gif

Looks like it's up to us to change a few minds, ey? waffen093.gif

I went with Hemispheres. It took me few listens to get to like it but ultimately I was won over by Alex's arpegio work right before Geddy sings "We can build a world of wonder I will make you all aware." He is truly a underrated rock guitarist.

Mine has to be Hold Your Fire as well. But Permanent Waves is a close second.

I really think Time Stand Still, Mission and Prime Mover are three of the best tunes they ever wrote.

Just an observation here but, has anyone ever noticed the 'old time' rush fans never would buy any recordings after about Moving Pictures? It was always the same reason "the new rush isn't the rush I grew up with".

Well, I started listening to them around '76 and I love all the newer recordings. My feeling is they (almost) always have made a better cd than the one prior.

Mike

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Sep 27 2004, 07:21 PM)
Mine has to be Hold Your Fire as well. But Permanent Waves is a close second.

I really think Time Stand Still, Mission and Prime Mover are three of the best tunes they ever wrote.

Just an observation here but, has anyone ever noticed the 'old time' rush fans never would buy any recordings after about Moving Pictures? It was always the same reason "the new rush isn't the rush I grew up with".
Well, I started listening to them around '76 and I love all the newer recordings. My feeling is they (almost) always have made a better cd than the one prior.

Mike

Mike, off topic, but who did they play with for the 2112 show??...any way, yeah I am sort of that guy- the old rush fan- because i was 17 years old when Perm/waves came out, and started listening when I was 13/14. so yeah, there is a lot of meaning to the early material just because of the sentimentality! BUT!!!I still enjoy the 80's material , and 90's too! just not as much. VT is one of my favorites, as it has nothing stale in it!..

You mean, who was the opening band? Yikes, that's a tough one. I'm sure it wasn't the same band for the entire tour but I do remember seeing them in St. Louis, something like 3 times in that year! I was crazy, they kept coming back to play bigger and bigger venues. They were playing multi-nighters as well.

I can't answer your question because I was really young then and I saw them with so many bands. I really don't know.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 29 2004, 03:29 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Sep 29 2004, 02:22 PM)
Can't say yet.....I don't have all of them yet!  wacko.gif

What are you missing?

Rush (Original Album)

Fly By Night

Caress of Steel

A Farewell to Kings

Hemispheres

Moving Pictures

Signals (I have the album) still need the cd

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows