Some new Prog!

Hatchetaxe&saw

QUOTE (Tony R @ Aug 12 2011, 12:13 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN-Mk4lXOv4...be_gdata_player

BIRDS AND BUILDINGS, Eclectic Prog from the USA from the same guy who brought you Deluge Grander. This cut is from the album Bantam To Behemoth and is called Birds Flying Into Buildings.
There's Magma in there and some Yes and Genesis, fusion, the kitchen sink.

Wallow in it's rich proggety goodness.

I like this. Nice to hear some no-apologies complicated prog. But it's very musical, too. I really like the section at 7:43.

I didn't like the sax at first, but it grew on me.

BIRDS AND BUILDINGS, Eclectic Prog from the USA from the same guy who brought you Deluge Grander. This cut is from the album Bantam To Behemoth and is called Birds Flying Into Buildings.

Great album! That's my favorite track from it.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 12 2011, 09:10 PM)

I like this. Nice to hear some no-apologies complicated prog. But it's very musical, too. I really like the section at 7:43.

I didn't like the sax at first, but it grew on me.

That's the Magma influence I think. I call this kind of Prog "kitchen sink music" as they throw everything into the mix. Not for everyday listening but great "head" music.

Edited by Tony R

I'm sure they've been mentioned in other threads, but does anyone like Anathema? Their last album, We're Here Because We're Here is a must have. They have a new album called Falling Deeper coming out this fall of orchestral arrangements of their old doom/death stuff, which I'm not familiar with. One of the tracks is available to download here and its really good.

I love Anathema. I recently lashed out for the Special Edition of "WHBWH" complete with vinyl EP, t-shirt and 5.1 mix. The sound is a bit raw for a surround mix but the album is absolutely brilliant.

Have you seen the video for Dreaming Light?

QUOTE (Tony R @ Aug 12 2011, 05:06 PM)
I love Anathema. I recently lashed out for the Special Edition of "WHBWH" complete with vinyl EP, t-shirt and 5.1 mix. The sound is a bit raw for a surround mix but the album is absolutely brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk0OF9DdVhw...be_gdata_player

I haven't seen any of their videos before. Thanks a lot for the link, its great!

I just recently became a fan after hearing that they would be opening for Blackfield in May. I was a little disappointed that the whole band couldn't make it to the US, but the acoustic show was enjoyable.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Aug 12 2011, 05:06 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk0OF9DdVhw...be_gdata_player

Stellar.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Oct 6 2011, 05:19 PM)
Not bad, not bad. Sounded a bit like Arena, don't like any of their vocalists either.

Never got Arena meself.

Seriously impressed by all this Scandinavian prog of late. It's really atmospheric and very true to what I would call classic prog.

What's the view of it in PA Towers?

I may have mentioned them in another thread, but Gazpacho is a great band. They remind me of Hogarth-era Marillion. I have 2 of their albums, Night and Tick Tock (which I just got yesterday) and I like them a lot. Their music is very lush-sounding and textured but not extremely complex.

Great thread! Good to know there's plenty of good music that doesn't suck. 16 years of parenthood have taken its toll on me as far as investigating prog music the last two decades.

Good to hear what I've been missing.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Oct 6 2011, 06:42 PM)
Not bad, not bad. Sounded a bit like Arena, don't like any of their vocalists either.

Never got Arena meself.

Seriously impressed by all this Scandinavian prog of late. It's really atmospheric and very true to what I would call classic prog.

Dunno, they only let me patrol the dungeons.

We have a lot of Scandanavian members, always have, but I've always felt they preferred the heavier stuff. This looks like it is changing.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Oct 7 2011, 07:06 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Oct 6 2011, 06:42 PM)

Never got Arena meself.

Dunno, they only let me patrol the dungeons.

We have a lot of Scandanavian members, always have, but I've always felt they preferred the heavier stuff. This looks like it is changing.

From what I've heard on Ootoob, the new White Willow album sounds good.

I love this quote from their bio:

"It is universally agreed that in spite of all these instabilities a White Willow album must contain certain constants: Chiming guitar chords, mellotrons and songs about sad people."

laugh.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPh3kVKUeLI

Link

Sanguine Hum - Diving Bell

Very enjoyable melodic Prog. Almost like the Moth Vellum but a little more upbeat. I have to find where I can purchase this in the US.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Oct 7 2011, 07:32 PM)
This is my third mention of the new LEVIN TORN WHITE CD today, but I can't recommend it enough. It's all instrumental and all prog all the time. Killer.

It's ordered!!! Looking forward to hearing it, what I've heard so far I've loved.

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Feb 28 2010, 12:48 AM)
Priestbird. Take '73 Sabbath and ELO and mash it together and see what you get. Lots of of beautiful piano and fuzzed out guitar. Hope they stick around for a while.

I'm gonna check them out for the name alone smile.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Oct 7 2011, 08:32 PM)
This is my third mention of the new LEVIN TORN WHITE CD today, but I can't recommend it enough. It's all instrumental and all prog all the time. Killer.

I have it.

I can't believe how well Alan White plays in this album.

And I still think the name sounds like a posh brand of toilet paper.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 7 2011, 08:57 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Oct 7 2011, 09:47 PM)
Haken's new album, thoughts?

Is it out yet or did it leak? I'm going to wait for the release date if it did leak.

No clue. I just like the first one and when I saw that this one is on the top 100 on PA it must be pretty good but I have not heard anything of it or about it except for the fact that it's on that sometimes untrustworthy list.