The Twilight Zone

Tom Sawyer

Yes, the original Twilight Zones were great - the less said about the modern version the better although I did quite enjoy Inconstant Moon.

For the originals, the stand out for me include

The Monsters are Due on Maple Street

A Nice Place to Visit (the first Twilight Zone episode I ever saw)

Two

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet

One I would like to see is An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Mar 25 2005, 10:00 AM)
Yes, the original Twilight Zones were great - the less said about the modern version the better although I did quite enjoy Inconstant Moon.

A Nice Place to Visit
(the first Twilight Zone episode I ever saw)
Two
Nightmare at 20,000 Feet

Yeah I skipped the new Twilight zones completely, I had no faith without Serling at the helm.

I did like the movie very much though, from 1983 (?) that was great too!

I especially like the old folks home with Scatman Crothers!

QUOTE (pinkfloyd1973 @ Mar 25 2005, 01:30 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Mar 25 2005, 10:00 AM)

A Nice Place to Visit
Two
Nightmare at 20,000 Feet

Yeah I skipped the new Twilight zones completely, I had no faith without Serling at the helm.

I did like the movie very much though, from 1983 (?) that was great too!

I especially like the old folks home with Scatman Crothers!

It's too bad the movie is tarnished with that accident that killed actor Vic Morrow and the 2 Vietnamese children in the making of the opening story.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Mar 25 2005, 01:00 PM)

A Nice Place to Visit
Two
Nightmare at 20,000 Feet

OMG! The last thing I expected to see in here was a reference to my all-time favorite short stories, "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge," by Ambrose Bierce!! If you've never read this, you need to, it's freakin' awesome! Hey Slain, have you ever seen the short film of this, probably made in the early 70's sometime, maybe, I'm guessing? It was pretty good. Anyway, here's a link to the story. It's not that long of a read, but it's worth it, trust me! Everyone should check this one out....

http://eserver.org/fiction/occurrence-at-owl-creek.html

I think this was the film

http://tesla.liketelevision.com/liketelevision/images/lowrez/Owl211.gif

Edited by afansince74

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Mar 26 2005, 04:09 AM)
OMG! The last thing I expected to see in here was a reference to my all-time favorite short stories, "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge," by Ambrose Bierce!! If you've never read this, you need to, it's freakin' awesome! Hey Slain, have you ever seen the short film of this, probably made in the early 70's sometime, maybe, I'm guessing? It was pretty good. Anyway, here's a link to the story. It's not that long of a read, but it's worth it, trust me! Everyone should check this one out....

http://eserver.org/fiction/occurrence-at-owl-creek.html

I think this was the film
http://tesla.liketelevision.com/liketelevision/images/lowrez/Owl211.gif

QUOTE (TV Tome: Twilight Zone Episode Guide)

142. An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
gs: Roger Jacquet (Confederate Spy) Anne Cornaly () Anker Larsen () Stephane Fey () Jean-Francois Zeller () Pierre Danny () Louis Adelin () 

As a Confederate spy is about to be hanged, the rope breaks and he falls to the water below. He dodges bullets and heads off for home. He finally reaches it, but as his wife hugs him he stiffens. Suddenly he is back at the bridge, hanging from a rope.

b: 28-Feb-1964 pc: n/a w: Robert Enrico s: Ambrose Bierce d: Robert Enrico 

NOTE: This episode is not shown in syndication.
This episode is actually a French short film, with several minutes cut out and Serling's narration appended to the beginning and end.
This episode is based on the short story "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" by Ambrose Bierce. The story was first published in Bierce's story collection Tales of Soldiers and Civilians (1891).
The original French film version of this episode won the Academy Award in 1963 for Best Short Film.
Included on Image-Entertainment's Treasures of The Twilight Zone DVD.
The title of the original song for this episode is "Live Livin' Man"; written (in English) by Henri Lanoe, and sung in spiritual style. 

Apparently, season 5 of TTZ went over budget so they bought the rights to the film to save costs. As I said, I've never seen it myself, but, like you, I think the original story is fantastic. I came across it in a book called A Treasury of American Horror Stories which is subtitled "51 Spine-Chilling Tales from Every State in the Union plus Washington DC. It was edited by Frank McSherry Jr, Charles Waugh and Martin Greenberg and published in 1985. If you can get hold of a copy (I found mine in a charity shop), do so because its got some great stories in.

By the way, what did you all think of Night Gallery. I only ever saw one episode but really enjoyed it as it featured an adaptation of Pickman's Model, one of my favourite HP Lovecraft stories.

Got to be Shatner and the creature on the wing. Nightmare at 20,000 feet. He is the classic over-actor.

QUOTE (Sark @ Mar 26 2005, 05:29 AM)
Got to be Shatner and the creature on the wing. Nightmare at 20,000 feet. He is the classic over-actor.

Was the last segment in the '83 movie based on that story? John Lithgow going mad in a plane in a bad storm.

"There's something on the wing!"

I can remember some of the old stories, but not their names. Like the one about the beautiful woman who thinks she's hideously ugly. Turns out she lives in a society of really ugly people and she's the odd one out.