Alex Lifeson's L500 pickup question is ANSWERED!

/\drian

QUOTE (fenderjazz @ Feb 23 2010, 09:45 PM)
The Pyramid guitar is the Black Gibson ES335-looking guitar that is to the right of Alex in the picture where he is seated playing the classical guitar.

edit: i always thought that was a heritage, but i see now that its a gibson es-369. looks like the only pyramid guitar he had was the les paul type one.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/mortenmat/Rush/circus20mag2081--alex20copy.jpg

Edited by mortkort

Here is the comment:

Rick Mahinske

on 10/24/2009

"The original ES-355 was bought by Lerxst and then customized at Pyramid Guitars in Redford, MI. When Rush toured for the "2112" album, ("All the Worlds A Stage") Alex's Les Paul had Pyramid pickups on it. When interviewed by Guitar Player shortly thereafter, he mentioned that he didnt like the heavily compressed sound. Pyramid was pissed off over the comment in Guitar Player. After reading this, "Lerxst" had the 355 modified and requested that they make a "custom" for him. This Pyramid custom was used on the Permanent Waves" album. The now defunct Pyramid Guitars was owned by Paul "Cowboy" Smith. At that time since Mr. Smith knew that I was a RUSH fan, he asked me to check out the 355 before he told me whom it was for; basic tuning, harmonic tuning, and its sound at the 19th, Before I knew him as the owner of Pyramid Guitars, he was my eldest brother's junior college journalism and hockey teammate. Lest any digression, I look back at that era, and I can still tell my sons "see that guitar" (Dad played it before Lerxst did), remember meeting Geddy at Desirable Discs in Dearborn, mi., (My Favourite Headache) where my eldest son helped me ask Geddy (after his on stage amplification, what the words/lyrics of "Didects and Narpets" were. While signing his solo CD, his reply was "That is the most baffling question I have had so far. I guess I will have to go back and listen!" Oh yes, I was able to talk to Mr Peart at the old WBAX in Detroit during the "Hemisheres" tour."

I figured I'd post it in it's entirety to eliminate any confusion. Nice article Mortkort! I was just about to mention that guitar, as I wrote down in my Alex Guitar Notes biggrin.gif that it was a black ES-369 with "Zebra" colored p/u's.

Just to beat a dead horse beathorse.gif

Some interesting info below, that the original L500 and L500XL were actually the same pickup in the early 80s.

I've been down on the L500 for being to bright and harsh, but since there was no "treble bleed mod" in '84, it does sound better with the guitar volume on 7 or 8 (as the audio taper will tame some of the highs).

If you are finding your L500R or L500L as bit "icepicky" roll the volume down and crank the amp up to compensate. Alex often said he played with the volume lowered to 7 and 8, and I think the treble cut explains why.

From the two Bill Lawernce sites:

"When Identifying an L-500 from the Bill Lawrence Pickups (Classic) period, you should be aware that the L-500 product line underwent name changes throughout 1981, The hot L-500L was renamed the L-500XL with the cleaner L-510L becoming the new L-500L. the L-500R did not change in output or name."

"At the request of Ronnie Montrose, Bill created a cleaner version of the L-500L and L-500R. These new cleaner L-500's were labeled L-510L and L-510R. To avoid confusion, the L-500 and L-510 lineups are eventually merged, and by the end of '81 the L-500 lineup looked like this:

* the L-500XL (formerly L-500L) with 9.6 Henry

* the L-500L (formerly L-510L) with 6.9 Henry

* the L-500R (no change) with 4.8 Henry and (approx) 12ohm(?)

* discontinued: the L-510R with 3.2 Henry and (approx) 8ohm(?).

the L-510R would eventually become the L-500C upon its reintroduction in 1994 (below)

It would seem the L-510 lived and died in 1981. Long live the L-500!!"

Edited by jdouglas

while we're on the topic, does anyone one know what kind of speakers alex had in the cabinets he ran the hiwatts through, and in the 4140's on the MP tour?

The 4140's were first fitted with two McKenzie 12" 80W speakers. Later they were fitted with two Celestion 12" 15Ω T2876 speakers. I do not know anything about the Hiwatt cabs but I assume Celestians. Edited by rushfanNlv

rushfan,

That is a comment on how the 4140s left the factory...do you know which he had? My McKenzie speakers are not very efficient (i.e. not crazy loud) and they have a bit of high end bite or "jangle" to them...almost like a fender speaker. They sound very SRV to me. Which do you have in yours?

From the same article he says he just played them stock (except for a fuse circuit breaker added).

I think the Hiwatt cab originally had Fane speakers in them. He could have changed them for Celestions (although why when he was using the Hiwatt head with Marshall cabs before Hemi...why go to a Hiwatt cab if the speakers would be the same?). confused13.gif IDK..

QUOTE (jdouglas @ May 11 2010, 07:10 PM)
rushfan,

That is a comment on how the 4140s left the factory...do you know which he had? My McKenzie speakers are not very efficient (i.e. not crazy loud) and they have a bit of high end bite or "jangle" to them...almost like a fender speaker. They sound very SRV to me. Which do you have in yours?
From the same article he says he just played them stock (except for a fuse circuit breaker added).

I think the Hiwatt cab originally had Fane speakers in them. He could have changed them for Celestions (although why when he was using the Hiwatt head with Marshall cabs before Hemi...why go to a Hiwatt cab if the speakers would be the same?). confused13.gif IDK..

One has the original McKenzie speakers and the other has replacement "eminence" speakers (that's what the eBay listing said however there are no markings on the speakers at all). The one with McKenzie’s sounds fantastically bright and harmonically rich while the other....does not. Want to get replacement speakers but that's not a high priority right now. As you said, I think he played them stock with the McKenzie’s.

I just missed on this beauty today. All original with its cover and footswitch.

Drove 45 mins, called him when I was 5 mins away (an hour earlier then I said I'd be there)...then was 3 blocks away and guy called and said he sold it to someone who was there first. wtf?

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/9764/4140almost.jpg

Oh well, I need another amp like I need..oh I dont know. angry.gif fists crying.gif

QUOTE (jdouglas @ May 20 2010, 12:17 AM)
Drove 45 mins, called him when I was 5 mins away (an hour earlier then I said I'd be there)...then was 3 blocks away and guy called and said he sold it to someone who was there first.  wtf?

damn what a jerk. well at least you have one, lucky bastard wink.gif

but i havent had any amp gas since i got my axe fx, it gets me im close to alexs sound and pretty much everthing else i want.