The Book Of Eli

Tick

I saw this movie Friday night. It was a solid flick with an interesting post apocalyptic story line. I would give it 2 and a half stars out of 4.

Denzel was a bad ass. Gary Oldman returns to the kind of role he plays best.cool10.gif

I want to see it. yes.gif

So I take it Oldman is a villain?

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 18 2010, 12:48 PM)
I want to see it. yes.gif
So I take it Oldman is a villain?

Yes, and a damn good one at that ! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jan 22 2010, 06:40 PM)
thats good news. reviews have been bad.

My good man Mr. Ebert gave it a good review.

Click.

He is one of the only critics I listen to really.

QUOTE (Alex @ Jan 23 2010, 08:56 AM)

Click.

Why would you listen to him? Honestly, I listen to regular folks like you guys here before any critic. That's not so much a compliment to TRF members as it is an insult to movie critics.

Denzel & Oldman = I should definitely see this.

I really enjoyed Book Of Eli. The pacing was great, dialogue was great and the acting was superb - Denzel and Gary make watching this movie a must on the strength of their performances.

I'm still a little perplexed as to how this is, as the critics are saying, a run of the mill, post-apocalypse movie. The religious themes in the film elevate it beyond any post-apocalyspe movie I've seen, and I'm still discussing one of the major WTF moments with a friend 3 days after I saw it. It's definitely worth watching on the big screen.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 23 2010, 05:22 AM)
QUOTE (Alex @ Jan 23 2010, 08:56 AM)

Click.

Why would you listen to him? Honestly, I listen to regular folks like you guys here before any critic. That's not so much a compliment to TRF members as it is an insult to movie critics.

Denzel & Oldman = I should definitely see this.

Well I find him to be one of the only critics who's got his shit straight in terms of, well, being a critic. And of course I listen to TRF guys as well! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Jan 29 2010, 11:12 PM)
I just saw it with my roommate, we both enjoyed it. It seems like it gets better as I think back on it and put together different things. Definitely worth the money to watch yes.gif

Exactly. The more I thought about it, the more I realised how good it was.

Okay, as most of you know I'm very interested in survival and why some people make it through crises and others don't and how survivors cope with hardship. Does this movie touch on or explore any of those themes?

Mila Kunis is in this. I don't know what happened to that girl, because I never thought she was pretty at all in That 70's Show, but maybe that was just because she played such a bitchy character. All of the sudden though she's in all these movies and is ridiculously hot.

Sometimes I wish Denzel would get out of the action movie star rut and play more purely dramatic roles since he's so great. I guess it all started when he won the Oscar for Training Day which he was great in, but he's been in so many far better movies than that.

Anyway, this movie looks interesting, and I'll definitely see it, just not at the theaters...

QUOTE (Alex @ Jan 22 2010, 04:56 PM)

Click.

He's one of the only critics I pay attention to as well, and even though I often disagree with him, I do have a lot of respect for his reviews. I like looking at Rotten Tomatoes as it gives a consensus score among reviewers, both professionals and non-professionals.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 7 2010, 04:25 PM)
Okay, as most of you know I'm very interested in survival and why some people make it through crises and others don't and how survivors cope with hardship. Does this movie touch on or explore any of those themes?

Yes. Definitely. You'll like the movie a lot trust me.

QUOTE (Alex @ Feb 7 2010, 04:43 PM)

Wow, very cool! Thanks, Al!

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 7 2010, 05:37 PM)
QUOTE (Alex @ Feb 7 2010, 04:43 PM)

Wow, very cool! Thanks, Al!

It also show what happens if one person can seize an oppurtunity and lead. Its great. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I don't want to spoil too much though.

Edited by Alex

A bit late but this movie just came to cinemas in these parts last weekend. I thought it was pretty good with a somber mood that travels with you throughout. 3 out of 5 stars.

imho, Denzel may be the only actor around that has only been in decent-great movies.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 26 2010, 07:31 AM)
A bit late but this movie just came to cinemas in these parts last weekend. I thought it was pretty good with a somber mood that travels with you throughout. 3 out of 5 stars.
imho, Denzel may be the only actor around that has only been in decent-great movies.

Geez, remind me not to spoil the end of The Wizard Of Oz for you. atickhum.gif