Pain of Salvation

The Owl

Hey everybody........

I am looking for some more Pain of Salvation...

I first heard of this band when they were supposed to be on the ProgNation09 tour........but couldn't do it due to finacial problems..

I finally got around to picking up one of their albums, "Scarsick", and am Very impressed...

Very good band, and very wierd... but in a good way.

I did get the feeling that from song to song they are a bit stylistically inconsistant, but that is not a detraction either.

For those familiar with POS (he he), what albums would you reccomend that I, or other newcomers get next/first...?

One of the most spectacular prog metal bands from their first album Entropia to their fourth album Remedy Lane. After that they sort of lost their minds and released Be and Scarsick which just do not accurately capture the sound of the band I fell in love with on their first 4. Although, you said you liked Scarsick so maybe you'll dig their new direction more than me.

I HIGHLY recommend Remedy Lane and The Perfect Element 1. TPE1 is actually the first part of a grand concept, with SS being the second part. Those two albums are pure perfection.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jan 16 2010, 03:44 PM)

I HIGHLY recommend Remedy Lane and The Perfect Element 1. TPE1 is actually the first part of a grand concept, with SS being the second part. Those two albums are pure perfection.

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

Remedy Lane is my favorite Pain of Salvation album.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Oct 14 2011, 02:42 PM)
if f***ing Scarsick of all albums left you feeling impressed, Remedy Lane and The Perfect Element will probably leave you in a week-long shocked daze. Give those a try.

I do have TPE.... good album... and I can see the drop off from that album to scarsick (still not a bad album)

I have not heard either of the the Road Salt albums...are those any good?

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jan 16 2012, 04:56 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 16 2012, 04:54 PM)
I have Remedy Lane and its pretty impressive.

I want it.

I like it but I tink I made the mistake of enjoying TPE first.

I now have Entropia, TPE,RemedyLane, and Be.

Each album is pretty insane and mind-blowing and fun, but TPE...and I listen to it as we speak...is quickly becoming one of my top 20 albums, maybe even top 10 soon.

Where this band lose me only slightly is in the sometimes farfetched lyrics. They seem, to me at least, a tiny bit immature and far too in your face so that you can't squeeze anything imaginative out of them. But still, some of their lyrics really hit hard,

I'ma review TPE because why not.

Used-I think this is definitely one of the heaviest songs on the album so those of you non-metal guys, just bear with this track and you'll be okay. However, it just starts heavy. And he raps kind of. Except it actually sounds good. About a minute in, 180, and the chorus is almost pop. It sounds mind-blowing, this transition. Then back to heavy, with some additional creative guitar parts. Then the chorus which screws with your brain again. Then awesome guitar solo. Upon writing this..I don't want to continue my review. This album is full of surprises and I don't wanna ruin them for you. So bye-bye smile.gif

I haven't been able to get into these guys as much as I wanted to. sad.gif

Still haven't checked out RS2. I liked RS1, but it didn't give me wood like their first 4 albums. Shit, even Be gave me a half-mast.

I'm really not a fan of their new direction, but I absolutely respect them for not remaining stagnant. I just wish they'd remain non-stagnant in a style that's more of a natural evolution from their previous style.

It'd be like, I don't know....Metallica releasing an album filled with drunken ramblings from a once-brilliant musical icon...or something...

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Apr 3 2012, 08:11 PM)
Still haven't checked out RS2. I liked RS1, but it didn't give me wood like their first 4 albums. Shit, even Be gave me a half-mast.

I'm really not a fan of their new direction, but I absolutely respect them for not remaining stagnant. I just wish they'd remain non-stagnant in a style that's more of a natural evolution from their previous style.

It'd be like, I don't know....Metallica releasing an album filled with drunken ramblings from a once-brilliant musical icon...or something...

RS2 officially gave me more wood than RS1, so try it smile.gif especially eleven smile.gif

If you put Sisters on RS2 it'd be an amazing album.

Current top ten Pain of Salvation tracks:

10. In the Flesh

9. Water (oh god that guitar solo)

8. Sisters

7. Spitfall (I seriously do not know why I like this song, I usually hate rap)

6. Pluvius Aestivus

5. Oblivion Ocean

4. Her Voices

3. A Trace of Blood

2. Dryad of the Woods (the beginning is okay but that last minute or so is one of the greatest things they've ever done)

1. Idioglossia (what an epic tune, especially that part at 2 minutes)

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 18 2012, 09:47 AM)
Current top ten Pain of Salvation tracks:

10. In the Flesh
9. Water (oh god that guitar solo)
8. Sisters
7. Spitfall (I seriously do not know why I like this song, I usually hate rap)
6. Pluvius Aestivus
5. Oblivion Ocean
4. Her Voices
3. A Trace of Blood
2. Dryad of the Woods (the beginning is okay but that last minute or so is one of the greatest things they've ever done)
1. Idioglossia (what an epic tune, especially that part at 2 minutes)

Honestly this list changes every time I her a different song, this band is so consistently good, except for maybe Scarsick but even that album is very unexpected that there's a lot to get into. I think it's an underrated album.

I've never heard such a consistently good and consistently unexpected band.

Remedy Lane is everything I expected Dream Theater to be.

I love this album!

• Like 1