Andrew1

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 5 2010, 08:47 AM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Feb 5 2010, 08:39 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 5 2010, 08:02 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 4 2010, 10:59 PM)
I still have not seen this, and still do not feel like I am missing anything. . . confused13.gif

Same here.

and me.

The longer I go without seeing this movie, the less I care about seeing it.

Same here.

"The Dark Knight" showed you can have big-bang special effects AND a great story with great dialogue. That movie lived up to the hype. James Cameron thinks he can write a great story (and he'll gladly tell you that himself), but the only thing his scripts are good for is giving Christopher Nolan something to wipe his ass with. Any one scene from the last two Batman films has better dialogue than any of Cameron's entire films.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 5 2010, 06:59 AM)
Well, if you don't see it in 3D at the movies, it will probably just be average.

The first time I saw it, it was in 3D. Then I saw it again in 2D. As I suspected it would, the movie held up just fine. Yeah, the 3D aspect is REALLY cool, but the movie was still beautiful to look, I still got swept away by it and the story was still great - it might have a similar plot to other movies, but I wasn't thinking about that AT ALL either time.

I think a lot of people will be very pleasantly surprised. Then again, if you go in with a really cynical attitude just looking for aspects not to enjoy, that will make it a bit harder to relax and enjoy it for the wonderful spectacle I think it is. I really think people who don't see it on a big screen are going to be missing out, especially if they end up seeing it anyway later on, which most people will.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 5 2010, 08:22 AM)
I still have not seen this, and still do not feel like I am missing anything. . . confused13.gif

Same here.

and me.

Same here.

"The Dark Knight" showed you can have big-bang special effects AND a great story with great dialogue. That movie lived up to the hype. James Cameron thinks he can write a great story (and he'll gladly tell you that himself), but the only thing his scripts are good for is giving Christopher Nolan something to wipe his ass with. Any one scene from the last two Batman films has better dialogue than any of Cameron's entire films.

you havent even seen it 1001?

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Feb 5 2010, 12:37 PM)

Same here.

and me.

Same here.

I have not seen it. But I've seen all of Cameron's other films, and I know what his scripts are like, and I've heard enough about "Avatar" to know that its script is typical Cameron.

Cameron is a great visual storyteller, a special effects innovator and a master technician. But IMO he is not a screenwriter. He should hand his stories off to a real screenwriter, then direct them.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 5 2010, 10:51 AM)

Same here.

and me.

Same here.

I have not seen it. But I've seen all of Cameron's other films, and I know what his scripts are like, and I've heard enough about "Avatar" to know that its script is typical Cameron.

Cameron is a great visual storyteller, a special effects innovator and a master technician. But IMO he is not a screenwriter. He should hand his stories off to a real screenwriter, then direct them.

It's probably everything you're expecting but I think you're denying yourself a cool moviegoing experience if you miss it on the big screen in 3D.

and for the record I think the script for Aliens is great. I'd watch Aliens again for the 20th time over watching Dark Knight a 3rd time.

sayin.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 5 2010, 09:51 AM)
Cameron is a great visual storyteller, a special effects innovator and a master technician.

And this is why it should be seen in the theater in 3D, preferably IMAX not later on DVD. Sure it's an old story but it is told well, and is entertaining.

Oh, and I'll probably never watch Dark Knight again because of Bale's gravely voice. I was laughing out loud at everything he said by the end of the movie as it became so ridiculous. The dialogue was fine but the directing wasn't. Of course that's my opinion not a fact for everyone.

2 cents. trink39.gif

Same here.

and me.

Same here.

Did you not even like the script to T2? confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 5 2010, 01:29 PM)

Same here.

and me.

Same here.

Ask Harlan Ellison if James Cameron is a good screenwriter.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 5 2010, 09:23 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 5 2010, 01:29 PM)

Same here.

and me.

Same here.

Ask Harlan Ellison if James Cameron is a good screenwriter.

James Cameron definitely isn't a great sci-fi writer the likes of Harlan Ellison, but I think his scripts are fine - they're not brilliant/genius, but they're more than adequate for his movies - at least IMHO...

EDIT - I thought more about why you posted that and did a little internet research - apparently some connection between James Cameron using material from Harlan Ellison stories for The Terminator. Aha! I never have heard this before. Check out this youtube video which tells the whole story and has an interview with Ellison:

Terminator Origins: Harlan Ellison

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 5 2010, 10:59 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 5 2010, 09:53 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Feb 5 2010, 08:49 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 5 2010, 09:47 AM)

Same here.

and me.

Its your losses. atickhum.gif

You know, I'll see it eventually, but it's all about the hype. I'm waiting for the it to die down. Seriously, I don't think it'll be the religious experience so many describe to be and I don't think it'll be the anti-American/anti-military propaganda machine others describe it to be. Heck, I don't think Star Wars is the movie so many people think it is, personally, time will tell.

Well, if you don't see it in 3D at the movies, it will probably just be average.

People always spin political aspects of anything. Are there some political overtones ? sure, but that's not what I walk away from the movie thinking about.

Is it a religious experience ? Well, maybe for a Sci Fi geek it is, but not for me. For me its just very entertaining, and nothing more.

Exactly. This is where I am. If you don't watch it in 3D (+ IMAX would be best), then I don't even think it's worth it really. The story is pretty average imho so it was clearly about the visuals. But the visuals were THAT entertaining I thought.

I didn't have to worry about the hype because I saw absolutely ZERO commercials or ads for it (due to my geography). I went in knowing only that it was Cameron big budget 3D film. I didn't know the story or even who was in it.

I've still only seen it in 2-D and I managed to enjoy it perfectly fine. No doubt people are really buzzing about the 3-D and that's really helping this film...but it's hardly the movie's only selling point.

Cameron's a great visual storyteller. His movies are fun. People like fun.

I finally saw it this afternoon. It was pretty enjoyable - not as brilliant as what I was expecting - and found some parta of it slighty boring............so would give it a 7 out of 10. Wolfman for me next.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 5 2010, 08:53 AM)

Same here.

and me.

You know, I'll see it eventually, but it's all about the hype. I'm waiting for the it to die down. Seriously, I don't think it'll be the religious experience so many describe to be and I don't think it'll be the anti-American/anti-military propaganda machine others describe it to be. Heck, I don't think Star Wars is the movie so many people think it is, personally, time will tell.

Then don't put that pressure on yourself TO BE IMPRESSED.

Why do people do this?? You should be pretty immune to the hype since you're not terribly interested to begin with, right? Only the person who's a big Cameron freak should be salivating and building up expectation upon expectation.

Right?

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 18 2010, 06:41 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 5 2010, 08:53 AM)

Same here.

and me.

Then don't put that pressure on yourself TO BE IMPRESSED.

Why do people do this?? You should be pretty immune to the hype since you're not terribly interested to begin with, right? Only the person who's a big Cameron freak should be salivating and building up expectation upon expectation.

Right?

In my experience, if a movie is truly great, it will be great to me even if I've heard huge hype going in.

Examples:

I'd heard huge hype about Slumdog Millionaire, and while I thought it was a great movie, it didn't quite live up to the best movie of the year hype I'd been hearing.

I'd also heard similarly huge hype about The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and it was even better than I hoped it would be. Juno had huge hype and I still couldn't have imagined it would be as good as it was.

Once a movie starts (as with an album I haven't listened to before), anything I've heard goes out the window in lieu of experiencing it for myself. It's either great or it's not.

Then again, maybe it's best to see a movie that looks interesting sooner rather than later. Hearing massive hype for months and months and then having ridiculously high expectations isn't perhaps the ideal way to see a movie. Still, if the movie is great, it shouldn't matter.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Feb 5 2010, 01:00 PM)

Same here.

and me.

Same here.

It's probably everything you're expecting but I think you're denying yourself a cool moviegoing experience if you miss it on the big screen in 3D.

and for the record I think the script for Aliens is great. I'd watch Aliens again for the 20th time over watching Dark Knight a 3rd time.

sayin.

Aliens was good because a lot of the writing wasn't done by him.

WARNING: SPOILERS

An absolute MUST to see in the theater.

Thoroughly entertaining, visually stunning, etc etc. All you have heard about that is so true.

And I haven't read every page of this thread, but the strong downside for me, was the obvious (and typical for Hollywood) political statements Cameron was trying to make. I'm sure this has been addressed here, but found it rather distracting and irritating, especially the following

A. The underlying theme is protect your environment

B. He had you trying to root strongly against the "evil American military types".

C. All the evil doings by the Americans were in the name of greed, namely "corporate profits"

Typical Liberal BS, and I wouldn't be surprised if Avatar wins Best Picture so it gives Cameron a chance to make a speech and allude to it

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Feb 20 2010, 04:06 PM)

Thoroughly entertaining, visually stunning, etc etc. All you have heard about that is so true.

And I haven't read every page of this thread, but the strong downside for me, was the obvious (and typical for Hollywood) political statements Cameron was trying to make. I'm sure this has been addressed here, but found it rather distracting and irritating, especially the following

B. He had you trying to root strongly against the "evil American military types".

C. All the evil doings by the Americans were in the name of greed, namely "corporate profits"

Typical Liberal BS, and I wouldn't be surprised if Avatar wins Best Picture so it gives Cameron a chance to make a speech and allude to it

Justice is not a political idea.

The domestic gross is at $687 million. It will easily get to $750 million. Beyond that, it's hard to say when it will stop. It's very possible it will hit $800 million, especially if it wins some major Academy Awards.

Right now it stands in 15th place when taking into account inflation, and will likely end up somewhere between 9th and 11th place when all is said and done.

When you consider that of those that will be above it, one came out in 1996 and all the others came out in 1982 or earlier when there was pretty much no cable, no VCR's, no computers, almost no video games, etc. to distract people with infinitely more choices of what to do with their time, it makes the total even more impressive by any standards.

And oh yeah, the worldwide total currently stands at 2.46 billion which is completely insane. Top five all-time worldwide:

Titanic - 1.84 billion

LOTR - The Return of the King - 1.12 billion

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - 1.06 billion

The Dark Knight - 1.00 billion

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 21 2010, 09:51 PM)
The domestic gross is at $687 million. It will easily get to $750 million. Beyond that, it's hard to say when it will stop. It's very possible it will hit $800 million, especially if it wins some major Academy Awards.

Right now it stands in 15th place when taking into account inflation, and will likely end up somewhere between 9th and 11th place when all is said and done.

When you consider that of those that will be above it, one came out in 1996 and all the others came out in 1982 or earlier when there was pretty much no cable, no VCR's, no computers, almost no video games, etc. to distract people with infinitely more choices of what to do with their time, it makes the total even more impressive by any standards.

And oh yeah, the worldwide total currently stands at 2.46 billion which is completely insane. Top five all-time worldwide:

Titanic - 1.84 billion
LOTR - The Return of the King - 1.12 billion
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - 1.06 billion
The Dark Knight - 1.00 billion

Incredible.

I think if I'm Cameron I stop making films. He could do $500 million next time and it'd be considered a failure. wink.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Feb 20 2010, 04:06 PM)

I've heard this as well. Maybe in this thread, I'm not sure.