VAN HALEN'S GREATEST RECORD: 1978-1984

RUSHHEAD666

Name Your Favorite Diamond David Lee Roth Van Halen Record!  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Name Your Favorite Diamond David Lee Roth Van Halen Record!

• VAN HALEN
    • VAN HALEN II
    • WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST
    • FAIR WARNING
    • DIVER DOWN
    • I HATE THE DAVID LEE ROTH ERA! GIVE ME VAN HAGAR OR SAM HALEN INSTEAD!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Dec 17 2009, 11:57 AM)
The debuts of Sabbath, Floyd, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Doors, BOC, Captain Beyond, ELP, Rush, Aerosmith

You are on crack

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Dec 17 2009, 12:05 PM)
Van Halen's first is great rock 'n' roll but compared to these it's kid stuff

I really don't know what you have heard from V.H. but kid stuff it's not

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 17 2009, 12:00 PM)
The debuts of Sabbath, Floyd, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Doors, BOC, Captain Beyond, ELP, Rush, Aerosmith

You are on crack

Go get him, metaldad. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Dec 17 2009, 01:05 PM)

What Eddie did on their first album completely changed how almost every rock guitarist played the guitar. That kind of continuing influence is not kids stuff.

I would say you might make a case with Sabbath and Zep ONLY BECAUSE those bands, like Van Halen, changed music so much with those first albums.

Sabbath are the godfathers of heavy metal.

Zep are the same when it comes to "arena rock".

With VH I, Eddie Van Halen changed forever how a certain genre of guitarist played the instrument. Pretty significant.

As for the others.......no.

QUOTE (VarianStar @ Dec 17 2009, 06:41 PM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Dec 17 2009, 01:05 PM)

What Eddie did on their first album completely changed how almost every rock guitarist played the guitar. That kind of continuing influence is not kids stuff.

+1 yes.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eruption_%28song%29

"Eruption"
Song by Van Halen

from the album Van Halen

"Eruption" is an instrumental guitar solo by Van Halen from their first album, Van Halen. Written and primarily performed by Eddie Van Halen, this electric guitar solo showcase is considered one of the most influential rock instrumentals of all time, appearing on many 'greatest guitar solos' lists, including a recent Guitar World poll. On the radio, it is usually played together with "You Really Got Me," which follows the song on the album Van Halen.

"Eruption" popularized the guitar tapping trend of the 1980s. Although one-handed tapping (hammer-ons and pull-offs) had been previously done by many guitarists, Van Halen introduced two-handed tapping to the mainstream popular rock audience.

Initially, "Eruption" was not considered a song for Van Halen. Eddie Van Halen used it as a studio warm up; however, producer Ted Templeman overheard the solo and asked that it appear as a track on the album. Eddie recalled "I didn't even play it right. There's a mistake at the top end of it. To this day, whenever I hear it I always think, 'Man, I could've played it better.'"

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 17 2009, 01:48 PM)

I would say you might make a case with Sabbath and Zep ONLY BECAUSE those bands, like Van Halen, changed music so much with those first albums.

Sabbath are the godfathers of heavy metal.

Zep are the same when it comes to "arena rock".

With VH I, Eddie Van Halen changed forever how a certain genre of guitarist played the instrument. Pretty significant.

As for the others.......no.

I think that hendrix was just as/perhaps more influential than eddie. eddie did rip it a new one when he came on the scene and i love all VH prior to 1984.

I am gonna roll with VH 1.

Toss up between 1984 and the first album. Went with the first album because every song is good.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 17 2009, 10:00 AM)

You are on crack

If I had to choose, I'd definitely choose the debuts of Floyd, Hendrix and The Doors over the debut of Van Halen - probably Rush's debut too.

Then there are the other debut albums I prefer over Van Halen like PFM, Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, Terry Brooks & Strange, Moby Grape, Traffic, The Soft Machine, Tangerine Dream, The Velvet Underground, King Crimson, Fuast, The Mothers of Invention (Frank Zappa), Captain Beefheart, The 13th Floor Elevators, etc. Way more than ten.

That said, the first VH album is still a GREAT album.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 17 2009, 10:06 AM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Dec 17 2009, 12:05 PM)

I really don't know what you have heard from V.H. but kid stuff it's not

Groups like AC/DC, Van Halen & Kiss are all great, but no one ever accused them of having really meaningful lyrics or being particularly deep.

I understand where both are you coming from. I guess it's all in what you're looking for with music.

There's nothing wrong with pure rocking out music, and in that regards the first Van Halen album is one of the very, very best, but I personally prefer music with a little more depth or that makes my mind do cartwheels. Van Halen is more pure headbanging stuff. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not my favorite type of music and I have to really be in the mood for that.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 17 2009, 03:51 PM)
If I had to choose, I'd definitely choose the debuts of Floyd, Hendrix and The Doors over the debut of Van Halen - probably Rush's debut too.

I never would have thought that You would pick these bands over V.H. laugh.gif That album came out in 78 and we all know you like nothing after 76 wink.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 17 2009, 01:58 PM)

I never would have thought that You would pick these bands over V.H. laugh.gif That album came out in 78 and we all know you like nothing after 76 wink.gif

laugh.gif

Not true! I don't like anything after 1979!

Seriously though, there is some post 70's music I enjoy, though not tons. Regardless, I still wouldn't put VH's debut at the very top in terms of debut albums. I can understand why people would, though. It IS a great album, and I did see VH with DLR twice. wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 17 2009, 04:00 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 17 2009, 01:58 PM)

laugh.gif

Not true! I don't like anything after 1979!

Seriously though, there is some post 70's music I enjoy, though not tons. Regardless, I still wouldn't put VH's debut at the very top in terms of debut albums. I can understand why people would, though. It IS a great album, and I did see VH with DLR twice. wink.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 17 2009, 09:15 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 17 2009, 08:06 AM)

An album I've never bought is Diver Down, how bad is it?

The problem is......

it's only 29 min long

half the album is covers

The good part is

the songs they did write kick ass and

it's better than anything they did with Sammy................... laugh.gif

A brief but totally accurate review of "Diver Down."

The original stuff on the album is awesome, though... I love "Little Guitars" and the guitar solo "Cathedral." I once saw Eddie playing "Cathedral" and it struck me that most people would have a hard time playing it. To get that specific sound, he's tapping chords with his left hand and intentionally messing with the volume knob with his right.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 17 2009, 11:21 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Dec 17 2009, 12:49 PM)
Fair Warning!!!  1022.gif

Lord strike that poor boy DOWN! 1022.gif

Quite simply the most badass tune they ever wrote. 1022.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 17 2009, 09:10 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Dec 17 2009, 08:56 PM)
another vote for Fair Warning.  Unchained is my fav. VH song.

unchained simply kicks arse.

It makes me want to drink 20 beers and scream my f-n head off 1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 17 2009, 09:50 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 17 2009, 09:10 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Dec 17 2009, 08:56 PM)
another vote for Fair Warning.  Unchained is my fav. VH song.

unchained simply kicks arse.

It makes me want to drink 20 beers and scream my f-n head off 1022.gif

I was there when these guys were new, and were the sh-t, and they were really something special. They were a good, tight little rock band, and their energy was amazing.

Bottoms Up!