Geddy Lee and Bruce Springsteen Connection

RushFanForever

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Dec 3 2009, 01:26 PM)
[/quote]
Hmmm, is prog rock really a 'style'? And how has it been since since Rush has really been a 'prog rock' band?

Sorry, no connection.

You're trying to make it seem like 'Prog rock' is the only 'style' Geddy listens to. I doubt that.

Yes..Prog-rock can be classified as a "style" ..like "jazz".."rock"..."metal".etc., ..styles of music.

**Websters Defnition:

Style

NOUN:

1.The way in which something is said, done, expressed, or performed: a style of speech and writing.

2.The combination of distinctive features of literary or artistic expression, execution, or performance characterizing a particular person, group, school, or era. ***

...and yes not all..but MANY consider Rush to have been clasified as "prog-rock".

...and..quote me on writing anything remotely to fact of claiming Geddy ONLY listens to prog-rock.

Missed the whole concept and point bro.

Forget about it..

Rush4ever..I get what you meant.

"

...and..quote me on writing anything remotely to fact of claiming Geddy ONLY listens to prog-rock.

Missed the whole concept and point bro."

Regardless if I did, you're assuming that Geddy's comment had anything to do with Springsteen's assertion that he had elements of prog early in his career. Geddy said Springsteen's music was not his style, and Springsteen's music has largely had nothing to do with prog. So any connections you're finding is grasping at straws at best.

"...and yes not all..but MANY consider Rush to have been clasified as "prog-rock"."

Yes, but does Geddy consider himself a "progger"? Since he was the one who made the comment, only how he defines his own music matters.

His comment seemed to merely pointing out that he doesn't listen to Springsteen's style of pop music. There doesn't seem to be anything regarding progressive rock in Geddy's statement. That is a meaning you're trying to create on your own.

Edited by savagegrace26

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Dec 3 2009, 02:22 PM)

Regardless if I did, you're assuming that Geddy's comment had anything to do with Springsteen's assertion that he had elements of prog early in his career. Geddy said Springsteen's music was not his style, and Springsteen's music has largely had nothing to do with prog. So any connections you're finding is grasping at straws at best.

I'm not assuming ANYTHING..I didn't post this thread! I'm reflecting what was implied in the first post..if you read it you will see.

You say I'm assuming what Geddy meant in his statement..then you follow with your explanation of what Geddy meant!

Is it safe to say part of Geddy's taste is Prog..or prog-like music?..of course it is.

And did Springsteen state that his early stuff was prog-like?..yes he did..read it!

If anything, you're the one grasping at straws somehow trying to prove me wrong about nothing! Doesn't make sense.

This thread was started just to show an amuzing little tidbit of speculation..nothing factual or serious here!

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Dec 3 2009, 02:26 PM)

His comment seemed to merely pointing out that he doesn't listen to Springsteen's style of pop music. There doesn't seem to be anything regarding progressive rock in Geddy's statement. That is a meaning you're trying to create on your own.

And where does he say anything about "Pop music" ???

Who's creating their own meaning here?

C'mon man...if you're going to try to prove me wrong or "assume" I'm assuming anything..don't contradict yourself doing it. Destroys your whole point.

"I'm not assuming ANYTHING..I didn't post this thread! I'm reflecting what was implied in the first post..if you read it you will see."

I will admit that I assumed that you are the thread creator. My mistake.

"You say I'm assuming what Geddy meant in his statement..then you follow with your explanation of what Geddy meant!"

I don't really know what he meant and I don't really care. I'm not assuming what he meant but it's obvious that he didn't mean what you think it means.

"Is it safe to say part of Geddy's taste is Prog..or prog-like music?..of course it is."

Is it safe to say that Geddy is a fan of prog music? Probably. I think i've read somewhere that he likes Yes, but I've also read that he likes (or liked) Bjork.

"And did Springsteen state that his early stuff was prog-like?..yes he did..read it!"

And you're assuming that Geddy is aware of this statement or that Geddy is even aware of Springsteen's early work. Based on Geddy's statement, his apparent awareness of Springsteen is limited to what he happens to hear on the radio.

"If anything, you're the one grasping at straws somehow trying to prove me wrong about nothing! Doesn't make sense."

I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm just reducing these claims to their core elements.

"This thread was started just to show an amuzing little tidbit of speculation..nothing factual or serious here! "

Is this discussion that serious? I wasn't aware of that.

"And where does he say anything about "Pop music" ???"

Nowhere. Geddy is referring to Springsteen's style. Wouldn't Springsteen's popular mainstream style/genre be considered Pop music, or perhaps Pop Rock? Regardless, it certainly isn't Progressive Rock. And style can mean much more than Pop Prog or whatever. Maybe Geddy just doesn't like the way his music sounds and has nothing to do with it's classification.

"Who's creating their own meaning here?"

I haven't created anything. Just taking Geddy's statement for what it is.

"C'mon man...if you're going to try to prove me wrong or "assume" I'm assuming anything..don't contradict yourself doing it. Destroys your whole point."

I'm not trying to prove anything and I don't think I've contradicted myself. You seem to be trying to create different meanings for what I'm saying or trying to create contradictions. At least you're consistent....

Edited by savagegrace26

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 2 2009, 10:31 PM)
QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Dec 2 2009, 10:24 PM)
QUOTE (Shogun @ Dec 2 2009, 07:11 PM)
I think I get what Rushfan4ever is saying. It's basically an implied connection by Springsteen that Geddy then shoots down. Saying his stuff was almost prog rock..and then a prog rocker (Ged) saying it just wasn't his thing.

Gotta say..I was holding my breath when opening this thread hoping to God I wasn't gonna read about some collaboration or something. applaudit.gif

Thank you - it is nice to have an ally for once. cool.gif

Implied is the key word. Springsteen merely stated that in his first band they wrote songs that are almost prog-like and several of his early songs took fruition from that. That's all.

Geddy says he respects Springsteen but his style of music isn't his thing. Okay.

I see no connection. Geddy did not "shoot down" what Springsteen said.

Listen to "Rosalita" and you'll hear what Springsteen is talking about. Yeah, it's not "Thick as a Brick" but it's pretty intense.

thank you

Coming from NJ, about five miles up the road from where The Boss was born, and kind of missing hearing his music played just about every damn minute on the radio (lol) as I read and re read this thread, I myself heard Promised Land in my head. What you all are missing is this: there is a connection between these two great creative men, Ged and Bruce. They both create beautiful and majestic landscapes of music for us to savor and enjoy.

whether or not they listen to each other's music or have influenced each other is irrelevant.

Neither of them have been in my kitchen (though Geddy's music has). There's your connection.

Bruce Springsteen is a legend. Want to know why? Just listen to those first three albums. And then all the songs in that era that never made an official album release.

Best songwriter ever!

I think it's nice fellow musicians respect artists even if they are not particular fans.

And Bruce never claimed his music was prog, but the earlier songs did have a more fluid, jazzy vibe closer to some of the prog of the era than to the more refined, meticulously produced pop anthems of later years.

This is in reply to an earlier message I forgot to quote!

Bruce Springsteen is a legend. Want to know why? Just listen to those first three albums.

Sorry, but here in America we have a Constitution that protects us from cruel and unusual punishment.

Bruce Springsteen is a legend. Want to know why? Just listen to those first three albums.

You're right, here in America we have a Constitution that protects us from cruel and unusual punishment. Bruce creates peace and his music cures diseases

Fixed.

You're right, here in America we have a Constitution that protects us from cruel and unusual punishment. Bruce creates peace and his music cures diseases

Fixed.

Someone needs to notify the mods that we have someone who writes for Rolling Stone as a member of this forum.

Fixed.

Someone needs to notify the mods that we have someone who writes for The Rolling Stones as a member of this forum.

Needs promotion to "Awesome Sauce Machine".

Fixed.

I hate any comparison to Springsteen. Or Springsteen to Rush. Don't like his music at all. None of it.

Silly thread BTW.

• Like 2

Here is a sentence:

Despite loving both, Segue Myles prefers the legend that is Bruce Springsteen to Rush, even if both make his world a very happy place, in spite of a sad lack of genuine unicorns.

• Like 1

It is blasphemy to utter those two names in the same sentence!

This ought to get Segue really mad! :outtahere:

:popcorn:

Joking aside, we all know how much I Iove both. But they are not exactly alike? So...well...I don't get why a thread like this exists. I would understand it if both sounded similar, but Rush doesn't really fit the sound of the average Springsteen fans music taste, and the same vice versa.

But in the same decade, we got Jungleland, Xanadu, New York City Serenade and 2112. When it comes to outstanding songwriting, I the seventies at least, both were pretty equal. (Rush were better than Bruce in the 80's, I will give them that.)

I'm not gonna lie and say i don't enjoy Springsteen. His first 4 albums are strong as hell. After that it becomes same shit different day to me. He sure ain't the greatest thing ever. the first 4 are all the Bruce i care to hear.

Mick

Joking aside, we all know how much I Iove both. But they are not exactly alike? So...well...I don't get why a thread like this exists. I would understand it if both sounded similar, but Rush doesn't really fit the sound of the average Springsteen fans music taste, and the same vice versa.

But in the same decade, we got Jungleland, Xanadu, New York City Serenade and 2112. When it comes to outstanding songwriting, I the seventies at least, both were pretty equal. (Rush were better than Bruce in the 80's, I will give them that.)

Bruce was doing all right until someone or something co-opted him in the eighties when he took a turn for the worse at one point. I used to live in his neck of the woods, and I know that he was well known for showing up at bars at the New Jersey shore, and he would shoot the breeze and play pool and down some beers with the local peasants - er, I mean - residents.

I agree that it is unfair to even equate the two (Rush and Bruce) because they are not the same type of musicians.

• Like 1

I'm amazed by what you guys used to talk about while I was in prison.

Ugh.....before I got here

I just finished reading Springsteen's new book 'Born To Run', which is great.

I learned that Springsteen's spouse Patti Scialfa shares a birthday with Geddy Lee and are both the same age.

I own the book but haven't started it yet...sheesh I call myself a fan?!?!

I'm still mad to this day.

Quaking the earth with my range!!