Geddy Lee and Bruce Springsteen Connection

RushFanForever

The following was posted back in Sept 2009 on Classic Rock Revisted News.

GEDDY LEE DOESN'T LISTEN TO SPRINGSTEEN, BUT RESPECTS HIM

This news is brought to you by VH1 Radio's Dave Basner

In just a few days, Bruce Springsteen turns the big 6-0. Much of his life has been spent making music that is so good, even people who might not ordinarily listen to it still respect and admire him for it. Rush singer Geddy Lee is one such person and he told us his thoughts on The Boss.

"I have great respect for Bruce Springsteen. It's not the kind of music I listen to personally. If it comes on the radio, I like the songs, I admire the production but stylistically, it's just not my thing so I've never really followed him like that."

Springsteen turns 60 on Wednesday (September 23).

Bruce Springsteen was interviewed for 'The Billboard Cover Q&A' which is a four page article where he answered the following question:

From your early days with Steel Mill and going forward, was it always a focus to make the live shows special?

Yeah, because you have to understand that you lived and died by your ability to perform. You had no records. To draw 1,000-2,000 people with no album, which is what we did in the late '60s, you had to have a thrilling live show. Back then it was a four piece band -- me, Danny [Federici], Mad Dog [Lopez], Steve [Van Zandt] -- and we had to be able to grab people instantaneously with music they hadn't heard. That's what led us into "Rosalita," "Kitty's Back," "Thundercrack." Those kinds of songs were actually the final products of long, almost prog-rock things that I did coming out of Steel Mill, where there were time changes and arrangement changes. They were sort of me bringing what I did with Steel Mill into the soul and R&B influences of my early recordings. If you heard "Rosalita" or "Kitty's Back" live and had never heard the record, they still worked. You had to have live performance to survive.

There is the connection right there. smile.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Dec 2 2009, 06:21 AM)
"I have great respect for Bruce Springsteen. It's not the kind of music I listen to personally. If it comes on the radio, I like the songs, I admire the production but stylistically, it's just not my thing so I've never really followed him like that."

goodpost.gif Geddy

QUOTE (Fridge @ Dec 2 2009, 11:17 AM)
So in other words, there is no connection between them whatsoever....

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Dec 2 2009, 09:17 AM)

Well I guess some people did not catch on to the words in bold that I put in my message.

It was purposely done that way.

Bruce Springsteen commented that his earlier music had a prog-rock influence to it.

Springsteen's music not have sounded like some typical prog-rock, but I have picked up on how complex some of it is.

What is Rush? A prog-rock band.

Geddy comments about having respect for Bruce Springsteen.

That is the connection with both. It should not be that difficult to figure out. eyesre4.gif

Edited by RushFanForever

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Dec 2 2009, 08:01 PM)

Well I guess some people did not catch on to the words in bold that I put in my message.

Bruce Springsteen commented that his earlier music had a prog-rock influence to it.

Springsteen's music not have sounded like some typical prog-rock, but I have picked up on how complex some of it is.

That is the connection with both. It should not be that difficult to figure out. eyesre4.gif

facepalm.gif

"I have great respect for Bruce Springsteen. It's not the kind of music I listen to personally. If it comes on the radio, I like the songs, I admire the production but stylistically, it's just not my thing so I've never really followed him like that." - Geddy

Same here. I'll mainly listen to Born To Run every now and then but most of the others are channel changers for me now. Heard them to much.

I think I get what Rushfan4ever is saying. It's basically an implied connection by Springsteen that Geddy then shoots down. Saying his stuff was almost prog rock..and then a prog rocker (Ged) saying it just wasn't his thing.

Gotta say..I was holding my breath when opening this thread hoping to God I wasn't gonna read about some collaboration or something. applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Shogun @ Dec 2 2009, 07:11 PM)
I think I get what Rushfan4ever is saying. It's basically an implied connection by Springsteen that Geddy then shoots down. Saying his stuff was almost prog rock..and then a prog rocker (Ged) saying it just wasn't his thing.

Gotta say..I was holding my breath when opening this thread hoping to God I wasn't gonna read about some collaboration or something. applaudit.gif

Thank you - it is nice to have an ally for once. cool.gif

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Dec 2 2009, 10:24 PM)

Implied is the key word. Springsteen merely stated that in his first band they wrote songs that are almost prog-like and several of his early songs took fruition from that. That's all.

Geddy says he respects Springsteen but his style of music isn't his thing. Okay.

I see no connection. Geddy did not "shoot down" what Springsteen said.

Listen to "Rosalita" and you'll hear what Springsteen is talking about. Yeah, it's not "Thick as a Brick" but it's pretty intense.

An ally? laugh.gif confused13.gif

QUOTE (Jag2112 @ Dec 2 2009, 11:22 AM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Dec 2 2009, 11:17 AM)

Thank GOD. I don't think I could stomach any connection between Rush and BS.

No sh**!! laugh.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 2 2009, 09:31 PM)

Implied is the key word. Springsteen merely stated that in his first band they wrote songs that are almost prog-like and several of his early songs took fruition from that. That's all.

Geddy says he respects Springsteen but his style of music isn't his thing. Okay.

Listen to "Rosalita" and you'll hear what Springsteen is talking about. Yeah, it's not "Thick as a Brick" but it's pretty intense.

"Born To Run" as well. Lots of musical bombast in that song, especially the climactic instrumental section. Good stuff.

QUOTE (Blenderhead @ Dec 3 2009, 12:07 AM)
QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Dec 2 2009, 08:01 PM)

facepalm.gif

facepalm.gif X2

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 3 2009, 03:02 AM)

"Born To Run" as well. Lots of musical bombast in that song, especially the climactic instrumental section. Good stuff.

goodpost.gif

Born To Run is great yes.gif

Geddy says he respects Springsteen but his style of music isn't his thing.  Okay.

I see no connection.  Geddy did not "shoot down" what Springsteen said.

Listen to "Rosalita" and you'll hear what Springsteen is talking about.  Yeah, it's not "Thick as a Brick" but it's pretty intense.

First of all..I didn't mean "shoot down" in a malicious negative way.

Second..If Springsteen is claiming his "style" to have been prog-like and Geddy(a prog'er) is saying his "style" is not his thing....uhmmm..what's that saying?

Like when a new band comes out claiming to be Rush-like..then you listen to them and they're more Billy Idol-like.

So if I had to make a politically correct public opinion on it, it would be what Geddy said..."just not my thing".

Whatever...

Man.. I love trying to micro-edit thoughts on threads...soooo worth the time.

Rush should do a song called "born in Canada" smile.gif

QUOTE (Shogun @ Dec 3 2009, 05:40 AM)

Geddy says he respects Springsteen but his style of music isn't his thing.  Okay.

I see no connection.  Geddy did not "shoot down" what Springsteen said.

Listen to "Rosalita" and you'll hear what Springsteen is talking about.  Yeah, it's not "Thick as a Brick" but it's pretty intense.

First of all..I didn't mean "shoot down" in a malicious negative way.

Second..If Springsteen is claiming his "style" to have been prog-like and Geddy(a prog'er) is saying his "style" is not his thing....uhmmm..what's that saying?

Like when a new band comes out claiming to be Rush-like..then you listen to them and they're more Billy Idol-like.

So if I had to make a politically correct public opinion on it, it would be what Geddy said..."just not my thing".

Whatever...

Man.. I love trying to micro-edit thoughts on threads...soooo worth the time.

Hmmm, is prog rock really a 'style'? And how long has it been since since Rush has really been a 'prog rock' band?

Sorry, no connection.

You're trying to make it seem like 'Prog rock' is the only 'style' Geddy listens to. I doubt that.

Edited by savagegrace26