Examining Alex Lifeson's Stratocasters(Early 80's)

/\drian

The guitars on the"Exit... Stage Left" and "Grace Under Pressure" tours. I'd like to know what the difference is between the two stratocasters he was using during those times. Specifically, what tremolo bridge was he using in his stratocasters on these tours. Also, once again, what L-500 would be ideal to replicate G.U.P's tone. What pickups was he using on Exit Stage Left as well though, out of curiosity? Body woods, and fretboard woods would be GREAT to know as well. I need to know all this so I can replicate a killer Alex Lifeson strat when I have sufficient funds. Discuss to the benefit of all the guitar players on this site. Edited by /\drian

Lots of threads here on the subject. Many of them by me.

I built replica's of all three and currently have a white one and black one.

(I was gonna sell the black one but I'm leaning towards selling the white Hentor Sportscaster now.)

On ESL, the white Strat had a Gibson humbucker and the stock Fender bridge. All his Strats were 1977 models and I believe all had alder bodies. The natural finished Strats of that era had ash bodies.

The black Strat was the first to get the Floyd Rose tremolo. It was on the guitar for the recording of The Spirit of Radio on the Permanent Waves album. It was an early style that did not have fine tuners. Alex did not use the locking nut on any of the Strats.

By the GUP era all the Strats had Lawrence L500 humbuckers in the bridge position. The white and black ones both had early model Floyd Rose tremolos but the red one had the newer style Floyd Rose with fine tuners.

All 3 Strats also had a Gibson style toggle switch replacing the Fender blade switch. Alex was more comfortable with gibsons and tried to make the Strats closer to Gibsons in feel.

Originally all 3 Strats had the standard large headstock Fender neck with the bullet truss rod but they were later changed to an aftermarket neck built by a Canadian company named Shark.

I need to write a book on these things.

Here's some pics of the two I have now (black & white) and one of the red ones I used to have.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h247/pete2112/DSCN2685.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h247/pete2112/004-1.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h247/pete2112/Chris%20B%20Strat/DSCN2070.jpg

Edited by _pete_

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Nov 21 2009, 11:36 PM)
(I was gonna sell the black one but I'm leaning towards selling the white Hentor Sportscaster now.)

On ESL, the white Strat had a Gibson humbucker and the stock Fender bridge. All his Strats were 1977 models and I believe all had alder bodies. The natural finished Strats of that era had ash bodies.
The black Strat was the first to get the Floyd Rose tremolo. It was on the guitar for the recording of The Spirit of Radio on the Permanent Waves album. It was an early style that did not have fine tuners. Alex did not use the locking nut on any of the Strats.
By the GUP era all the Strats had Lawrence L500 humbuckers in the bridge position. The white and black ones both had early model Floyd Rose tremolos but the red one had the newer style Floyd Rose with fine tuners.
All 3 Strats also had a Gibson style toggle switch replacing the Fender blade switch. Alex was more comfortable with gibsons and tried to make the Strats closer to Gibsons in feel.
Originally all 3 Strats had the standard large headstock Fender neck with the bullet truss rod but they were later changed to an aftermarket neck built by a Canadian company named Shark.

While we're waiting for that book, you get a new member title. 1022.gif

Pete seriously man, your red hentor sportscaster from the Distant Early Warning video is so sexy. I can't even describe how much I envy that guitar. Amazing job you've done. I want to keep in touch with you in regards to this future project of mine. I may construct the guitar through Warmoth. They seem expensive, but very high quality and up to the task. Warmoth require MANY specific details however to construct a guitar, so particularily the red strat you have is what I need the details on please. Thanks.

QUOTE (/\drian @ Nov 22 2009, 01:15 AM)
Pete seriously man, your red hentor sportscaster from the Distant Early Warning video is so sexy. I can't even describe how much I envy that guitar. Amazing job you've done. I want to keep in touch with you in regards to this future project of mine. I may construct the guitar through Warmoth. They seem expensive, but very high quality and up to the task. Warmoth require MANY specific details however to construct a guitar, so particularily the red strat you have is what I need the details on please. Thanks.

Actually that red one is a guitar I built for someone else.

I did build 2 others but I sold one and parted the other out. Someday I may do another. In fact, I've been talking with a guy that wants me to build him a couple.

The red one was the prettiest but the white one I have now is easily the best sounding. It has a Warmoth body. (it can be yours for a mere $900) wink.gif

Whatever you need to know, just ask, I'll try to help.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 22 2009, 12:59 AM)
QUOTE (_pete_ @ Nov 21 2009, 11:36 PM)

While we're waiting for that book, you get a new member title. 1022.gif

Ha! That's funny!

I hope you don't mind waiting a while on that book....

I had this stuff in my head just now because I was researching these guitars a few days ago. I need to get the details right for the ones I may be building. I looked at a lot of old videos, the concert DVD's, pics on the net, and some books I have.

QUOTE (/\drian @ Nov 22 2009, 08:15 AM)
They seem expensive

And I thought they seemed fairly cheap... until i remembered that 25% tax/vat thing. Omg. >_>

And.. i'll place this question here... What's the difference between a recessed and non-recessed floyd rose?

I have one of the red bodies with the mirror pick guard that I bought from pete. One day, I'm going to make something out of it.

I just noticed, while reading my MF catalog, that Washburn has an N series of guitars designed by Nuno Bettencourt that is surprisingly similar to the Alex strats of the era. Alder body, Floyd Rose, L-500 at the bridge and a rosewood fretboard. One volume knob and no tone knob is one major difference and the other is the humbucker at the neck in lieu of the two single coils. No big deal IMO. The toggle is even in the right place. There is no pick guard either. If the GUP tone is what you want, this should get you close.

Link. Scroll all the way down for the N2 version.

Personally, I would go with the Fender Contemporary Stratocaster from the 80s. That would get you 90% there for less. They are good MIJ guitars plus they are cool.

http://raykit.co.uk/blog/images/raykitshum_3d_guitar_electric_01.jpg

http://pages.videotron.com/guitbey/tt_cs.jpg

trink36.gif