Designated Hitter

Inthend

The only sport i know which each conference play with different rules.  

32 members have voted

1. 1. The only sport i know which each conference play with different rules.

• 1. Each player should have to bat.
    • 2. Why bother putting a bat in a picher's hand?

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Nov 11 2009, 03:54 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 11 2009, 10:38 AM)
You claim that if the DH would be dropped that pitchers would improve their hitting...I'm asking you how?

Never said that. I'm sorry you're confused.

Ok let me rephrase the question...

How does the AL dropping the DH encourages pitchers to be better hitters?

I've spent my life rooting for an American League team, so I have no problem with the DH. On it's plus side, you're putting a capable hitter at the plate rather than (essentially) an automatic out, and that makes for a more exciting game, in my opinion. And you're perhaps extending the careers of players who can still hit but maybe can't field or run very well anymore. Matsui now has bad knees but he can still hit, so he was our DH all season; it worked out well in the end, because he was also the World Series MVP.

The only plus side I see for NOT having a DH is that the manager has to play a little more strategically in later innings: "Should I pinch-hit for the pitcher NOW, knowing I'll also have to then replace him on the mound, or should I let the pitcher hit so that I can KEEP HIM on the mound next inning?"

But I'm not saying both leagues should adopt the same rules when it comes to the DH. I think I agree with T4VS: let the two leagues continue to play by different rules when it comes to the pitcher/DH thing; it gives each league its own character.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 11 2009, 11:44 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Nov 11 2009, 03:54 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 11 2009, 10:38 AM)
You claim that if the DH would be dropped that pitchers would improve their hitting...I'm asking you how?

Never said that. I'm sorry you're confused.

Ok let me rephrase the question...

How does the AL dropping the DH encourages pitchers to be better hitters?

Ummmm....because they'd have to do it? confused13.gif

Right now the only way that's the case is if they play interleague or World Series games in a NL ballpark.

Seriously, I remember a LOT of good hitting pitchers in the AL before the DH rule was implemented.

Good by my standards, of course. smile.gif

Reviving this topic since we started talking about it in the 2015 Cubs thread (or the NL Central thread, I guess).

DH is bullshit...if you're on the starting lineup you participate in all parts of the game. I'd rather watch a pitcher participate in the batter's box than see a 40 year old DH who used to be a position player but is well past his fielding prime come up to the plate. It's just wrong.

• Like 1

Like I alluded to else ware. I thought the DH was cool when I played little league ball, I also thought EVERYBODY loved the NY Yankees. As I became a man and had a better understanding of baseball I began to loathe the DH concept. Also much to my chagrin I learned many people through out the country outside of Boston didn't like the Yankees.
  • Like 1

Reviving this topic since we started talking about it in the 2015 Cubs thread (or the NL Central thread, I guess).

DH is bullshit...if you're on the starting lineup you participate in all parts of the game.

Do you apply that thinking to football? Tell me why quarterbacks shouldn't play both ways?

I am for everyone batting

but if the DH is the rule, it should be the rule for all leagues.

For over a century, the Rule was that the pitcher had to bat. That Rule should be for both Leagues. The Designated Hitter is a gimmick; it was invented to generate more offense (and increase ratings).

The NFL equivalent of this rule: The AFC allows six eligible receivers, or perhaps makes the defense have only ten players on the field.

DH is bullshit...if you're on the starting lineup you participate in all parts of the game.

Do you apply that thinking to football? Tell me why quarterbacks shouldn't play both ways?

For BC, the more players that go both ways, the better.

• Like 1

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--nBrVmkuW--/19fwzw476fytpjpg.jpg

did you know that in the minor leagues all teams in the rookie and single-A, use the DH

and double A and triple A if both teams are National league affiliates the pitchers may bat but both teams agree to have the pictures bat before the game.

Yep, but minor league baseball isn't really competition, they're exhibition games. All of them.

because he likes wangs too... I get it, hilarious!

did you know that in the minor leagues all teams in the rookie and single-A, use the DH

and double A and triple A if both teams are National league affiliates the pitchers may bat but both teams agree to have the pictures bat before the game.

Yep, but minor league baseball isn't really competition, they're exhibition games. All of them.

I would agree with you if the minors didn't have a Championship, but they do. Spring Training games are exhibition games, certainly.

I am for everyone batting

but if the DH is the rule, it should be the rule for all leagues.

For over a century, the Rule was that the pitcher had to bat. That Rule should be for both Leagues. The Designated Hitter is a gimmick; it was invented to generate more offense (and increase ratings).

The NFL equivalent of this rule: The AFC allows six eligible receivers, or perhaps makes the defense have only ten players on the field.

I don't think that's the NFL equivalent at all. It would be like if baseball had 9 people bat and 9 different people field. It doesn't happen so you really can't draw a parallel

I would agree with you if the minors didn't have a Championship, but they do. Spring Training games are exhibition games, certainly.

And if the major league club needs the Triple Crown winner to spot pinch run in the majors in the middle of the championship series, he's on the plane to the bigs.

That's an apples and bowling ball comparo IMO - the positions and skills are lined up as well. Play the game, man up, or go home. :)

• Like 1

That's an apples and bowling ball comparo IMO - the positions and skills are lined up as well. Play the game, man up, or go home. :)

A pitcher is as unique position to the game, just as a quarterback is. The NFL equivalent of the DH in the NFL is the protection from getting hit that a QB has. Special rule for a special player. An NL pitcher got drilled at the plate tonight. What if that hits him in the wrist? Cubs advance, but are done for the post season.

A pitcher is as unique position to the game, just as a quarterback is. The NFL equivalent of the DH in the NFL is the protection from getting hit that a QB has. Special rule for a special player. An NL pitcher got drilled at the plate tonight. What if that hits him in the wrist? Cubs advance, but are done for the post season.

The way I see it is same as if it happened to any other player on the team. Shortstop gets clocked right in the shinbone and is essentially done, the team should compensate. Depth is part of the game. If Arrieta had to be taken out, then the bullpen or another starter could take over, which is why Maddon put Lester and Hendricks on the WC roster today, for that reason. I just don't see enough to justify the special treatment for the pitcher, compared to football.

The way I see it is same as if it happened to any other player on the team. Shortstop gets clocked right in the shinbone and is essentially done, the team should compensate. Depth is part of the game. If Arrieta had to be taken out, then the bullpen or another starter could take over, which is why Maddon put Lester and Hendricks on the WC roster today, for that reason. I just don't see enough to justify the special treatment for the pitcher, compared to football.

Depth at QB not an issue for NFL teams? But the analogy doesn't rest on injury, it's about a special rule for a special position.

I was a purist when I was younger, but these days, the NL pitcher batting when 9/10 times it's pretty much an automatic out seems pretty dumb. A team gets something going and then here comes the rally killer... What's the point? Tradition?

• Like 2