Designated Hitter

Inthend

The only sport i know which each conference play with different rules.  

32 members have voted

1. 1. The only sport i know which each conference play with different rules.

• 1. Each player should have to bat.
    • 2. Why bother putting a bat in a picher's hand?

Actually the DH rule had already "broken tradition". The DH rule first came into existence in 1973...before that year pitchers batted in both leagues since the majors began. So in actuality you are suggesting a return to tradition.

I voted to keep DH as it gives each league their own identity. I would like to get rid of inter-league play though....makes the World Series more interesting IMO.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Nov 10 2009, 10:05 PM)
Each player should have to bat.

This would encourage the pitchers to become better hitters.

There has never been DH in NL after all these years and aside from a handful of pitchers (Zambrano for instance) there haven't really been many good hitting pitchers at all confused13.gif

So how does getting rid of the DH in the AL encourages pitchers to become better hitters?

If anything it will become much worse because of the fact that AL pitchers didn't have to deal with swinging a bat. They would become more automatic outs than even the NL pitchers now.

I like it the way it is now; you have both worlds and each league has its identity. It makes the world Series much more interesting as far as strategy goes.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 10 2009, 10:50 PM)

There has never been DH in NL after all these years and aside from a handful of pitchers (Zambrano for instance) there haven't really been many good hitting pitchers at all confused13.gif

So how does getting rid of the DH in the AL encourages pitchers to become better hitters?

If anything it will become much worse because of the fact that AL pitchers didn't have to deal with swinging a bat. They would become more automatic outs than even the NL pitchers now.

I like it the way it is now; you have both worlds and each league has its identity. It makes the world Series much more interesting as far as strategy goes.

The only way pitchers will be better hitters if they played like Babe Ruth did. Play the field on the days they don't pitch so they get more at-bats....thing is there will probably never be a player like Ruth who can both hit and pitch with authority.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 10 2009, 07:50 PM)

Good hitting pitchers that I can recall. And I know there are many more! biggrin.gif

Oral Hershiser

Tom Glavin

Fernando Valenzuela

Greg Maddux

Plus, the strategy plays such an important part of the game when the pitcher bats! wink.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Nov 10 2009, 11:00 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 10 2009, 07:50 PM)

Good hitting pitchers that I can recall. And I know there are many more! biggrin.gif

Oral Hershiser

Tom Glavin

Fernando Valenzuela

Greg Maddux

Plus, the strategy plays such an important part of the game when the pitcher bats! wink.gif

It's still a small percentage of all pitchers.

Yes that is why I think it makes the World Series interesting...When an AL team has to play in an NL park and there is no DH the AL team loses a bat and must adjust accordingly. When an NL team plays in AL park the NL team gains a bat in the lineup as opposed to a pitcher batting (Who is more often than not are automatic outs)

I recalled in the 93 World Series when the Jays had to decide how to handle the non-DH rule because Cito had to figure out what to do in terms of who to drop from the lineup. Molitor was the regular DH and Cito decided to take out Olerud at first base to keep Molly's bat in the lineup (and Olerud was the AL batting champ that year).

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

A good hitting pitcher is certainly a relative term, T4VS.

Would you care to offer a number that I can compare to?

If you're looking for a guy who hits .300 and hits 10 HR, then yeah, they're hard to come by.

Personally, I think that a pitcher hitting in the 0.200 range is pretty good, considering they're mainly asked to pitch well.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Nov 11 2009, 08:36 AM)
A good hitting pitcher is certainly a relative term, T4VS.

Would you care to offer a number that I can compare to?

If you're looking for a guy who hits .300 and hits 10 HR, then yeah, they're hard to come by.

Personally, I think that a pitcher hitting in the 0.200 range is pretty good, considering they're mainly asked to pitch well.

You claim that if the DH would be dropped that pitchers would improve their hitting...I'm asking you how?

The only thing that would improve if the AL pitchers were force to bat is their bunting skills because that is all managers are going to make them do in spring training and practices. Which is what NL managers are doing now and have been doing forever. Well at least in this era of bullpen strategies being done by managers.

Do NL pitchers partake in regular batting practice like the position players do? I'd say no.

If pitchers smack out homers and hit for high averages they are just bonuses for the team. How often does that happen though?

The main priority is their pitching.

Managers will always pinch hit for pitchers depending on pitch counts and the situation calls for a better bat to produce runs. if it is late in the game and the team needs a run or 2 to tie game or go ahead the pitcher will always be pinch hit for regardless of how well the pitcher hits.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Nov 11 2009, 09:02 AM)
I'd much rather see the likes of Jim Thome come to the plate than Jamie Moyer.

yes.gif Thats right, you want your team to lose the W.S. with your pitcher at bat ? I think not no.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 11 2009, 09:46 AM)
DH is like Astroturf and indoor parks, for pussies.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

The national league has it right ! Everyone should bat. If an American league manager is getting paid, he should learn what managing really is.

Its a sissy rule, batting is part of the game. Put on a glove or go home. DH is like Astroturf and indoor parks, for pussies.

Play ball like men!

"I dunno. I never smoked any Astroturf." - Asked for a preference of grass or Astroturf

-Tug McGraw

"If a horse won't eat it, I don't want to play on it."

-Dick Allen

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 11 2009, 09:56 AM)
Its a sissy rule, batting is part of the game.  Put on a glove or go home.  DH is like Astroturf and indoor parks, for pussies.

Play ball like men!

"I dunno. I never smoked any Astroturf." - Asked for a preference of grass or Astroturf

-Tug McGraw

-Dick Allen

laugh.gif

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 11 2009, 07:00 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 11 2009, 09:56 AM)
Its a sissy rule, batting is part of the game.  Put on a glove or go home.  DH is like Astroturf and indoor parks, for pussies.

Play ball like men!

-Tug McGraw

-Dick Allen

laugh.gif

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif rofl3.gif

The main reason pitchers should bat is because of bean balls. When Padilla was with the Rangers he was a bean ball machine. He would literally sabotage games for personal reasons. I think keeping with old school ball and having the pitchers bat keeps them honest on the mound.

No to the DH.

No to instant replay in any sport.

Edited by liquidcrystalcompass

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Nov 11 2009, 12:35 PM)
The main reason pitchers should bat is because of bean balls. When Padilla was with the Rangers he was a bean ball machine. He would literally sabotage games for personal reasons. I think keeping with old school ball and having the pitchers bat keeps them honest on the mound.

This is the only reason that I like to see pitchers bat. It's fun to watch a pitcher dig into the batters box after plunking someone. But it doesn't happen that much, and like I said earlier, I'd rather see a professional hitter in the box four times a game rather than see three strike outs and a bunt.

• Like 1