The Pineapple Thief

The Owl

Hello all... Just starting another band discussion thread..

Anyone ever listen to any "The Pineapple Thief"? A band that has been around since 99, and I am just getting into them... I have their album "Tightly Unwound" after noticing it on Progarchives.com.....and I must say this album is f***ing awesome....

The biggest appeal of this great band is their style... they are a great mix of the melodic alternative sound of Radiohead, with a progressive edge of say like Porcupine Tree......

Check em out.

Not bad Owl. I bought all of their records and listened to them all over a couple of days.

I thought they had their moments but overall kind of boring and cliche.

I like their name too but it's very close to Steven's band.

Porcupine Tree and Pineapple Thief. Who's ripping off who?

My new band is called Pelican Toes.

Im digging em'

They are, like I said, like a perfect mix of Porucpine Tree and Radiohead. Hell, the singer even sounds alot like Thom Yorke

All I have is thier latest album......... which is Brilliant...I am likeing it very much.

They are doing a few shows in the Netherlands with Riverside right now...that would be a really good show to see

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Oct 28 2009, 12:57 AM)
I totally agree Owl.
When I first listened to this band I actually thought the exact same thing.

Porcupine Tree + Radiohead = Pineapple Thief!

Enjoy!!!!

Get that new Wolfmother dude!

I recommend the owl pick up the new BTBAM. Its amazing.

BTBAM is touring with scale the summit, devin townsend and cynic!

Owl are you still in Nashville area?

I will check out the other PT too!

Yes I am still in Nashville

BTBAM is a band I could never get into....the music is there... but the vocals are a big turn away......... I can stand Mike Akerfeldt's growls (Even Enjoy at times), but not BTBAM's vocalist.....sorry...

....so apparently I am the only one who enjoys "The Pineapple Thief"

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 28 2009, 10:20 PM)
Yes I am still in Nashville

BTBAM is a band I could never get into....the music is there... but the vocals are a big turn away......... I can stand Mike Akerfeldt's growls (Even Enjoy at times), but not BTBAM's vocalist.....sorry...

....so apparently I am the only one who enjoys "The Pineapple Thief"

well they are opening the tour with scale the summit in January. thought you might try to catch the show......

I don't have much Opeth but will concede that Mikael has superior voice but if you can handle his growls its seems strange that BTBAM growls would turn you off. Howver their is far less growling on the new disc than on colors, two songs are completely growl free. Musically speaking the new BTBAM is just wow! It exudes energy and reminds of the intensity of the jams on images and words.

The most jamming and by far the most creative/eclectic disc of the year( that i have heard). Seriously. At times i think the drumming even surpasses Gavin Harrison!

Edited by tangy

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 29 2009, 08:56 AM)
I could never listen to a band with a weird name like that.

ahe,.........

and I bet you thought the same thing the first time you heard "Porcupine Tree"'s Name

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 29 2009, 12:14 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 29 2009, 08:56 AM)
I could never listen to a band with a weird name like that.

ahe,.........

and I bet you thought the same thing the first time you heard "Porcupine Tree"'s Name

Nope. Porcupine Tree is a perfectly normal name.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Nov 5 2010, 07:13 PM)
I still need to get the latest, but if your used to their unique sound, you should like it.

Yeah, I like them a lot. Some of the songs on SHiM are a bit same-ish, but they are good!! Good enough for me to look for more anyway.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Nov 5 2010, 07:18 PM)
I still need to get the latest, but if your used to their unique sound, you should like it.

Yeah, I like them a lot. Some of the songs on SHiM are a bit same-ish, but they are good!! Good enough for me to look for more anyway.

Same here. I recently got Someone Here is Missing, and I love it. Yeah, they aren't doing anything mindblowingly original, but I'm enjoying listening to them. That's what matters to me.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 5 2010, 07:43 PM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Nov 5 2010, 07:18 PM)

Same here. I recently got Someone Here is Missing, and I love it. Yeah, they aren't doing anything mindblowingly original, but I'm enjoying listening to them. That's what matters to me.

Right you are! Cheers!

Like so many other bands that I like, Pineapple Thief came up on my Porcupine Tree Pandora channel, I really like what Bruce Soord is doing.

I recently picked up the remastered version of "12 Stories Down" pretty damn good...

and yes, I still have not picked up SHIM.... it's on a list of music I want, but I keep procrastinating on getting it.