• Damnation
    • Ghost Reveries
    • Watershed

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 19 2011, 04:19 PM)
Listened to "Orchid" earlier today, and it is a great album.... Makes me miss Peter Lindgren's guitar soo much....

Axenrot is an amazing guitarist, don't get me wrong, he's just not Peter.

Hey Owl you've got it backwards- Axenrot is the drummer and Frederick is the guitarist. dazed025.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 19 2011, 03:19 PM)
Listened to "Orchid" earlier today, and it is a great album.... Makes me miss Peter Lindgren's guitar soo much....

I'm going to go out there and say that I think Frederick's playing is a big improvement... laugh.gif

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Dec 20 2011, 03:39 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 19 2011, 03:19 PM)

I'm going to go out there and say that I think Frederick's playing is a big improvement... laugh.gif

I took a listen to some older songs from the Royal Albert Hall live album and I think Federick's great on the older songs....improvement is kinda stretching it a bit for me, but he's fit for Opeth. On the other hand, anyone here miss Per Wilberg?

I've gotten the Opeth kick recently and I have to say, why didn't I get into these guys sooner? Blackwater Park is my favorite album but it's not because Steven Wilson produced it even though I liked the sound of his production. Damnation and Ghost Reveries are close favorites. The only album I bought so far was Heritage and personally I loved it. I'm gonna give a listen to Still Life and see how that goes.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 20 2011, 04:36 PM)
QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Dec 20 2011, 05:29 PM)
On the other hand, anyone here miss Per Wilberg?

The new guy is pretty good. He played the piano on Heritage's title track.

Yeah, I would miss him if they threw out the keyboards altogether, but seeing how Mike has 99% of the creative direction and that Per's parts aren't really that challenging, it doesn't seem like replacing Per is really a big deal.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Dec 20 2011, 05:59 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 20 2011, 04:36 PM)
QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Dec 20 2011, 05:29 PM)
On the other hand, anyone here miss Per Wilberg?

The new guy is pretty good. He played the piano on Heritage's title track.

Yeah, I would miss him if they threw out the keyboards altogether, but seeing how Mike has 99% of the creative direction and that Per's parts aren't really that challenging, it doesn't seem like replacing Per is really a big deal.

Yeah that would suck totally if they abandoned keyboards...I guess I say that I miss Per, but it might sound like a stupid and ridiculous reason. I loved the arrangement of Harvest when he was still with the band though (i.e: Live at the Royal Albert Hall)

The new guy's pretty good from the one song he did on Heritage and I saw the Sonisphere Festival footage from this year with him and the band. He looks like he's having fun and getting into it which is great. Yeah, the keyboard parts seem pretty easy though, and Per wanted to leave the band anyway so it wasn't that huge of a loss. I'm kinda surprised that he stayed for as long as he did though, considering that Mike could get the job done in the studio and hire a live keyboardist kinda like what John Wesley does for guitar with Porcupine Tree.

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Dec 19 2011, 11:50 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 19 2011, 04:19 PM)

Hey Owl you've got it backwards- Axenrot is the drummer and Frederick is the guitarist. dazed025.gif trink39.gif

So many damn lineup changes in the last 3 albums, sorry if I cant get my names straight, Fredrik A. then

Full Opeth Concert available online to watch through the Moshcam online concert service

I could not find it on their online site (you might have to sign up), but if you have a sony Blu-Ray player, you might have the service already (like I do)

A full concert from the Heritage tour is up on there from Sydney... Watching it now.. amazing.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Feb 17 2012, 10:05 PM)
Full Opeth Concert available online to watch through the Moshcam online concert service

I could not find it on their online site (you might have to sign up), but if you have a sony Blu-Ray player, you might have the service already (like I do)

A full concert from the Heritage tour is up on there from Sydney... Watching it now.. amazing.

Nice!! Thanks for posting this, watching now.

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Feb 20 2012, 06:46 PM)
The more I listen to Still Life the more I think it may be their masterpiece. Amazing music on that one. 1022.gif

1022.gif

Good to hear.... i have noticed by recent setlists that the fan community has kind of bent Opeth's will a bit...when I saw them last October they had no harsh vocals at all and alot of their more proggy and less metally material...Ive seen that their stelists as of the last couple of months are still generally the same as the show I saw, but they have added a couple of the heavier/growling tracks back into their rotation....

Which makes me wonder where Opeth will go from here, I loved Heritage, but alot of their hardcore base did not for their change of direction...I wonder if Opeth will continue along the Heritage path or have the next record back towards the heavier side?

I dont think Opeth have any intention of repeating what they've done already, but I think they can still find that balance of their current direction while keeping their heavy sound and satisfy both sides of their audience..

Holy. Freakin. Crap.

I originally got on Rush Forum for the same reason as the rest of you. Huge Rush fan.

Reading this sub-forum is where I got convinced to check out PT as well as C&C. Has had a huge impact on me musically, I ate PT up. So good.

I decided to check out this Opeth thread just this morning. I am listening to the full album version of Blackwater Park on Youtube right now.

WOW. These guys are amazing. And I havent even scratched the surface.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 16 2012, 05:31 AM)
Finally dipping my toes into Opeth waters.

(I'm seeing them in the Autumn, Anathema are opening for them)

f**k, this is good shit.

Just now? Opeth gets even better with repeated listens. The music is haunting and surreal

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Aug 16 2012, 04:45 PM)

f**k, this is good shit.

Just now? Opeth gets even better with repeated listens. The music is haunting and surreal

Yeah, I'm way behind on all things Opeth. I meant to start listening years ago, but there's just so much music out there.

Started playing Blackwater Park & Heritage yesterday on Deezer.

Yowsa.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 16 2012, 12:00 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Aug 16 2012, 04:45 PM)

f**k, this is good shit.

Yeah, I'm way behind on all things Opeth. I meant to start listening years ago, but there's just so much music out there.

Yowsa.

Still Life and Ghost Reveries next.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 16 2012, 12:00 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Aug 16 2012, 04:45 PM)

f**k, this is good shit.

Yowsa.

I didn't realise you weren't an Opeth fan!

ohmy.gif

You'll probably like Damnation and Ghost Reveries.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Aug 17 2012, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 17 2012, 07:51 AM)
Damnation is scarily marvellous.

Have you heard Still Life and Ghost Reveries yet?

No, getting through them all one by one on Deezer. Those 2 are up next.

Damnation has blown my mind, it's very funereal in atmosphere, but so melodic. Was not expecting that.

BUT! Every CD ordered. Should have them all next week.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 17 2012, 09:18 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Aug 17 2012, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 17 2012, 07:51 AM)
Damnation is scarily marvellous.

Have you heard Still Life and Ghost Reveries yet?

No, getting through them all one by one on Deezer. Those 2 are up next.

Damnation has blown my mind, it's very funereal in atmosphere, but so melodic. Was not expecting that.

BUT! Every CD ordered. Should have them all next week.

You just can't go wrong here, except maybe the first album. It's great but mainly metal. Still, there are melodies to find.

Well, I think you will very much enjoy those two I recommended.