• Damnation
    • Ghost Reveries
    • Watershed

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Sep 29 2011, 12:08 AM)
Even Hitler doesn't like it.  And I didn't think I'd agree with him on anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paFSKfPaz30

I don't care if this has been posted already.  It needs to be posted again.

Get over it. smile.gif

You see, if they wanted to sound like they had previously, they would have done so. yes.gif

I happen to really like the latest release.

Just got the new album Heritage the other day. Pretty mellow stuff... I can def see Steven Wilson's influence in the songs. A couple times I was like "WTH is this Porcupine Tree? Oh wait it's Opeth" Pretty good though.. I like it.

If MA did all of this on own, I can see your point, but this was, to my understanding based on things I have read, a band decision and effort. Personally, I don't believe it needed to be posted again.

Oh yes, my opinion really matters squat to the band I am pretty sure.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 28 2011, 09:35 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 28 2011, 04:40 AM)
I've just realized that this poll is completely fuckked.

"Heritage" is not an option.

EPIC FAIL!  tongue.gif

Cause this thread was made 2 years ago....

You know me Owl, I jump the gun a lot. I guess I should look closer to when threads are written.

I need to slow down and smell the Orchids.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 29 2011, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Sep 28 2011, 09:49 PM)
Am I the only one that thinks Watershed is shit? Morningrise was by far my favorite album, though Heritage is growing on me

Perhaps dude. I love that record.

"Heritage" is better though.

Earl,

Don't feed the troll, bro.

wink.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 29 2011, 09:05 PM)

Hey Ender! You must be talking about Jethro Dull.

I thought "Heritage" was quite dull after one listening but then it just got better and better with more spins!

Instead of "Watershed" Jethro Dull can redo that album and entitle it "Aquadung."

By the way I love TULL!! I'm just messing around!

I saw them this summer and they were anything but dull!! 1287.gif

I've played it through about three times in the car (where I do all of my best listening.) The album just gets boring for me after Slither. I'm not saying it sucks, just that it doesn't cut it for me.

Take the death growls out of Watershed. Heck, you can even take out the heavy guitars. Song for song, Watershed is much better than Heritage. Watershed has plenty of little funky/jazzy explorations, and tons of acoustic breaks, and otherwise mellower passages. It's just far superior.

I was more excited than even Richard that Heritage was going to be all clean vocals. And if they wanted to turn down the crunch, ok, I can still hang with that. But write something good. Marrow of the Earth seems like it was written 5 minutes before it was recorded. It barely develops, and then it ends. wtf.gif

This one didn't work for me. It will be interesting to see where Heritage ends up settling in most fans perspective of Opeth albums. I don't think it will be very high, ultimately.

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Sep 29 2011, 06:25 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 29 2011, 09:05 PM)

Hey Ender!  You must be talking about Jethro Dull.

I thought "Heritage" was quite dull after one listening but then it just got better and better with more spins!

Instead of "Watershed" Jethro Dull can redo that album and entitle it "Aquadung."

By the way I love TULL!!  I'm just messing around!

I saw them this summer and they were anything but dull!!  1287.gif

I've played it through about three times in the car (where I do all of my best listening.) The album just gets boring for me after Slither. I'm not saying it sucks, just that it doesn't cut it for me.

Take the death growls out of Watershed. Heck, you can even take out the heavy guitars. Song for song, Watershed is much better than Heritage. Watershed has plenty of little funky/jazzy explorations, and tons of acoustic breaks, and otherwise mellower passages. It's just far superior.

I was more excited than even Richard that Heritage was going to be all clean vocals. And if they wanted to turn down the crunch, ok, I can still hang with that. But write something good. Marrow of the Earth seems like it was written 5 minutes before it was recorded. It barely develops, and then it ends. wtf.gif

This one didn't work for me. It will be interesting to see where Heritage ends up settling in most fans perspective of Opeth albums. I don't think it will be very high, ultimately.

Excellent post Ender!

You and I have something in common. I listen to a new album the best on my commute to work too. I drive an hour plus each way per day.

When I put on Heritage at home on the big stereo I was getting ready to listen to an instant masterpiece.

Well after one listening on the stereo I was taken back and very disappointed in the album.

Hence you can see my earlier posts on here when I ripped this album.

I think I actually said that listening to "Heritage" was like listening to this album in slow motion on the moon.

Nice rip, but then I decided to give the record another chance in the car.

That's when it hit me. I fell for it and now I am obsessed with it.

I'm a drummer but I have a few Ovation guitars in my living room.

I loved picking it up the other day and strumming to this album.

Believe me, I don't know shit about the guitar but I have a good ear.

It's fun to play to.

Anyway about "Watershed." That was my selection on this thread.

One of the greatest albums ever even with the lame ass growl.

You nailed it about the album in terms of talking about the instrumentation.

Blows my mind. That ballad where Mikael sings like an angel is absolutely moves my soul.

If "Watershed" was a non growling album would it have sold better?

Do you think that Opeth is indeed evolving or are they just trying to go commercial for the success and cash grab?

I absolutely HATE growling vocals yet Opeth is ok for me since they have always mixed it up. Even on those early awesome records.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a prog pussy. I own every Opeth record.

"Still Life" is great.

"Blackwater Park" is a masterpiece.

Steven Wilson is the band's muse.

Insane.

I love this band and I can't wait to see them next month.

I'm an Opeth virgin and I can't wait to get popped!

My wife Wendy is staying home. She hates this band.

I'm going solo man. Fukk it. I have a GA floor ticket. I have to go.

I find it funny that I have been playing "Heritage" every night on the stereo lately and she still can't get into it.

Oh well. I am taking Wendy and the girls to Katy Perry in November.

I will survive. At least she can sing and looks great.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Sep 29 2011, 11:14 AM)
Just got the new album Heritage the other day. Pretty mellow stuff... I can def see Steven Wilson's influence in the songs. A couple times I was like "WTH is this Porcupine Tree?  Oh wait it's Opeth"  Pretty good though.. I like it.

Hey Tree!!

What's up???

Well stated!

Do you think that Steven Wilson's influence has made Opeth go in this direction?

Let's face it they are both on the Roadrunner Record Label.

Damn, I wish I owned that label?

These guys are smart and I think they are saving not only prog rock but the existence of the compact disc.

CDS aren't going anywhere!!

Anyway, Roadrunner has the BIG FOUR right now.

RUSH

PORCUPINE TREE

DREAM THEATER

OPETH

That's incredible.

So do you think Opeth is going for the cash too?

Growling vocal bands won't make millions of dollars.

Signed,

VADER

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 30 2011, 01:07 AM)

Excellent post Ender!

You and I have something in common. I listen to a new album the best on my commute to work too. I drive an hour plus each way per day.

When I put on Heritage at home on the big stereo I was getting ready to listen to an instant masterpiece.

Well after one listening on the stereo I was taken back and very disappointed in the album.

I think I actually said that listening to "Heritage" was like listening to this album in slow motion on the moon.

That's when it hit me. I fell for it and now I am obsessed with it.

It's fun to play to.

Anyway about "Watershed." That was my selection on this thread.

Blows my mind. That ballad where Mikael sings like an angel is absolutely moves my soul.

Do you think that Opeth is indeed evolving or are they just trying to go commercial for the success and cash grab?

I absolutely HATE growling vocals yet Opeth is ok for me since they have always mixed it up. Even on those early awesome records.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a prog pussy. I own every Opeth record.

"Still Life" is great.

Insane.

My wife Wendy is staying home. She hates this band.
I'm going solo man. Fukk it. I have a GA floor ticket. I have to go.

I find it funny that I have been playing "Heritage" every night on the stereo lately and she still can't get into it.

Oh well. I am taking Wendy and the girls to Katy Perry in November.

I will survive. At least she can sing and looks great.

trink39.gif

I think any non-growling album would sell better, just because fans of growling are a much smaller subset of the population, even the metal population. The problem is, would songs like Heir Apparent, The Lotus Eater, or Derelict Herds be as effective without the growl? They almost made it through Hessian Peel without it, and I'm still disappointed it made it's late appearance.

I think they are evolving and searching. If they were selling out, the rest of Heritage would have sounded more like The Devil's Orchard and Slither. Jazz fusion does not equal sellout.

I lol'ed at your, "can't wait to get popped" comment. I'll be seeing them on November 1st in Baltimore, and after looking at the setlist, I'm still very excited to see these guys. It's also a GA show, and I plan to get as close to the stage as possible, maybe even stand at the barrier like I did for BCC (my avatar is a picture that I took.)

If you are lucky at the Katy Perry show, her band will break into playing Cygnus X-1 like they did a few years ago. And then your a$$ can go apesh!t while everyone else is wondering "What the fukk is this crap?"

laugh.gif

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Sep 29 2011, 10:35 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 30 2011, 01:07 AM)

Excellent post Ender!

You and I have something in common.  I listen to a new album the best on my commute to work too.  I drive an hour plus each way per day.

That's when it hit me.  I fell for it and now I am obsessed with it.

It's fun to play to.

Anyway about "Watershed."  That was my selection on this thread.

Blows my mind.  That ballad where Mikael sings like an angel is absolutely moves my soul.

I absolutely HATE growling vocals yet Opeth is ok for me since they have always mixed it up.  Even on those early awesome records.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a prog pussy.  I own every Opeth record.

"Still Life" is great.

Insane.

My wife Wendy is staying home.  She hates this band.
I'm going solo man.  Fukk it.  I have a GA floor ticket.  I have to go.

Oh well.  I am taking Wendy and the girls to Katy Perry in November.

I will survive.  At least she can sing and looks great.

trink39.gif

I think any non-growling album would sell better, just because fans of growling are a much smaller subset of the population, even the metal population. The problem is, would songs like Heir Apparent, The Lotus Eater, or Derelict Herds be as effective without the growl? They almost made it through Hessian Peel without it, and I'm still disappointed it made it's late appearance.

I think they are evolving and searching. If they were selling out, the rest of Heritage would have sounded more like The Devil's Orchard and Slither. Jazz fusion does not equal sellout.

I lol'ed at your, "can't wait to get popped" comment. I'll be seeing them on November 1st in Baltimore, and after looking at the setlist, I'm still very excited to see these guys. It's also a GA show, and I plan to get as close to the stage as possible, maybe even stand at the barrier like I did for BCC (my avatar is a picture that I took.)

If you are lucky at the Katy Perry show, her band will break into playing Cygnus X-1 like they did a few years ago. And then your a$$ can go apesh!t while everyone else is wondering "What the fukk is this crap?"

laugh.gif

Hahaha!!

That is funny buddy!! I just used that cherry popping thing again on my Kashmir thread.

I am seeing Saxon tomorrow night and I have never seen them!!! I can't wait!!!!

Then Opeth next month for the first time!!! I have more cherries in me than a cherry tree! LOL!

George Washington would be proud. biggrin.gif

Anyway, I think you are spot on about the growling parts that have been weaved within much of the Opeth back catalog. It works.

I can handle it man, yet I like the "clean sound" much more.

I'm 43 going on 18. Remember I also grew up on all of that melodic hair metal hard rock shit too. I love it all!

I am an Orchard Devil Music Whore.

Picking fresh fruit off of the Opeth Tree, yet enjoying the rotting fruit that is also in the haunted past.

Long Live THE METAL!!

Signed,

"DALLAS 1PM"

(I hope Saxon plays that song tomorrow night) 1287.gif