• Morningrise
    • My Arms Your Hearse
    • Still Life
    • Blackwater Park
    • Deliverance
    • Damnation
    • Ghost Reveries
    • Watershed

Okay..........Hard that this amazing band had not had an official thread yet....... so I decided to create one!!!!!!!!! Adding on a poll for all the studio albums!

Vote and discuss this amazing band

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I voted Blackwater Park.... Watershed is a VERY close second.

Edited by The Owl

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have finally finished getting the Opeth Discography! (Studio Albums, I still need Lamentations Live)

I just got Deliverance......thus rounding off collecting all the studio albums.......... f***ing INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Edited by The Owl

I don't have most of these but out of the 2 i do have, Watershed

Scary Shit from the Opeth Front...

QUOTE ( From Mikael's Myspace)
More non-uplifting news!
I just got a text from Mendez who saying that the driver of the other car (who made the U-turn) that our bus crashed into, sadly passed away from his injuries. On top of that it seems as if it was a deliberate death-stunt from his side as the police had found a suicide-letter in the car-wreck.

This is just getting more odd and scary I tell ya.

I've no idea who he was but I have to say our condoleances goes out to his family and loved ones anyways either though we don't have a name at this point.

I'm kinda lost for words here.

EDIT/UPDATE:
OK, we're back out on tour now, just came into the venue in Brussels. Everyone's alright, but I can see that they're shaken. Apparently it was a clear suicide attempt as the car had not made a U-turn but was actually standing sideways covering one complete lane. As our busdrivers changed lane, the car backed and covered that one instead, and obviously by then, at approximately 80 km/h, it was all over. Our bus crashed into the driver side of the car and the guy, who was 35 years old pretty much died then and there. The paramedics apparently saw signs of life but he died soon after the initial impact. They had found something in his cellphone, some type of message, but we don't know what it said obviously.

I haven't talked to the driver yet but he feels like shit of course. Yet I think he saved lives by going straight on. If the bus would have fallen on its side, who knows what might have happened?

Either way, the show is on for tonight. I have a feeling we might even enjoy playing slightly more than before this all happened. As they say, you don't know what you've got until it's gone.

Thanks for the support + I have forwarded all your nice comments to the guys and crew.

Mike

What a situtation..... Im sure if anyone had to deal with a hitting a guy who was commiting suicide is bad enough... let alone a 15 ton tour bus going at freeway speeds.... Glad that this was not anyworse.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 31 2009, 05:25 PM)
Scary Shit from the Opeth Front...

QUOTE ( From Mikael's Myspace)
More non-uplifting news!
I just got a text from Mendez who saying that the driver of the other car (who made the U-turn) that our bus crashed into, sadly passed away from his injuries. On top of that it seems as if it was a deliberate death-stunt from his side as the police had found a suicide-letter in the car-wreck.

This is just getting more odd and scary I tell ya.

I've no idea who he was but I have to say our condoleances goes out to his family and loved ones anyways either though we don't have a name at this point.

I'm kinda lost for words here.

EDIT/UPDATE:
OK, we're back out on tour now, just came into the venue in Brussels. Everyone's alright, but I can see that they're shaken. Apparently it was a clear suicide attempt as the car had not made a U-turn but was actually standing sideways covering one complete lane. As our busdrivers changed lane, the car backed and covered that one instead, and obviously by then, at approximately 80 km/h, it was all over. Our bus crashed into the driver side of the car and the guy, who was 35 years old pretty much died then and there. The paramedics apparently saw signs of life but he died soon after the initial impact. They had found something in his cellphone, some type of message, but we don't know what it said obviously.

I haven't talked to the driver yet but he feels like shit of course. Yet I think he saved lives by going straight on. If the bus would have fallen on its side, who knows what might have happened?

Either way, the show is on for tonight. I have a feeling we might even enjoy playing slightly more than before this all happened. As they say, you don't know what you've got until it's gone.

Thanks for the support + I have forwarded all your nice comments to the guys and crew.

Mike

What a situtation..... Im sure if anyone had to deal with a hitting a guy who was commiting suicide is bad enough... let alone a 15 ton tour bus going at freeway speeds.... Glad that this was not anyworse.

that is completely insane.

rose.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 22 2009, 09:36 PM)
Hopefully they will be back in the studio soon for an album in 2010!

When they're done with all of their touring their going to be taking a break for a while so chances of that are slim. Mikael is thinking of doing an acoustic singer-songwriter album during the break though.

I got my hands on Blackwater Park and Morningrise last night. The first thing that came to mind while I was listening to Blackwater Park (haven't listened to Morningrise yet) was that it's very "manly" music. laugh.gif I can't think of a better way of putting it. But, it's the kind of music I tend to gravitate towards in that it's not one song after another of the same thing. What I appreciate most is the transitioning that goes on. Growling and heavy, but then changing up to melodic and soothing. It's like listening in on a schizophrenic episode. Musically, I love them. I only need to get past the growling vocals, and Opeth has a new fan.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 5 2009, 09:29 AM)
I got my hands on Blackwater Park and Morningrise last night. The first thing that came to mind while I was listening to Blackwater Park (haven't listened to Morningrise yet) was that it's very "manly" music. laugh.gif I can't think of a better way of putting it. But, it's the kind of music I tend to gravitate towards in that it's not one song after another of the same thing. What I appreciate most is the transitioning that goes on. Growling and heavy, but then changing up to melodic and soothing. It's like listening in on a schizophrenic episode. Musically, I love them. I only need to get past the growling vocals, and Opeth has a new fan.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The growls are easy to get past.... I am no fan of growling myself...but Mikael Akerfeldt's growling is very tolerable, and even sometimes enjoyable..

Mainly because for one they are natural growls, and not synthesised like other Death Metal vocalists..

and two... as you mentioned the growls are used where musically appropriate... and are never out of place.

So. This is the thing about my Opeth experience. It's new. Even with the "new" Porcupine Tree, I'm dying for something that will keep me from being bored off my freaking ass at work. So, Opeth it is. The growling I'm okay with now. The music is amazing. The bass player! Who is this guy? That's what is standing out for me. He's really good.

Okay, in the 10 months that Ive had to stew over this Band, I think I finally have a favorite song by them.........

BLEAK!!!!!!! Just an amazing f***ing song...... the guitar riff that starts before the first clean vocal section is just mind blowing! Not to mention the aforementioned clean vocal section is sung by none other than Steven Wilson (On the Studio version).....then the long instrumental break going from heavy and thrashing to acoustic and melodic...

Bleak is the definitive Opeth song