Favourite Rush stranger moment

cygnus_thegodofbalance

Anyone ever meet a stranger over Rush? One time at Wonderland I was waiting in line, and as the line started moving on the other side, some guy passed and raised his hand for a high five. I proceeded to jump the bar and go BACK in line just so I could talk to him for the remainder of the line.

About two days ago I was walking back from class and a girl saw my S&A shirt and asked me if I saw the tour, I told her I did and she said she saw it at Irvine. She was pretty cute. I've tried to walk that same route since then hoping I'd bump into her again. No luck so far.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Oct 2 2009, 09:12 PM)
About two days ago I was walking back from class and a girl saw my S&A shirt and asked me if I saw the tour, I told her I did and she said she saw it at Irvine. She was pretty cute. I've tried to walk that same route since then hoping I'd bump into her again. No luck so far.

You can always search her through government agencies and set up video cameras in trees near her house.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Dave @Lakeside @ Oct 3 2009, 12:38 PM)

You can always search her through government agencies and set up video cameras in trees near her house.

tongue.gif

laugh.gif

I always go out of my way when a person i dont know asks about rush if im wearing a shirt to give it away,i thinks its great and have spoke to loads of great people,rush fans are great people and other rock fans seem to give them the respect they deserve if they are not keen biggrin.gif

I was chatting to a friend a couple of days ago and out of the corner of my eye I spotted a guy wearing a Rush shirt. I ran over to him like a demented gorilla, (sightings of Rush fans in Ireland are like bigfoot sightings, oft spoken about, but rarely seen) we had a good chat.

I've had lots of encounters actually. Two that come to mind are:

I'm driving back from R30 at Radio City Music Hall to Ottawa. I'm maybe an hour away from home still on a stretch of divided highway doing 120 kmph and this guy in a car pulls up beside me I look over and he is reaching over to the passenger side to roll down the window. I'm sorta thinking "aye aye aye what is this nut-jobs problem?" but he gets the window open and he starts yelling RUSH RULES! and waving and stuff. He cranks up his stereo and I can here him blaring Rush. First off he more than likely noticed my RUSH RLZ plates on the Jeep but I also thought he may have been driving back from the same concert. Very cool.

About 3 weeks ago on a Sunday morning we're sort of hungover and stuff watching some TV when someone rings the doorbell. We always argue who will answer but I am best dealing with !*^#%@ sales guys so I reluctantly jump up to answer it. I open the door and there is this guy I don't really recognize standing there. He says hello, mentions I may recognize him as the guy who walks his two Burmese mountain dogs around the neighborhood (and I do sorta recognize him now). Anyways he says you know I've seen the license plates on your Jeep so I know you must be a Rush fan and you are probably into rock music and stuff. Anyways he is moving to a different part of town so he is uncluttering his house, he has like 8 or 10 Guitar World and Guitar Player magazines and stuff and asks me if I want them, so I'm like YEAH SURE! So I ask him if he is into Rush at all or whatever and he is going on and on about how amazing Neil is (even pronounced PEERT correctly) how great Geddy is and how much Alex has influenced HIS playing and stuff. SO I am like "wow that's cool". Then he goes on to say how amazing their tours and concerts are, and that as a sound tech guy he finds their live shows and gear especially fascinating. So I ask him if he's seen "Rush Backstage Secrets" at all and sort of tell him what it's about. He goes on to say he was part of the crew on one of the last GOWAN tours and how Howard Ungerleider was Gowan's tour manager that year and how cool he was....

Anyways all in all, always very nice to meet fellow fans whether it is by total surprise, an offhand comment that makes a connection, or whether you plan to chat with a bunch at concerts and stuff.

2.gif

The only time I encountered folks that I spoke with was right before the Chicago '08 S&A show. We were at the aquarium and I spotted these peeps with Rush shirts and asked if they were going to the show. They were from Wisconsin. I could see my kids rolling their eyes biggrin.gif so I had a short conversation wished them a good time at the show and moved on.

My older brother went to both S&A shows with me in Chicago. He never really listened to anything by them, (other than what he heard on the radio), but he was a musician and I knew he would enjoy himself, which he did.

I won a meet n greet at the '08 show and he wasn't going to be in the pic because I was the big fan etc. but I convinced him to take the pic.

He just started playing with a band and one guy asked him how the show was. My brother said how good it was and the drummer, whom he just met was a Rush fan. My bro talked about the meet n greet and shaking Alex and Geds hands and the drummer is like I have to shake the hand of the man who shook hands with Ged & Al. Which I find totally funny. BTW my brother showed him the meet n greet pic and he asked if he could have it and he ended up putting the pic up on his wall behind his drums.

Oddly enough, ive seen 2 guys at my local gym wearing S&A tour shirts. I commented to one of the dudes, and he said his dad introduced him back on the HYF tour. and they have been going ever since together. Pretty cool.

we had one just today actually lol we went to the Concord Farmer's Market (both of us wearing our Rush shirts), and two guys at one of the farmer's booths commented on it, saying that Neil PERT (OMG I am so sick of people mispronouncing his name eyesre4.gif) was the greatest drummer that ever lived, that he was a GOD...lol Der Trom continued to talk with the older fellow (who seemed really nice) about drums.

Due to the fact that all my cars proclaim RUSH in a Big way,

his happens all the time

Recently, while on a delivery I had a truck behind me & I turned down a side street & he followed, I found my address & was preparing to exit my van when I had notice the truck had pulled ahead of me & he had exited & was walking toward me, I though I might have cut him of or something, but as soon as he mentioned how cool my Rush Van was I realized he was just another crazed rush fan. He waited while I made my delivery & then couldn't stop talking & reminiscing about all the different tours he had seen, spent 10 minutes or more chatting it up.

Have had people come into both my business cus they saw my car outside,

Always great to chat it up with another rush fan, stranger they may be...

About 25 years ago I was bored & called the phone numbers with 2112 & first one that I got an answer at I told them why I called & we chatted for about 5 minutes about Rush

Most my E-mail have Rush**** which has led to conversations with various people

Now my credit card has the 1st Albums "RUSH" as the wallpaper, Haven't had much of a chance yet to get a stranger to comment on it, But it will surely happen !

When ever I see another concert goer wearing a Rush shirt at the many rock concerts I attend, I Always make comment & if possible some quick conversation.

yes.gif Rush Fan's are Everywhere & when found very enthusiastic common001.gif

QUOTE (Dave @Lakeside @ Oct 3 2009, 06:38 AM)

tongue.gif

the scary thing is there are probably people out there that would actually think of doing this.

Had a Rush related experience today, I was at the Job Centre (unemployment office) for my two-weekly appointment. I had noticed a new guy working there before as he stood out a bit from the rest, with long hair in a ponytail etc, he looked like a bit of a rocker. So, today when I went to sign on, he's the advisor that I end up speaking to and as he's talking to me I happen to look down and he's wearing a sweat band on his wrist with 2.gif on it! I say "No way! You're a Rush fan!" and he looks at me kinda surprised and says "You're a girl AND you're a Rush fan?!" laugh.gif We briefly talked about going to see them in May and that he's going to see Primus and Rob Zombie too (slightly jealous lol).

Wonder if he's a member here confused13.gif

Anyway that was pretty cool as the Job Centre is generally not the most inspiring of places to hang around! laugh.gif

A couple years back on a dive boat in the Keys. I was setting up my gear, and noticed that the guy driving the boat had a beat up GuP shirt on...I asked him if he was a fan and he said "ooooh yeah!" He was a fan since AFTK and Hemispheres. We talked about Rush the whole way out to the wreck we were diving and what concerts we've been to. He hadn't seen them live since Counterparts and was envious that I saw them recently. (I think it was the R30 tour)

I have quite a few stranger moments. I have a huge, white starman emblem/sticker on the back of my Liberty Renegade. It takes up at least one third of my back window. I often get a honk of the horn followed by a thumbs up, or get asked where I got it when in traffic. Nice to know people recognize it. I drive my Renegade with pride everytime I have it out.

2.gif

Once walking back from class I ran into a guy wearing a Rush baseball jersey. I commented on it and we started talking Rush for a bit. Turns out he's a drummer, and he and his friend were in the process of mastering La Villa Strangiato. After we left I though, 'oh jeez, I should have gotten his name or number, we could jam!'

Another time while wandering around downtown, there was some busker. I don't remember what song he was singing at the time, but as I passed while wearing a Rush shirt, he tossed in a line about "that guy's sweet Rush shirt".

Some dude was jamming to Animate in the parking lot as I was looking for a space. A car pulled out next to him and I parked there and rolled my windows down and started singing, and talking about Rush. We kept jamming, and I had forgotten to pick up my brother in his art lessons for like 20 minutes smile.gif

There was only 1 time I've been approached by a stranger concerning Rush. I was wearing my TM tour/MP shirt and a dude comes up to me and asks "Rush? is that some indie band?" I respond by telling him that Rush is actually a pretty big Canadian canadian band. He didn't believe me so I told him about the fact that they hold the record for most consecutive platinum albums. He thought I was terrible liar (because if a band were that big, he would know) and left.

I met a stranger Rush fan in the women's bathroom of my local movie theater. We were both there to see the national premier of Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage. We were drying our hands and I said to her, "Wasn't that amazing?" She nodded enthusiastically and said, "Yes, it was!" She was wearing a Snakes and Arrows tour shirt, so I assume that she had been to a show (or possibly more than one show) on that tour. tongue.gif

I went to the final Nashville screening of BTLS with one of my best friends, who's a female Rush fan and her son. We found seats and then I went to get snacks. When I got back there was a cute young lady sitting in the seat next to mine. I sat down and I struck up a brief conversation with her about music and such before the movie started.

During the film, I couldn't help but notice her singing along to the snippets of songs that were played throughout. When the film was over, we were all walking out and my friend offered to get her phone # for me and stuff, but I was too embarrassed and gave her the evil eye, because she would've done it in a heartbeat. We've known each other for over 20 years, and Rush was her son's first concert in 2002 (he was ten at the time).

Some years back, I am grocery shopping in the veggie section wearing my replica 1981 MP tourshirt, when this older cat comes up to me and says, "great shirt." He then proceeds to ask me if I am a fan of the band, etc. He then tells me he was at their first shows in Cleveland, at the Allen and Agora back in 74 (anybody could have said the Agora, but to say the Allen theatre as well, I knew this cat was true!) Once with Rutsey, the other time with Peart. Holy hell!

He said he lost track of them by Signals and asked if they were still recording/touring. So I filled him in on the deets.

Needless to say, it was a most pleasant conversation particularly about the early gigs!

Archived