Rush 'Moving Pictures' Rock Band Multi-tracks

Show Don't Tell

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Feb 28 2010, 01:17 PM)
QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Feb 28 2010, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 20 2009, 11:22 PM)
QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Nov 19 2009, 04:57 PM)
WOW!  drool1.gif  I finally got around to playing along with TS with my gear and HOLY SHIT!!!  It's like jamming with Neil and Geddy.  I have a small PA set up in my jam room and I ran my iPod through the PA with a copy of TS I made using Audacity where I deleted the guitar track.  I play loud (you have to with two 100W amps) so I cranked the PA up as loud as it would go.  I must have played TS four times in a row I was having so much fun.  This is awesome. smile.gif

I've also discovered that my attempt to match Alex's tone is much better than I thought it was.  When matched with the bass, I sound almost identical to the recording.  I have to get this recorded.

Nice! Let's hear it!

What's with the ending on "Tom Sawyer"? No fade like on the album. I guess they had second thoughts about it after they recorded it and faded it early...only to do the full ending anyway when they play it live. huh.gif

OK I finally got around to recording this. This recording was meant to just be a test of the three mics I was using but it turned out half way decent. You can definitely hear my mistakes (and some feedback laugh.gif ) but I think the tone turned out well. I plan to have another go at the performance this week.

Check it out.

TS Test.

1022.gif That was great! I agree with 1-0-0, the guitar needs to be more up front in the mix, though. But as far as your playing and tone, it blew me away!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. smile.gif

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta love the 4140s! AlexFinal.gif

The guitar is fine in the mix IMO. Close to the original mix.

yeah, the keys are too loud thou...

Nice job. 2.gif

p.s. Sennheiser MD421 & Beyer M201 are the mics he used in early 80s.

Edited by jdouglas

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Feb 28 2010, 09:03 PM)
Gotta love the 4140s!  AlexFinal.gif

The guitar is fine in the mix IMO.  Close to the original mix.

yeah, the keys are too loud thou...

Nice job.  2.gif

p.s. Sennheiser MD421 & Beyer M201 are the mics he used in early 80s.

Yeah the keys are loud. Just came out that way when I converted to MP3 in audacity. I looked at lowering the level in the .MOGG file this weekend but I couldn't find it. All I could find was effects to amplify or compress the track. I'm sure I'm just missing something.

Oh and for mics. I'm using 57s right on the amps and a Samson C03 Multi-Pattern Condenser mic about three feet away centered between the two amps.

For effects, it's only the CE1 chorus with the MXR D+ kicked in at the solo.

Edited by rushfanNlv

I have not used Audacity in a while, but I'm assuming if the keys are their own separate track couldn't you apply an EQ to the track and cut all freqs down a few dbs.

Reaper is also freeware that is useful if Audacity is not cutting it for ya.

I've often wondered which he used for solo boost, the Dist+ or the Micro Amp.

He probably had used one to push the preamp tubes and switch from clean to dirty and one for solo only boosts.

Or he could have just kicked on an extra set of combos for solos...(like I think he uses the switchblades now)....in combination with rolling the guitar volume knob from 7 to 10 which was his MO.

I have both the micro amp and dist+ now so I could do some test too..hmm, I think I'll give ESL a good listen just for that...

EDIT: I just listened to TS, CTTH, RedB, and it seems like its the micro amp to me on solos...I don't hear extra gain but I do here a slightly brighter sound which the micro amp will do (but some people leave it on 24x7 to make up for signal cable loss) ...and he is definitely rolling the guitar volume up. Sounds like he is using the Dist+ for his basic dirty tone (if you hear a very slight wah sorta resonance that's the dist+ IMO in combination with the PAFs) it just sounds like it not 100% cracked...maybe 3:00 on the distortion and volume type settings.

That's my 2 cents. Could be way off. confused13.gif

Edited by jdouglas

It was Marshall's response to the Twin Reverb....pretty clean by marshall standards,....but it can get crunchy...sounds like rushfan had it fairly cranked to me. smile.gif

I replaced V2 with a GE5751 like SRV when he used the amp, so I can clean it up pretty well on the OD channel with the boost on just by rolling back the guitar volume (when the gain is set to 12:00). i.e. I always play it on the OD channel with boost on. wink.gif

The Dist+ is just a mild OD boost (unless it's cranked...very tame by today's standards) and the micro amp is a clean boost...so most of the OD is the 4140 (or Hiwatts or both)...IMO.

Edited by jdouglas

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Mar 1 2010, 10:09 PM)
It was Marshall's response to the Twin Reverb....pretty clean by marshall standards,....but it can get crunchy...sounds like rushfan had it fairly cranked to me.  smile.gif

I replaced V2 with a GE5751 like SRV when he used the amp, so I can clean it up pretty well on the OD channel with the boost on just by rolling back the guitar volume (when the gain is set to 12:00).  i.e. I always play it on the OD channel with boost on.  wink.gif

The Dist+ is just a mild OD boost (unless it's cranked...very tame by today's standards) and the micro amp is a clean boost...so most of the OD is the 4140 (or Hiwatts or both)...IMO.

The 5751 is my secret weapon in my Bogner Ecstasy's clean channel. One of the preamp tube slots is dedicated to the clean channel, and the 5751 smooths it out nicely.

(I'd been meaning to post about getting the Bogner -- got it last spring. That's REALLY putting it off! laugh.gif)

SRV used a 4140? Didn't know that...cool! cool.gif

nice, those Bogner get great reviews...good score....I hear good thing about the Egnaters too..

SRV used the 4140 in early days from 81-84ish...probably in stereo with a Vibroverb.

http://www.stevieray.com/images-a/amp-web83.jpg

And like mine...It just says "Marsh" now rofl3.gif comp26.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

Edited by jdouglas

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Mar 2 2010, 12:37 AM)
nice, those Bogner get great reviews...good score....I hear good thing about the Egnaters too..

SRV used the 4140 in early days from 81-84ish...probably in stereo with a Vibroverb.

http://www.stevieray.com/images-a/amp-web83.jpg

And like mine...It just says "Marsh" now rofl3.gif comp26.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

I hear those Marsh amps are really good! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Bruce Egnator, like Reinhold Bogner and Mike Soldano, knows how to build a monster boutique amp. I saw Kings X last year and Ty Tabor had custom-built Egnators and they sounded killer. Tone for days. Unfortunately, the Egnators you see in Guitar Center are not the same quality. Those four-channel amps are made in China with substandard parts and are priced to sell, and the result is an amp that sounds like a bee's nest. It's a shame the Egnator name is pasted on the front.

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Mar 1 2010, 07:09 PM)
It was Marshall's response to the Twin Reverb....pretty clean by marshall standards,....but it can get crunchy...sounds like rushfan had it fairly cranked to me. smile.gif

I replaced V2 with a GE5751 like SRV when he used the amp, so I can clean it up pretty well on the OD channel with the boost on just by rolling back the guitar volume (when the gain is set to 12:00). i.e. I always play it on the OD channel with boost on. wink.gif

Yeah the dry 4140 was cranked. Preamp volume at around 8 and power amp up to around 6 or so. The wet 4140 preamp is around 3 with the master up at 8 or so. Run one very clean and one very dirty.

The 4140 will get a good amount of gain on it's own with the boost on as jdouglas has mentioned.

Really, the Rebel is made in China? arg...didn't know that....do you have any sound clips of ur Egnator? love to hear it...cool.gif

Soldano is behind that little Jet City 20w that sounds pretty good (better than the other micro wattages to me, blackstars etc..).

I keep the 4140 at home for now, its a bytch to move....(although it loves the neck pickup of my strats)...so I'm running an 80s JTM60 stack 2x12 with a Mesa F-30. Plus I have the Nova system now and no FX loop on the 4140..arg.

I gave my other guitar player a blonde 84 Boogie Studio 22 to use, and he loves the natural feedback that thing can put out when you sustain notes...and that's the clean channel...haha. 1022.gif

Edited by jdouglas

I'm not sure how many of those Egnator amps are made in China, but the four-channel head I was referring to was the Tourmaster. $1400 is damn cheap for a new four-channel 100w all-tube head, but in this case, you get what you pay for.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Egnater-Tourma...473-i1388438.gc

At some point I'll post clips of the Bogner. cool.gif

Well, if the Tourmaster is made in China, I'm sure the 30w Rebel is..shame.

Yeah, that's why I'm a combo guy....even 1400 is alot of scratch...I'd score me a mesa lonestar combo if I had 1400 to spare. wink.gif

I've basically turned into "Lonestar Boogie" chasing Timmons tone with my Mesa and BB+. Even bought the Timmons At-1 bucker. ha. I'm so sad. laugh.gif

(Where is Lonestar these days?)

This song has been kicking my ass for two weeks, but it's just so juicey. wub.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKeMzevbcgw

jdouglas- how would you contrast the JTM 60 with the 4140. Been thinking about picking up a JTM 30 or JTM 60, but all the talk on this forum has me wondering about the 4140, though I am afraid it will be way too much amp for me at home, and I really like having the effects loop... I'd like to use the JTM with my switchblade as the one side of a stereo rig (probably the clean side from what I hear about them).

BTW I caught a really nasty bit of malware called "Windows Guardian 2010" today when I was downloading another one of these tracks- not positive it came from the megaupload site, cuz I was multitasking, but be careful.... If you get a popup about your windows security kill your browser using task manager (for you windows types)- DONT click anywhere in the popup, or you will have hell getting it off your system.

QUOTE (tskidmore @ Mar 10 2010, 08:56 PM)
jdouglas- how would you contrast the JTM 60 with the 4140. Been thinking about picking up a JTM 30 or JTM 60, but all the talk on this forum has me wondering about the 4140, though I am afraid it will be way too much amp for me at home, and I really like having the effects loop... I'd like to use the JTM with my switchblade as the one side of a stereo rig (probably the clean side from what I hear about them).

BTW I caught a really nasty bit of malware called "Windows Guardian 2010" today when I was downloading another one of these tracks- not positive it came from the megaupload site, cuz I was multitasking, but be careful.... If you get a popup about your windows security kill your browser using task manager (for you windows types)- DONT click anywhere in the popup, or you will have hell getting it off your system.

The 4140 is pure goodness. I only use the lead channel with the boost always on so I can't speak to the other channel (I don't think anyone uses the 2nd channel). The lead channel can clean up well enough for me. The stock speakers are pretty low efficiency so it's not wall shaking loud unless it's above 7 or 8 on the master. I rarely use it above 5. Downside, it weights a ton. wub.gif

I tried alot of Marshalls and the JTM60 was the closes tone wise to the 4140 in a 1x12 package. Great Marshally clean, 2 fx loops, and the OD channel is very good. They have a rep for great tone, but overheating alot, so get one with a fan in it. I got it for a little more than half as much as the 4140. The JCM800 and 900 combos are also nice (bit heavier rock sounding and few bucks more).

If you are not gonna move it much the 4140 is the way to good....the JTM is a nice portable (and lower cost) substitute.

I've found Fenders and Mesas to be much louder than Marshalls, so your switchblade might to be louder too (or it may just be an audio taper thing)...either way running two different amps is the chit!

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Mar 10 2010, 11:39 PM)
I tried alot of Marshalls and the JTM60 was the closes tone wise to the 4140 in a 1x12 package. Great Marshally clean, 2 fx loops, and the OD channel is very good.  They have a rep for great tone, but overheating alot, so get one with a fan in it...

The JTM60 overheats because of the stupid way the power tubes are situated -- sideways, if I remember correctly. In a combo where the tubes are underneath the chassis, sideways is a bad idea. Real nice sounding amps, though.

very true 1001, mine came with a little 2 inch fan perfect no issues..or you can get a clip on from staples I guess (internal fan is probably quieter i'm guessing).

so tskidmore...which is better the AL or the HRF?

hehe. tongue.gif

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Mar 11 2010, 12:19 AM)
very true 1001, mine came with a little 2 inch fan perfect no issues..or you can get a clip on from staples I guess (internal fan is probably quieter i'm guessing).

Is the fan in yours factory installed, or retrofitted later?

fitted later prior to buying used.

My tech said the 4140 is 100% original (he refused to install the new grill i bought for it..ha) and rated at 145 watts. ohmy.gif I should hook the extension cab to it, bet it would be loud as heck with that. oh, the 4140 loves pedals too.

He also said the fan wiring on the JTM was awful so he cleaned that up. nice guy...does good work. I don't mind working on my own guitars but amp volts scare me. ph34r.gif

Anyone need a new 4140 grill? ha. tongue.gif

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Mar 11 2010, 12:45 AM)
I don't mind working on my own guitars but amp volts scare me.  ph34r.gif

And they should scare you. Most Marshalls have a plate voltage of about 450-480 volts. I'll bet the 4140's is higher than that. My Bogner's plate voltage is 540. Yikes.

That's why we pay our techs the big bucks.

You guys should join my G.A.S. forum

http://forum.thestompbox.net/

Nice folks there. It started out as a digital amp modeler FX discussion forum but it is now just an overall gear GAS forum.

We need more tube amp lovers vs. the Axe-FX and Digitech RP1000 crowd.

Although I also own a digitech RP500 as a backup ha. tongue.gif

It makes ya feel better when you see how much some of these people flip there gear rigs. tongue.gif

I'm jstickman over there. biggrin.gif

Re: the AL-355 vs the 1980 HRF, I haven't done a systematic comparison.

The 355 is a tone beast, but the large size and weight makes it less comfortable to pick up and play.

The neck on the HRF is so fast and it plays so easy, it is a joy to pick it up and play it; even unplugged it just rings like mad, though I havent spent enough time yet to tweak the amp settings.

I'll restring 'em both with the same strings and do a more thoughtful comparison and post it.