Experience 'Paranormal Activity'!

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Oct 27 2009, 07:18 PM)
Here's a question: If I really hated The Blair Witch Project with a passion, would I hate this flick as well?

I watched the posted video of this movie and it looks like more of the same. Maybe I'm not appreciating this type of film, but I feel like I'm watching my little brother's amateur attempt at making a movie with our first video camera. All the way through The Blair Witch Project I kept asking myself why I continued to watch it, and why I didn't come up with that lame idea myself. I could have made millions with a $2,000 video camera, some high school drama students and some sticks tied together. laugh.gif

The key to the success of BWP was the marketing of it as a "true event"....that was the difference.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a question: If I really hated The Blair Witch Project with a passion, would I hate this flick as well?

I watched the posted video of this movie and it looks like more of the same. Maybe I'm not appreciating this type of film, but I feel like I'm watching my little brother's amateur attempt at making a movie with our first video camera. All the way through The Blair Witch Project I kept asking myself why I continued to watch it, and why I didn't come up with that lame idea myself. I could have made millions with a $2,000 video camera, some high school drama students and some sticks tied together. laugh.gif

You will hate it. The trailer was a bunch of plants pretending to be scared.

It was not a good movie, period.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Oct 27 2009, 08:01 PM)

try imdb.com and read the numerous reviews of the film. There are mixed reviews, but most look good.

Go see the damn movie once and for all so you can come back and say, "tick, you were right, it sucked !"

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 28 2009, 10:51 AM)
QUOTE (vital signz @ Oct 27 2009, 08:01 PM)

try imdb.com and read the numerous reviews of the film. There are mixed reviews, but most look good.

Go see the damn movie once and for all so you can come back and say, "tick, you were right, it sucked !"

laugh.gif I like movies so I will probably see it eventually. Maybe when it comes to the local Redbox for a dollar, then I'll give you the credit you deserve. atickhum.gif

I didn't think the movie was as bad as all of you say it was. It was... different. The most entertaining thing for me was a couple ladies screaming in the audience. I looked over at my wife and saw her bury her head in her hands waiting for something to jump out.

It is not something I would ever watch again. But, there is absolutely nothing at the theatres now that looks remotely good and this movie was a 'best of the worst' selection.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Oct 29 2009, 07:46 PM)
I strongly disagree with the haters here. I saw it and thought it was the most genuinely scary movie I've seen in a long time.

Why ? What was scary about it ?

Some parts were so downright stupid they were funny.........

------------SPOILER ALERT----(highlight to read)

"I have a collegue who can help you, he's a demonologist"

DEMONOLOGIST!!!! WTF!!!! rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Then when the pyschic came back to the house later explaining he had to leave immedietly because his presence was aggrivating the entity.... I laughed my ass off.....so damn stupid!

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 22 2009, 12:16 AM)
I've d/l a DVDscreener of this movie but going to watch it Halloween night...

Just finished watching it.

Meh it was okay...I've certainly seen way worse movies than this and definitely better. I like it for the subject matter mostly. Just think they could've done more with it and make it more interesting without compromising the so-called "reality" of the whole story.

I think some people hate it because truthfully it is kind of boring as it goes along but I honestly think this is what makes it appears "realistic".

Sure it had some creepy moments but I certainly wouldn't call it the scariest movie out there. I guess it depends on how much you believe this stuff.

I watched a DVD screener of PA and it has apparently the original ending of the movie rather than what is being shown in the theatre. I have to see the ending of the theatrical version to compare (actually I accidently spoiled myself on it and know what happen; just haven't viewed it) but the original ending to me would seem more "plausible" for a lack of a better word and thus more "realistic" but compared to the theatrical ending it is not as dramatic and "scary" I guess. More tragic than anything.

I would definitely classified this film the same as Blair Witch...a film which evokes either genuine fear or total derision but deemed successful due to savvy marketing.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 1 2009, 07:44 AM)

Meh it was okay...I've certainly seen way worse movies than this and definitely better. I like it for the subject matter mostly. Just think they could've done more with it and make it more interesting without compromising the so-called "reality" of the whole story.

I think some people hate it because truthfully it is kind of boring as it goes along but I honestly think this is what makes it appears "realistic".

Sure it had some creepy moments but I certainly wouldn't call it the scariest movie out there. I guess it depends on how much you believe this stuff.

I watched a DVD screener of PA and it has apparently the original ending of the movie rather than what is being shown in the theatre. I have to see the ending of the theatrical version to compare (actually I accidently spoiled myself on it and know what happen; just haven't viewed it) but the original ending to me would seem more "plausible" for a lack of a better word and thus more "realistic" but compared to the theatrical ending it is not as dramatic and "scary" I guess. More tragic than anything.

I would definitely classified this film the same as Blair Witch...a film which evokes either genuine fear or total derision but deemed successful due to savvy marketing.

I don't think you can accurately portray "realistic" by the fact nothing really happened. Who's to say what a malevolent spirit would do over the coarse of a months time ? I think a lot more would take place that what happened in this movie. I just think this could have been good and failed badly. The ending was anticlimactic, and made me roll my eyes and think to myself I have been had. The funny thing is as this movie progressed through September, I said, oh great there gonna die on my birthday just to creep me out. Sure enough they did. laugh.gif

I probably would not have been nearly as hard on this movie if I didn't get suckered by the trailer. That was a fraud and it bothered me that this movie succeeded greatly because of it.

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 1 2009, 08:55 AM)

I don't think you can accurately portray "realistic" by the fact nothing really happened. Who's to say what a malevolent spirit would do over the coarse of a months time ? I think a lot more would take place that what happened in this movie. I just think this could have been good and failed badly. The ending was anticlimactic, and made me roll my eyes and think to myself I have been had. The funny thing is as this movie progressed through September, I said, oh great there gonna die on my birthday just to creep me out. Sure enough they did. laugh.gif

I probably would not have been nearly as hard on this movie if I didn't get suckered by the trailer. That was a fraud and it bothered me that this movie succeeded greatly because of it.

Just wondering Rich are you familiar with the original ending of the movie?

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 1 2009, 11:37 AM)

I am not, Rick.

I saw it today, and I loved it. It was truly creepy and got to me several times so much I had to close my eyes to not see what was happening. It was really great, and I am hard to please.

I think that if you go see this with realistic expectations that it cost 11,000 dollars to make, and it is a sleeper film done by three kids essentially right out of film school, you will appreciate how damn great it is.

I have seen hundreds of shitty movies that cost millions to make.

This is a gem folks. Catch it in a theater if you can.

And good luck catching a good nights' sleep afterwards for a while laugh.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 1 2009, 03:05 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 1 2009, 11:37 AM)

I am not, Rick.

So im guessing that you really really really HATE this movie? wink.gif

QUOTE (vital signz @ Nov 1 2009, 06:29 PM)
I saw it today, and I loved it. It was truly creepy and got to me several times so much I had to close my eyes to not see what was happening. It was really great, and I am hard to please.

I think that if you go see this with realistic expectations that it cost 11,000 dollars to make, and it is a sleeper film done by three kids essentially right out of film school, you will appreciate how damn great it is.

This is a gem folks. Catch it in a theater if you can.

You had to close your eyes ? Your going to have a hard time sleeping ?

unsure.gif

Well, I don't know what to say to that ? I saw it by myself I can't can't say 10 seconds of this movie was even remotely scary. The ending was ultra lame.

I don't think I have ever heard of a movie where the opinions were so wide ranged.

Perhaps I should tie a string to my bedroom door tonight and film it as I close it slowly around 3 am. I'll freak out and scream, "DAMN, THE DOOR MOVED A LITTLE BIT !" Then I'll fall out of my bed onto some baby powder that has my cats foot prints in it. I'll then scream, "ARGGGG, A DEMON CAT IS IN THE HOUSE !" Then I'll go into the kitchen for a drink of water and nearly slip on a banana peal mysteriously sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor. I'm gonna make millions ! common001.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 1 2009, 07:21 PM)
I saw it today, and I loved it.  It was truly creepy and got to me several times so much I had to close my eyes to not see what was happening.  It was really great, and I am hard to please. 

This is a gem folks.  Catch it in a theater if you can.

unsure.gif

Well, I don't know what to say to that ? I saw it by myself I can't can't say 10 seconds of this movie was even remotely scary. The ending was ultra lame.

I don't think I have ever heard of a movie where the opinions were so wide ranged.

Perhaps I should tie a string to my bedroom door tonight and film it as I close it slowly around 3 am. I'll freak out and scream, "DAMN, THE DOOR MOVED A LITTLE BIT !" Then I'll fall out of my bed onto some baby powder that has my cats foot prints in it. I'll then scream, "ARGGGG, A DEMON CAT IS IN THE HOUSE !" Then I'll go into the kitchen for a drink of water and nearly slip on a banana peal mysteriously sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor. I'm gonna make millions ! common001.gif

dude, you are really ripping on this movie. it wasnt that bad.

QUOTE (tHobbs @ Nov 1 2009, 08:27 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Nov 1 2009, 07:21 PM)
I saw it today, and I loved it.  It was truly creepy and got to me several times so much I had to close my eyes to not see what was happening.  It was really great, and I am hard to please. 

This is a gem folks.  Catch it in a theater if you can.

unsure.gif

dude, you are really ripping on this movie. it wasnt that bad.

I thought it was pretty lame. The acting was awful. Every night was the same and nothing really happened. The more anyone says this movie scared them, the more I hate it. atickhum.gif

I guess I have to just accept the fact some people liked this movie. It hard but I'll try. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 2 2009, 03:57 PM)
I guess I have to just accept the fact some people liked this movie. It hard but I'll try. atickhum.gif

You're obsessed man. You're as bad as me going on and on foaming at the mouth talking about how stupid the movie "I Love you Man" was.

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 1 2009, 08:21 PM)
Perhaps I should tie a string to my bedroom door tonight and film it as I close it slowly around 3 am. I'll freak out and scream, "DAMN, THE DOOR MOVED A LITTLE BIT !" Then I'll fall out of my bed onto some baby powder that has my cats foot prints in it. I'll then scream, "ARGGGG, A DEMON CAT IS IN THE HOUSE !" Then I'll go into the kitchen for a drink of water and nearly slip on a banana peal mysteriously sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor. I'm gonna make millions!

Sounds a lot like "The Blair Witch Project"