Experience 'Paranormal Activity'!

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 11 2009, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Oct 11 2009, 10:35 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Oct 9 2009, 01:08 PM)
I watched that trailer again and I can't help but think the whole audience was made up of actors. You never see an audience react that way to a horror film.
If it is that scary, I must see that movie !
I think The Exorcist is probably the only movie to ever invoke such a reaction.
The 1,000,000 counter is almost at 900,000.
I really think this movie is being hyped by maybe the most brilliant marketing strategy ever.

This is nothing new.

REC (Spanish horror) did this years ago:

I guess Spanish is a very frightening language. tongue.gif wink.gif

Speaking of Spanish horror have you seen The Orphanage? It's really good so check it out if you haven't already.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 16 2009, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Oct 11 2009, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Oct 11 2009, 10:35 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Oct 9 2009, 01:08 PM)
I watched that trailer again and I can't help but think the whole audience was made up of actors. You never see an audience react that way to a horror film.
If it is that scary, I must see that movie !
I think The Exorcist is probably the only movie to ever invoke such a reaction.
The 1,000,000 counter is almost at 900,000.
I really think this movie is being hyped by maybe the most brilliant marketing strategy ever.

This is nothing new.

REC (Spanish horror) did this years ago:

I guess Spanish is a very frightening language. tongue.gif wink.gif

Speaking of Spanish horror have you seen The Orphanage? It's really good so check it out if you haven't already.

I did see it and I liked it.

Here are some comments from friends of mine on Facebook who have gone to see the movie:

First comment by a neighbor who is around my age:

"This Movie was so good. It will mess with your mind during the movie and the ending was so good. The people in my theatre nobody moved when it ended. People were yelling turn the lights on, it was that scary and good. Crazy Movie,definatly worth the trip"

Second comments by a 19 year old girl who is the daughter of a good friend:

"NEVER EVER EVER EVER GO AND SEE THAT MOVIE. i ran out crying and shaking."

COOL! I really want to go now! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Oct 17 2009, 05:56 PM)
Here are some comments from friends of mine on Facebook who have gone to see the movie:

"This Movie was so good. It will mess with your mind during the movie and the ending was so good. The people in my theatre nobody moved when it ended. People were yelling turn the lights on, it was that scary and good. Crazy Movie,definatly worth the trip"

COOL!  I really want to go now! 1022.gif

Well, I'm guessing you did not read my review of the movie ? You can go back and read what I wrote ?

It was not very good at all. ! I'm surprised no one yelled, I want my money back. The audience I was with was not impressed. The ending was typical.

Pure hype. This movie is not good and if you waste your time and money to go see it, don't say I didn't warn you.

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 18 2009, 04:27 PM)

Well, I'm guessing you did not read my review of the movie ? You can go back and read what I wrote ?

It was not very good at all. ! I'm surprised no one yelled, I want my money back. The audience I was with was not impressed. The ending was typical.

Pure hype. This movie is not good and if you waste your time and money to go see it, don't say I didn't warn you.

I haven't seen it yet Tick, but I know about 15 people who all stated that it totally creeped them out and that it was easily in their top scary movies of all time list. In fact no one I know who has seen it did not like it.

But I have read reviews on IMDB.com, and there is a wide range of opinion, but right now with 4112 votes, it is running an 8.0 which is high...but 6.7% of voters gave it a 1.0 out of 10 which is high I would say. It just isn't some folks "cup o'tea" it seems...

I really liked the Blair Witch Project and Mara hated it. My wife fell asleep during BWP, and I was on the edge of my chair. Other movies I loved...The Exorcist, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, The Omen (1976), Rosemary's Baby, Stigmata, The Ninth Gate, The Haunting (1963)

Anyone else???

QUOTE (vital signz @ Oct 19 2009, 11:18 AM)

I haven't seen it yet Tick, but I know about 15 people who all stated that it totally creeped them out and that it was easily in their top scary movies of all time list. In fact no one I know who has seen it did not like it.

But I have read reviews on IMDB.com, and there is a wide range of opinion, but right now with 4112 votes, it is running an 8.0 which is high...but 6.7% of voters gave it a 1.0 out of 10 which is high I would say. It just isn't some folks "cup o'tea" it seems...

I really liked the Blair Witch Project and Mara hated it. My wife fell asleep during BWP, and I was on the edge of my chair. Other movies I loved...The Exorcist, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, The Omen (1976), Rosemary's Baby, Stigmata, The Ninth Gate, The Haunting (1963)

Anyone else???

I can't fathom anyone being freaked out by this movie unless there a kid. I was pumped to see this movie. I saw the first showing on the first day, and I'll tell you what, the whole theater of about 50 people walked out scratching there heads saying WTF ?

In fairness, its not horrible, but the plot in beyond shallow, and its an hour and a half of bad over acting and little more. By all mean see it ! Now I'm dying to hear the reactions of those who think my opinion is the one that's wrong. It isn't, and you will come back and say, damn tick, you were so right ! yes.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 19 2009, 11:58 AM)

Anyone else???

I can't fathom anyone being freaked out by this movie unless there a kid. I was pumped to see this movie. I saw the first showing on the first day, and I'll tell you what, the whole theater of about 50 people walked out scratching there heads saying WTF ?

In fairness, its not horrible, but the plot in beyond shallow, and its an hour and a half of bad over acting and little more. By all mean see it ! Now I'm dying to hear the reactions of those who think my opinion is the one that's wrong. It isn't, and you will come back and say, damn tick, you were so right ! yes.gif

Curious who else hated/liked Blair Witch Project?

QUOTE (vital signz @ Oct 19 2009, 12:13 PM)

Anyone else???

I sort of liked Blair Witch project at the time because it broke new ground. It was something different. Now that its already been done, this movie brings nothing new to the table. I have to hand it to the film makers, this piece of shit movie is going to make them alot of money.

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 19 2009, 11:49 AM)

Anyone else???

I sort of liked Blair Witch project at the time because it broke new ground. It was something different. Now that its already been done, this movie brings nothing new to the table. I have to hand it to the film makers, this piece of shit movie is going to make them alot of money.

Agreed. Although the BWP never scared me when I saw it, I thought it was genius from a financial perspective. It cost literally nothing to make and raked in millions! And all the big Hollywood Players wish they thought of it first. yes.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Oct 19 2009, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Oct 19 2009, 11:49 AM)

Anyone else???

Agreed. Although the BWP never scared me when I saw it, I thought it was genius from a financial perspective. It cost literally nothing to make and raked in millions! And all the big Hollywood Players wish they thought of it first. yes.gif

I saw Blair Witch in the theater, and the ending creeped me out. Im a huge horror fan and it takes a lot to freak me out, but in the theater, Blair Witch did it. With that being said, ive watched it again and it does nothing for me. Im thinking i probably wont be freaked out by this one much. Ive gotten into a lot of pretty hardcore stuff since BW, and the reality , ghost , paranormal type shit doesnt do it for me anymore. I think if you are hardcore with the horror genre, this movie wont do much for you. Mianstream audiences im sure are shitting themselves though.

Taken from a member on a DT board...

"OK, so I saw Paranormal Activity last night. Tick, you were exactly right.

**spoiler warning for those who care***

I went with low expectations, and the movie was different than I expected. But overall, it just wasn't good. It wasn't scary. I didn't jump or get spooked at all. The pattern for the movie was basically:

Guy and girl talk while he records them, they get in a fight, they go to sleep, *low bass rumble*, something "scary" happens. Rinse and repeat until girl kills guy.

The previews kind of ruined the movie for me too, because while watching the night scenes, I was waiting for what I saw in the previews, like the bed sheets being moved, and most importantly, the body flying at the camera (which was the ending of the movie, so that was pretty much ruined).

I'll give the creators some credit for how they made everything seem "realistic" with the camera work and lack of credits at the end. But everything else was too predictable. The bass rumbles before every scary thing were really silly. I ended up laughing at most of the parts that were supposed to be scary (the girl standing in place at night for hours, and especially when she was dragged out of the room)."

Just got back from a midnight screening.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. So predictable, cheap, wtf.gif

I'll elaborate more if you wish. I've never bothered watching a horror movie because I've always thought they seemed lame, and this one was. Very much.

Could anyone turn me onto a good horror movie? This film sucked.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Oct 23 2009, 03:34 AM)
Just got back from a midnight screening.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. So predictable, cheap, wtf.gif

I'll elaborate more if you wish. I've never bothered watching a horror movie because I've always thought they seemed lame, and this one was. Very much.

Could anyone turn me onto a good horror movie? This film sucked.

yes.gif goodpost.gif

See Drag Me To Hell. It just came out on DVD last week. You will enjoy it. yes.gif

Edited by tick

Just got back from seeing this movie, and...............

It is by a WIDE margin the WORST film I've seen in the past decade......

What a piece of shit film......and no.....the "reviews" are greatly exaggerating.......I did not find this film scary at all.........almost humorous at times...... It was so bad..

No spoilers, but the film will show you something then 5 minutes later will show you it happening agian, (just incase you missed it) the scares were mild at best, and expected, and the film got really repetative and closed with an expected ending that kind of left you wandering what the f**k..

The movie is terrible.......period.......save yourself 10 bucks and go and buy a copy of "The Excorist" if you want the true experience.

Just watched this over the weekend, thought it would be a decent rental, but really not worth seeing at the theater. I liked Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity the same way different and unique. I might be mistaken but looks like there's now going to be an Alien abduction movie coming out filmed in the same documentary (is it real?) style.

PA might of seemed more scary if it was not for the fact, the theater was filled with teenagers and adolescent girls giggling and screaming like a pack of hyenas.

Spoof on the movie. If you saw the movie, this is hysterical !!!! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 26 2009, 02:14 PM)
Spoof on the movie. If you saw the movie, this is hysterical !!!! rofl3.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCog307YA6M&feature=related

laugh.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 26 2009, 02:08 PM)
Here is an actual scene from the movie. See how great it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9DHxaulabk

Pulled by Paramount.

Shoot. I wanted to see.

Here's a question: If I really hated The Blair Witch Project with a passion, would I hate this flick as well?

I watched the posted video of this movie and it looks like more of the same. Maybe I'm not appreciating this type of film, but I feel like I'm watching my little brother's amateur attempt at making a movie with our first video camera. All the way through The Blair Witch Project I kept asking myself why I continued to watch it, and why I didn't come up with that lame idea myself. I could have made millions with a $2,000 video camera, some high school drama students and some sticks tied together. laugh.gif

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Oct 27 2009, 07:18 PM)
Here's a question: If I really hated The Blair Witch Project with a passion, would I hate this flick as well?

I watched the posted video of this movie and it looks like more of the same. Maybe I'm not appreciating this type of film, but I feel like I'm watching my little brother's amateur attempt at making a movie with our first video camera. All the way through The Blair Witch Project I kept asking myself why I continued to watch it, and why I didn't come up with that lame idea myself. I could have made millions with a $2,000 video camera, some high school drama students and some sticks tied together. laugh.gif

try imdb.com and read the numerous reviews of the film. There are mixed reviews, but most look good.