Real Bands That Are Now Cover Bands

tangy

This thread is for bands that either have no or very few original members yet still tour.

This is for bands that they are now cover bands of themselves? Bands that should of hung up a long time ago, yet hang on with substitute members.

A band that meets that description IMO is Lynyrd Skynyrd. Who else?

l.a. guns

guns & roses

ratt

kiss

whitesnake

megadeth

you get the idea................. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Aug 26 2009, 02:27 PM)
Is this a dig at Yes? laugh.gif

them also

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 26 2009, 02:40 PM)
l.a. guns
guns & roses
ratt
kiss
whitesnake
megadeth

I dont know if I'll have Megadeth in there..even though most members may have changed. Dave Mustaine is such a huge figure in the band, that its almost been his solo work.

GNR though may have Axl but Slash and others had pretty significant role and personalities as well..just my needless input.. cool.gif

QUOTE (tintedweed @ Aug 26 2009, 03:12 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 26 2009, 02:40 PM)
l.a. guns
guns & roses
ratt
kiss
whitesnake
megadeth

I dont know if I'll have Megadeth in there..even though most members may have changed. Dave Mustaine is such a huge figure in the band, that its almost been his solo work.

GNR though may have Axl but Slash and others had pretty significant role and personalities as well..just my needless input.. cool.gif

Megadeth has always had a high turnover rate for drummers and guitarists. When Mustaine booted ellefson i was disappointed.

Mustaine has always been the main man in MD bu they are down to one original member now.

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 26 2009, 03:15 PM)
This thread is for bands that either have no or very few original members yet still tour.

This is for bands that they are now cover bands of themselves? Bands that should of hung up a long time ago, yet hang on with substitute members.

Hey Lynyrd Skynyrd still kicks ass. 1022.gif

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Aug 26 2009, 05:48 PM)

They are one of my all time favorites. If memory serves me correctly i have seen them three times, all during the 90's.

They still put on a great show but its basically a version of "one more from the road" each time. The last years have been rough on skynyrd, with billy powell and leon wilkenson passing.

I was reading today, they are putting out a new disc, which to me tarnishes the pre-crash skynyrd name/legacy. Anyways i was surprised to read that John 5 is a guest guitarist on the new disc.

Some members of groups are more expendable than others. My guess is the singer is the least replaceable.

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 26 2009, 07:03 PM)

They are one of my all time favorites. If memory serves me correctly i have seen them three times, all during the 90's.

They still put on a great show but its basically a version of "one more from the road" each time. The last years have been rough on skynyrd, with billy powell and leon wilkenson passing.

I was reading today, they are putting out a new disc, which to me tarnishes the pre-crash skynyrd name/legacy. Anyways i was surprised to read that John 5 is a guest guitarist on the new disc.

Some members of groups are more expendable than others. My guess is the singer is the least replaceable.

You should check out their new song still unbroken. It's really good even though it sounds nothing like the orginal skynyrd.

One that pisses me off is Boston.

Youd think after the way Delp passed on that Scholtz would just leave it alone. Its a slap in the mans face to keep touring.

Reluctant to say King Crimson... as Robert Fripp has been the only Anchor for the band..

But I would not go as far saying that they are their own Cover Band... that would be the 21st Century Schizoid Band.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Aug 26 2009, 07:22 PM)
One that pisses me off is Boston.

Youd think after the way Delp passed on that Scholtz would just leave it alone. Its a slap in the mans face to keep touring.

I felt the same way about Boston. Especially since Delp's voice was so recognizable. I saw them last summer and I was really surprised at how well Michael Sweet and Tommy DeCarlo (another YouTube find) did on the vocals. It was a really good show, it was the classic Boston sound but it still left me a little uneasy. Still not really Boston, when you have a singer like Delp, he really can't be replaced. But then again, Boston always was Scholtz's baby.

Thin Lizzy needs to hang it up!!!! especially now that Sykes left.

Fog Hat is touring with just the original drummer, cmon guys.

and I'm on the fence about The Who. They aren't the old Who we all know and love. But Roger and Pete have made The Who into an entirely different band and that works for them so I can't really argue with that.

Isn't Creedence Clearwater Revival in this category?

Kiss....only half of the original lineup.

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Aug 26 2009, 04:48 PM)

That they do, I saw them this summer and they put on one hell of a show.

They showed everybody they still got the chops.

1022.gif

A band that meets that description IMO is Lynyrd Skynyrd.

But they still qualify as a self titled tribute band

They never said they didn't "Kick Ass ! " ( Out of 1000 rock concerts, I have never seen LS )

And never cared to see the replacements enough to make an effort to go.

Many "retro" groups, still Rock !

Many " STT " groups, still Rock ! ( Self Titled Tribute )

I have seen a bunch of these, most are OK.

Some favorites

Styx

REO

Journey ( 4 yrs ago was a show like Rush's, 3+ hours 2 sets, ALL Journey )

Some SUCK

Boston

Foreigner

Some that never change

Peter Frampton

Pat Benatar

Scorpions

AC/DC

For me to "go" to these shows they should be atleast 50% original (or long time replacement, like Neil P.).

Going to see 3 Retro groups tomorrow

Cheap Trick - 100%

Poison - 100%

Def Leppard - 100%

Would never "go" see Poison, but they are part of this Saturday Nights Show.

But I will get to add them to my long long list of groups seen in my Rock-n-Roll lifetime

QUOTE (GotRush @ Aug 28 2009, 01:17 PM)

A band that meets that description IMO is Lynyrd Skynyrd.

But they still qualify as a self titled tribute band

They never said they didn't "Kick Ass ! " ( Out of 1000 rock concerts, I have never seen LS )

And never cared to see the replacements enough to make an effort to go.

Many "retro" groups, still Rock !

Many " STT " groups, still Rock ! ( Self Titled Tribute )

I have seen a bunch of these, most are OK.

Some favorites

Styx

REO

Journey ( 4 yrs ago was a show like Rush's, 3+ hours 2 sets, ALL Journey )

Some SUCK

Boston

Foreigner

Some that never change

Peter Frampton

Pat Benatar

Scorpions

AC/DC

For me to "go" to these shows they should be atleast 50% original (or long time replacement, like Neil P.).

Going to see 3 Retro groups tomorrow

Cheap Trick - 100%

Poison - 100%

Def Leppard - 100%

Would never "go" see Poison, but they are part of this Saturday Nights Show.

But I will get to add them to my long long list of groups seen in my Rock-n-Roll lifetime

up unitl fairly recently there were enough original/longtime members in skynyrd that they would ot have qualified for this designation.

of course they should of hung it up when ronnie died but it was only ronnie and steve gaines that died in the wreck and steve had just joined the group.

they are now down to one original member although Rickey Medlocke played in early skynyrd so he probably does count too.

artimus pyle lives nearby and used to play locally.

anyone else every listen to the rossington collins band?

don't misunderstand me

probably the best post crash material written by any of the remaining

members.

Archived