Favorite sequels

Tom Sawyer

The Godfather sequels are probably without peer when it comes to sequels per se.

The onriginal Star Wars sequels. (I refuse to see the prequels.) I enjoy James Bond movies, but those aren't really sequels. I liked the third Austin Powers movie better than the second. Sequels are usually bad, no doubt about it. I always want to see a sequel to a good movie, but seem to be disappointed too often.

Most definetely The Empire Strikes back. The Godfather II was a good example too, but for me it didn't really stand up to the original, just personal preference smile.gif Seeing the Death Star blow up for the first time in A New Hope was mind boggling... but Empire Strikes back was definetely a fun sequel.

Empire Strikes Back and RETURN Of the Jedi don't count. they're not sequels, they are part of an intergrated story line. there was always meant to be three. a true sequel is produce after the first one is a sucess, and not before. a sequel is an afterthought given form.

QUOTE (furie @ Mar 13 2005, 06:22 PM)
Empire Strikes Back and RETURN Of the Jedi don't count. they're not sequels, they are part of an intergrated story line. there was always meant to be three. a true sequel is produce after the first one is a sucess, and not before. a sequel is an afterthought given form.

Yeah, but in all movies that have sequels, there's usually room LEFT for a sequel at the end of the movie... there isn't a clean, compact ending at the end of the first movie or else the sequel won't work anyway.

And who's to say that there WOULD have been 3 Star Wars movies? What if A New Hope had premiered in the theatre, been a total box office bomb and Lucas decided to abandon the project because it wasn't financially smart to continue with additions to the series? In my opinion, any movie that adds to the storyline and comes after another movie is a sequel, and the Star Wars movies are no exception.

sure they leave the possibility open for a sequel, everyone wants to a franchise. the difference with SW is that before ANH had hit the theaters, Lucas has begun to write ESB, and he had an inkling as to how RTJ would go. Sequels aren't as seamlessly integrated into the storyline like episodes 5 & 6. which makes them more than sequels.

QUOTE (furie @ Mar 13 2005, 06:33 PM)
sure they leave the possibility open for a sequel, everyone wants to a franchise. the difference with SW is that before ANH had hit the theaters, Lucas has begun to write ESB, and he had an inkling as to how RTJ would go. Sequels aren't as seamlessly integrated into the storyline like episodes 5 & 6. which makes them more than sequels.

Point taken.... if we're going by that logic then, I guess my favorite sequel would be Psycho II...

Edit: Actually no way, Austin Powers 2 was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Totally blew International Man of Mystery out of the water.

Edited by Let The Fray Begin