Model's Memoir

iluvgeddy05

This is a report from over at Turn the Page that I thought would be good to post here:

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 6 2009, 09:56 AM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Aug 6 2009, 09:21 AM)
I'm itching to read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hungry-Crystal-Renn/...49568209&sr=8-7

Hungry: A young model's story of appetite, ambition and the ultimate embrace of curves/ Crystal Renn

It's a memoir of a former size 00 model who learned to love her body and take on it's natural size 12 shape.  I first saw this model in my Glamour magazine in a spread and noticed she had curves, as opposed to being a bag of bones.  The magazine got so much praise from readers for featuring this model in the spread -- and a bathing suit spread no less! 

Not available in libraries right now, might have to purchase it if I get too impatient.

Here's hoping that her book will start a revolution against that awful anorexic look that's so unfortunately popular nowadays.

Wouldn't that be great! yes.gif

I just did a quick google image on her. This is her at her lowest weight:

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/iluvgeddy/crystal_skinny.jpg

Crystal now, in Glamour magazine just a couple months ago:

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/iluvgeddy/crystalrenn.jpg new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll let people know if I get my hands on the book..might be a while if I'm too cheap to buy the book myself (as a librarian, I want to use my library!) Not sure if my library ILL's through the Library of Congress doh.gif

In any event, I hope we start seeing models like this more often. She's a true representation of the average woman. I'm not saying get rid of skinny (but healthy) models because, let's face it, women come in all shapes and sizes and some are naturally skinny, or tall, or short, squat, pear shaped, apple, whatever.

Let's celebrate body diversity! cosmo.gif

I bought a bikini like this one yesterday and I actually think it looks flattering on me. It's not one of those skimpy ones (no offense to those who can pull it off) but Im not fooling anyone. The twins need adequate support and no amount of money will get me flopping around while trying to do the breast stroke... they are staying put! yes.gif It's very 60's style which I absolutely love.

I hope she promotes that book as much as she can and it gets thru to all the teens and twenty-somethings who starve themselves to look good.

My daughter has tried doing the not eating thing because she is a size 3! I actually had a girl who worked at Hollister tell her she was tiny at a 3 so she wouldn't think it was just Mom trying to get her to eat.

The girl at Hollister said their clothes are made at a starting size for a 12 year-old. She told us she didn't even shop there because of their crazy sizing and being a size 2 in real life would put her at a size 9 in Hollister clothes.

This skeletal body image thing has to change. rantoff.gif

A lot of women I know have low self-esteem when it comes to body image. And go figure? In the fashion magazines women can't be thin enough coupled with this constant bombardment that men like women with curves. We have to stop these schizophrenic messages! And that sounds like what this former model wants to do. I wish women (or more importantly, young girls) could filter out all these messages and listen to their own heads. The goal should be to simply feel comfortable in your own skin. Once you have that, there's a level of confidence that helps you ignore all those crazy images that get forced down our throats every day.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Aug 6 2009, 01:41 PM)
This is a report from over at Turn the Page that I thought would be good to post here:

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 6 2009, 09:56 AM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Aug 6 2009, 09:21 AM)
I'm itching to read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hungry-Crystal-Renn/...49568209&sr=8-7

Hungry: A young model's story of appetite, ambition and the ultimate embrace of curves/ Crystal Renn

It's a memoir of a former size 00 model who learned to love her body and take on it's natural size 12 shape.  I first saw this model in my Glamour magazine in a spread and noticed she had curves, as opposed to being a bag of bones.  The magazine got so much praise from readers for featuring this model in the spread -- and a bathing suit spread no less! 

Not available in libraries right now, might have to purchase it if I get too impatient.

Here's hoping that her book will start a revolution against that awful anorexic look that's so unfortunately popular nowadays.

Wouldn't that be great! yes.gif

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/iluvgeddy/crystalrenn.jpg new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

She looks great now - like Jane Russell, who was the "It" girl back in the 40's. Or Rita Hayworth. yes.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Aug 6 2009, 12:41 PM)

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/iluvgeddy/crystalrenn.jpg

Her head looks disproportionately large in that first pic - which is usually what happens.

I much prefer the pin-up girl shape she has now.

If you read the book, please report on it. Sounds interesting.

QUOTE (TheBlonde @ Aug 17 2009, 03:23 PM)

Her head looks disproportionately large in that first pic - which is usually what happens.

I much prefer the pin-up girl shape she has now.

If you read the book, please report on it. Sounds interesting.

Some of you might know I suffered from bulimia for about 15 years. (I don't mind talking about it; if something I share can help somebody else, then it's all good).

What The Blonde said happened to me too. I look at the pictures of me back when I was at my lowest weight, around 89 lbs. It's all giant head and twiggy-looking limbs. Yuck.

Book is out September 8. So I'll be waiting yes.gif

Mara, I had my bouts with anorexia back in high school...and heck, it sometimes returns in bouts even today. But I'm not as sick as I was...in any event, my body image and consciouness is warped to say the least but seeing positive role models like Renn make a true difference in my life.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Aug 17 2009, 04:10 PM)
Book is out September 8. So I'll be waiting yes.gif

Mara, I had my bouts with anorexia back in high school...and heck, it sometimes returns in bouts even today. But I'm not as sick as I was...in any event, my body image and consciouness is warped to say the least but seeing positive role models like Renn make a true difference in my life.

Stressing about food is something I am so over. The main thing I deal with now - and I can certainly live with it - is that I am somewhat obsessive about keeping up with my workout routine. But even that isn't as bad as it used to be. Now I will actually take time off if I am sick, whereas in years past I'd continue to go full tilt while suffering from flu or whatever.

I love seeing pictures like this. I used to go through Cosmo, Glamour, etc. and tear out a lot of the model pictures and trash them, because looking at them made me feel so inadequate. And here's the funny thing - I was NEVER overweight.

Well, as a bloke I can tell you that she is far more appealing in the second picture. Women are supposed to have curves, not look like malnourished boys.....

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 22 2009, 08:25 AM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Aug 22 2009, 11:15 AM)
Well, as a bloke I can tell you that she is far more appealing in the second picture. Women are supposed to have curves, not look like malnourished boys.....

yes.gif

+1

Seen on cnn.com - "Women are raving over Glamour's photo of size 12 model!" The tagline is: "Plus-size Model Madness."

It is a SAD state of affairs when a woman who wears size 12 is considered "plus-sized."

I usually wear 10's myself but an occasional 12, so I guess I'm plus-sized?

Craziness.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 25 2009, 11:41 AM)
Seen on cnn.com - "Women are raving over Glamour's photo of size 12 model!" The tagline is: "Plus-size Model Madness."

It is a SAD state of affairs when a woman who wears size 12 is considered "plus-sized."

Craziness.

Yes, women may be "raving", but I'm sure we will continue to see plenty of clothing lines selling the ever-yearned-for "Size 0". sarcasm.gif

I doubt the teen girls are the ones raving over a size 12 model. They're the ones most willing to risk their health to be thin, thin, thin.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 25 2009, 10:55 AM)
Seen on cnn.com - "Women are raving over Glamour's photo of size 12 model!"  The tagline is: "Plus-size Model Madness."

Craziness.

Yes, women may be "raving", but I'm sure we will continue to see plenty of clothing lines selling the ever-yearned-for "Size 0". sarcasm.gif

I doubt the teen girls are the ones raving over a size 12 model. They're the ones most willing to risk their health to be thin, thin, thin.

You're exactly right.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 25 2009, 10:41 AM)

Craziness.

You're not plus, you're average among most American women, and you're beautiful!

In the high fashion world, sadly, an 8 is plus wacko.gif In the real world...hell, why have "plus" or "skinny" as labels at all? Why can't women just be whatever?

That photo and all the buzz can be found here:

http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/blog...e-you-cant.html

The big deal is her tummy isn't ironing-board flat and she's very relaxed and confident in the picture. I for one liked seeing it not because she was "plus" (hardly!) but because it wasn't airbrushed and looked very natural. I could relate for once and wasn't comparing myself with another girl in a photo.

We all come in different shapes and sizes no matter what size. I can wear a 4 comfortably but I still have the belly overhang like Lizzie Miller does. My closet has sizes 0 - 8 in it all because deisigners cut differently, so size means squat in terms of labeling someone "plus" or not. I call bullsh*t!

Again, body diversity wub.gif We are all real women with real bodies, size 0 to 30 and beyond yes.gif

Thanks hon...you're sweet.

And the rest of your post is SPOT ON. Excellent job.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 25 2009, 10:55 AM)
Seen on cnn.com - "Women are raving over Glamour's photo of size 12 model!"  The tagline is: "Plus-size Model Madness."

Craziness.

Mara, Yes, agreed, but I will say the comments comming in on the Glamour board in regards to the photo are positive (for the most part, minus a few trolls). No idea their ages or identities, but it could be a mixed bag.

Will fashion change their size and body standards? Probably not. But I hope to see a few more "Lizzies" out there in the near future.

i am a model, alternative model! iv got myself down about...not me weight, but my body shape...i have had 3 children so i have a mummy tummy. i have a body like renaissance, pre-rafaelite paintings. it just seems to me that it is all about what is in fashion at the time...but a good model will be able to deliver creatively what the designers/photographers want. its not just about looking attractive. but i think there will be a lot of girls who will get turned down for work because they are not perfect, but they would probably produce amazing pictures...which is a shame. as for weight, being healthy is the most important thing. some people are healthy being like a stick...others are healthy with some weight. tis all in the eye of the beholder. and anyway...everything in magazines is edited. im qualified in photo manipulation and i know that the photos in mags are not the same as when they are taken!!! xxx

QUOTE (brandi @ Aug 31 2009, 08:41 PM)
i am a model, alternative model! iv got myself down about...not me weight, but my body shape...i have had 3 children so i have a mummy tummy. i have a body like renaissance, pre-rafaelite paintings. it just seems to me that it is all about what is in fashion at the time...but a good model will be able to deliver creatively what the designers/photographers want. its not just about looking attractive. but i think there will be a lot of girls who will get turned down for work because they are not perfect, but they would probably produce amazing pictures...which is a shame. as for weight, being healthy is the most important thing. some people are healthy being like a stick...others are healthy with some weight. tis all in the eye of the beholder. and anyway...everything in magazines is edited. im qualified in photo manipulation and i know that the photos in mags are not the same as when they are taken!!! xxx

Good for you and welcome to the forum!

I also think it's refreshing to see representations of real people wearing real clothes, instead of animated coat hangers draped in bits of cloth. You have a good point about "in fashion at the time"; hopefully we are finally getting away from the stick insect look.

Is your avatar "you"?

Edited by Mara

The model in the 2nd pic looks so much healthier! The "real" woman amongst us looks great.

I just know peeps will look at the pic and go how could she pose like that?

I will admit that I still have a body image problem at a size 1. I grew up in California where it was all the rage to be pin thin. It's hard to move behind that picture in my head and accept myself for what I look like now. sad.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Sep 1 2009, 10:32 AM)

The model in the 2nd pic looks so much healthier! The "real" woman amongst us looks great.

I just know peeps will look at the pic and go how could she pose like that?

I will admit that I still have a body image problem at a size 1. I grew up in California where it was all the rage to be pin thin. It's hard to move behind that picture in my head and accept myself for what I look like now. sad.gif

I think a lot of women do unfortunately.

A woman on one of my health blogs spoke about her eating disorders and how her mind freaks out if she's anything but a 00 size sad.gif Even though she was a 4 or something.

It's even harder to be surrounded by women who are constantly criticizing their own bodies and are on a constant quest to lose weight, be thin, etc etc. 90% of the women in my office, all they talk about it what they want to change. My boss just came back from maternity leave and her husband sent her chocolate covered fruit for her first day back. Her comments were how she didn't need it and has to lose baby weight wacko.gif