Best Rush Coverer(?) On Youtube?

Zanadoo

that guy who plays digital man and neil for that matter during the verses he is playing with the back beat with his left hand when all he has to do is start the groove with your left hand and the right hand can play the snare instead of having to reach in. it's to fast to play 16th notes with one hand at that tempo. just a suggestion. it just looks odd and you have to open up your arms to play the back beat.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 3 2009, 02:23 AM)
I'm not a drummer, but I love watching Pauliewanna:

I learned to play the Rush tunes I play by watching Paul.

He has another account already setup incase Pauliewanna gets shut down by by WMG... Its Pauliedontwanna.

I like our TRF Musicians. I know its not a band that plays live but I really think we have some of the best musicians anywhere. And they are all right here on TRF... If you haven't got the chance to listen to our songs go over to TRF Musicians page or go to OURSTAGE.COM. Excellant musicians...Great Rush music... lot of fun

Yes, me and others have lost many of our Rush covers on YouTube, I had 50 and ended up with 16 left... I think Martin has completely stopped making them now. I was able recently to add two new ones but I have no idea how long they will stay posted. We'll see. All of my videos are on my web site but what UMG/WMG did in contesting the copyrights for thousands of videos on YT is very silly. I guess they want some big bucks from Google, the owners of Youtube... Oh well.

L. Wince: Thanks for the nice words! biggrin.gif

Hey Astro! Just saw your redo of Far Cry. Excellent job!

These record companies all know that they are living on borrowed time and in within ten years the will collapse under their own weight unless they cease their strong arming tactics while screwing their artists at the same time.

The only thing they are and have been doing is increasing music piracy, and driving it further underground. If their actions weren;t so sad and pathetic, they would be funny.

I am just glad that Paul, Astro, Ray, Mike (snowdoguk) and their ilk continue to fight the good fight on Youtube. It shouldn't be like that, though....

Oh easily the Jacob Moon cover of Subdivisions. I just cant stand watching lame groups try to actually sound like Rush. The vocals are almost always awful and the music is sometimes decent, but never quite as good.

Jacob actually tried to do something different, and has a great voice so to me thts the best ive ever seen. So good that Geddy emailed him about it. Ill bet the boys cant stand watching crap bands cover their songs, but they enjoyed that one because it was different and modern.

QUOTE (Rendclaw @ Aug 5 2009, 02:12 AM)
Hey Astro! Just saw your redo of Far Cry. Excellent job!

These record companies all know that they are living on borrowed time and in within ten years the will collapse under their own weight unless they cease their strong arming tactics while screwing their artists at the same time.

The only thing they are and have been doing is increasing music piracy, and driving it further underground. If their actions weren;t so sad and pathetic, they would be funny.

I am just glad that Paul, Astro, Ray, Mike (snowdoguk) and their ilk continue to fight the good fight on Youtube. It shouldn't be like that, though....

I think, as one poster put it, the play along "covers" get pulled because they have the actual Rush track in the audio. Technically the record company's have every right to do that. It's an illegal broadcasting of the artist's work with no compenstation. If they were true covers they probably wouldn't get pulled.

QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 5 2009, 10:35 AM)
Oh easily the Jacob Moon cover of Subdivisions. I just cant stand watching lame groups try to actually sound like Rush. The vocals are almost always awful and the music is sometimes decent, but never quite as good.

Jacob actually tried to do something different, and has a great voice so to me thts the best ive ever seen. So good that Geddy emailed him about it. Ill bet the boys cant stand watching crap bands cover their songs, but they enjoyed that one because it was different and modern.

totally agreed

love seeing modern twists on the old songs.

and that's pretty amazing that ged emailed him about it

i hope he does some more rush soon.

I know it's a long shot, but would Geddy, Alex, and Neil have ANY say on this sort of thing? I'm sure there's all sorts of legal twists and turns.

Reason I ask is because a number of fans of electronic artist Jean Michel Jarre were having the same problem - their videos were getting pulled. Jarre got directly involved, saying that the fans are the "good guys" and he loves the creative ways they are using his music. (There's a video on YT from JMJ himself). All he asks is that people "be fair" and credit the music appropriately. Credit is certainly not a problem where Rush are concerned - I haven't seen any videos where someone has tried to claim credit for, say, "Red Barchetta"!

I am not familiar with the nuances of record contracts, except that they are set up to benefit the company and screw the musician as much as possible. And whether or not the members of Rush would even WANT to get involved. . .though it would be a nice thing to make some sort of statement.

Sorry to go all rambly here. . .

Edit: Has anyone tried posting videos on photobucket instead of ScrewTube, or are they being policed the same way?

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Aug 5 2009, 10:54 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 5 2009, 10:35 AM)

totally agreed

love seeing modern twists on the old songs.

and that's pretty amazing that ged emailed him about it

i hope he does some more rush soon.

Yep. I didnt mean to say lame bands, the bands covering the songs may be fine, but it rarely sounds good playing a band with such a distinctive sound.

That's why I love what Jacob Moon did. If he tried to sound like Rush im pretty sure it would have sucked. But he worked within his capabilities, and turns out its better than ever rush cover ive ever seen. And apparently Geddy agrees which is sweet.

QUOTE (AstroTama @ Aug 5 2009, 06:30 AM)
Yes, me and others have lost many of our Rush covers on YouTube, I had 50 and ended up with 16 left... I think Martin has completely stopped making them now. I was able recently to add two new ones but I have no idea how long they will stay posted. We'll see. All of my videos are on my web site but what UMG/WMG did in contesting the copyrights for thousands of videos on YT is very silly. I guess they want some big bucks from Google, the owners of Youtube... Oh well.

L. Wince: Thanks for the nice words! biggrin.gif

Martin was making new ones, up untill a few weeks ago. He is going on a world tour for a year, which is why he isn't adding newly recorded ones anymore.

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Aug 5 2009, 05:24 PM)
QUOTE (AstroTama @ Aug 5 2009, 06:30 AM)
Yes, me and others have lost many of our Rush covers on YouTube, I had 50 and ended up with 16 left... I think Martin has completely stopped making them now.  I was able recently to add two new ones but I have no idea how long they will stay posted. We'll see. All of my videos are on my web site but what UMG/WMG did in contesting the copyrights for thousands of videos on YT is very silly. I guess they want some big bucks from Google, the owners of Youtube... Oh well.

L. Wince: Thanks for the nice words!  biggrin.gif

Martin was making new ones, up untill a few weeks ago. He is going on a world tour for a year, which is why he isn't adding newly recorded ones anymore.

World tour? As in vacation or he's got paying gigs? Martin could do it, as could Paulie and AstroTama. All have the chops to make it at LEAST as session musicians.

My favorite Rush coverer on Youtube is the drummer Astrotama. He is incredibly talented and has a huge variety of Rush songs on his channel. You think of a hard part in a Rush song, he nails it. He's amazing. Check it out. http://www.youtube.com/user/Astrotama

QUOTE (TheAnalogKid2112 @ Aug 6 2009, 05:35 AM)
My favorite Rush coverer on Youtube is the drummer Astrotama. He is incredibly talented and has a huge variety of Rush songs on his channel. You think of a hard part in a Rush song, he nails it. He's amazing. Check it out. http://www.youtube.com/user/Astrotama

Wow.....he is good.

Says he made several mistakes, and I coudn't find one. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 6 2009, 01:52 AM)

Wow.....he is good.

Exactly. He's way too modest. He kicks major ass. Watch his La Villa Strangiato and Natural Science videos. Nails all of the fills.

QUOTE (TheAnalogKid2112 @ Aug 6 2009, 06:39 AM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 6 2009, 01:52 AM)

Wow.....he is good.

Exactly. He's way too modest. He kicks major ass. Watch his La Villa Strangiato and Natural Science videos. Nails all of the fills.

Wonder how long before the Gestapos at Atlantic start threatening him.... eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif

Not long, unfortunately.

There is this little-known concept called "Fair Use" , that is supposed to protect you from this kind of thing as long as you aren't selling the music yourself or distributing it illegally. The problem is that the major record companies all have armies of lawyers and are bullying the common man, who doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of fighting back from a legal standpoint and winning. Until that happens and the decision holds up in the higher courts, this kind of thing is going to continue.

Thank you all for the nice words! I'm glad people appreciate these videos. They take a lot of efforts for me but if they help people to understand a bit better Neil's genius, it's worth it. smile.gif

No, I don't think I'm too modest. The real genius here is the guy who invented these songs in the first place. I'm just an amateur drummer who has been playing for a long time and is trying his best to duplicate these songs well. I started playing years before I've heard of Rush and it's been a passion since I was a kid, but it's really when I started to study Neil's magic playing that my playing skills went into a higher gear. Some people ask me why I spend so much time learning these songs as correctly as possible. To me, it's a sign of respect for Neil. We all know how much thinking he puts into these songs, how much each note means something, etc. Just read his article on the S&A songs in Modern Drummer to see how much he thinks about his drumming parts for these songs. So the least I can do is to try to understand what he did and eventually try to play them correctly. It does not make me a great drummer. A better drummer, yes, for sure, but I'm still an amateur and I will not compare myself to any great pro drummers I admire. Yes, I've written original songs in the past, etc. And, no, it was not as good as Neil's stuff. wink.gif

I'm an astrophysicist by profession and I became the director of an observatory in Tucson last year so going on a drumming world tour right now is not an option.... But that would be fun!!

And, no, the Atlantic Gestapo has not appeared yet although I saw that black car following me lately.... wink.gif

Warning: Really bad pun below.........

Well AstroTama, I don't know what sort of an astronomer you are, but your playing is out of this world! biggrin.gif

eyesre4.gif

BAD RUSH COCKY! comp26.gif angry.gif

But the voices in my head told me to do it!!! ohmy.gif

(slowly cowers away......)

ASTROTAMA... GREAT job on the tunes. loved the big money tune. very well done. when i first started playing drums or got into rush i played that stuff not for note. didn't have all the drums or cow bells but had enough. why set your kit up just like neil? hey if it works for you all is good. i guess i did the same thing until i developed my own voice. once again great job. natural science was fun to watch also. oh yeah you forgot to turn off the snare on the guitar solo section on big money.

so what do you think about string theory? and how about the M theory. interesting on how there are infinite universes's and when one universe comes in contact with another it creates one and so forth. they might not have the same laws as our universe. cool stuff. those theory's are pretty safe huh. hard to conduct an experiment to prove them. the math seems to be there once they add the 11th dimension.

QUOTE (AstroTama @ Aug 6 2009, 09:08 AM)
Thank you all for the nice words! I'm glad people appreciate these videos. They take a lot of efforts for me but if they help people to understand a bit better Neil's genius, it's worth it. smile.gif

No, I don't think I'm too modest. The real genius here is the guy who invented these songs in the first place. I'm just an amateur drummer who has been playing for a long time and is trying his best to duplicate these songs well. I started playing years before I've heard of Rush and it's been a passion since I was a kid, but it's really when I started to study Neil's magic playing that my playing skills went into a higher gear. Some people ask me why I spend so much time learning these songs as correctly as possible. To me, it's a sign of respect for Neil. We all know how much thinking he puts into these songs, how much each note means something, etc. Just read his article on the S&A songs in Modern Drummer to see how much he thinks about his drumming parts for these songs. So the least I can do is to try to understand what he did and eventually try to play them correctly. It does not make me a great drummer. A better drummer, yes, for sure, but I'm still an amateur and I will not compare myself to any great pro drummers I admire. Yes, I've written original songs in the past, etc. And, no, it was not as good as Neil's stuff. wink.gif

I'm an astrophysicist by profession and I became the director of an observatory in Tucson last year so going on a drumming world tour right now is not an option....  But that would be fun!!

And, no, the Atlantic Gestapo has not appeared yet although I saw that black car following me lately.... wink.gif

Hey, nice to see you're on the forums biggrin.gif

I wanted to personally thank you for the list of prog bands on your website. I just discovered it a few days ago and have found some new favorites now!

If copyright does strike AstroTama, I'm just letting people know that he has his videos on his website as well. Not gonna post it because I'm not an adbot..

Well yeah, great drumming dude! smile.gif

Archived