irritating commercials

circumstantial tree

Oh and I thought of another one.

Anything Dyson.

Me and the hubby were at Bed Bath and Beyond the other day and they had one of those new Dyson "fans" on display. It worked just as good as my regular $13 fan. The only difference is that it's $300.

Then I saw a commercial for the Dyson vacuum and that guy was talking about what a superior product he had invented. It was then that I decided he sounds like a pompous prick and I would never own one of his vacuums unless it was so I could suck up his balls in it.

QUOTE (afurrything @ Aug 12 2010, 03:42 AM)
Oh and I thought of another one.
Anything Dyson.
Me and the hubby were at Bed Bath and Beyond the other day and they had one of those new Dyson "fans" on display. It worked just as good as my regular $13 fan. The only difference is that it's $300.
Then I saw a commercial for the Dyson vacuum and that guy was talking about what a superior product he had invented. It was then that I decided he sounds like a pompous prick and I would never own one of his vacuums unless it was so I could suck up his balls in it.

I paid less than $300 to have an attic fan installed. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Aug 12 2010, 02:55 AM)
QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Aug 11 2010, 09:39 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Aug 11 2010, 11:25 PM)
The sad thing is, the artist really has very little say in the matter. If the advertisers want that song, they will get it, either by licensing it from the rights holder (which is usually a publishing company, not the artist who wrote the song), or they'll chop it up and edit it enough that they think they won't get sued for using it without permission (and sometimes they're wrong). So it isn't always fair to blame the artist for "selling out" when their song gets hijacked to sell crap.

after I posted my hatred for hijacking songs that have much sentimental value, maybe after a period of time they become "public domain" in that they are anyone's to abuse at any time?

And no pedro I don't want you to sing it for me, I thought a YouTube clip or to just tell where and when 2.gif was raped by the advertising world would be enough

It was either a Nissan or Toyota Commercial and they used tom sawyer, I believe.

Well, then it was an advertising failure, if it didn't make enough of an impression for a TV-watching Rush fan to remember it.

Kinda glad. Would hate to see them get popular as ad music.

ANY INFOMERCIAL that tries to sell me on their product in order to lose weight! angry.gif

Do I think I need to lose weight? Sure I do. But I resent your presumptuousness in assuming that your product is going to get me there! Examples:

"Of the customers that tried MegaSuperSlim, they all lost X pounds!"

(what is not said: if you don't buy our product for the rest of your life, you have no hope of maintaining the loss)

"Work out with the AboYaboDabo Body Sculpting Machine, and in just 5 minutes a day 2 times a week, you can look like this" (cue picture of gorgeous looking model working out on said machine, even though, as of the filming of the infomercial, it's the first time they've used the AYDBSM in their entire life)

(what is not said: since you didn't have the discipline to work out before, we know that our gimmicky product won't really change that bad habit, and we'll all laugh as you attempt in vain to sell it back on eBay 6 months later)

And what's worse? The stations that air this COULD BE showing some awesome movie that I would love more and probably would stop and watch. Infomercials SUCK. angry.gif

Edited by Rush Cocky

Anyone hear that Coke commercial with the kid that plays the bottles for his mom? What a pile of crap! The kid just tests them and mom says "That's great" - that's the problem with youth today! Kids do anything, no matter the size or quality and mommy HAS to say "good job". That's why nearly half the football team I coach (10 yr olds) cried the first week of practice. To their credit, they didn't quit, but come on!!

I have heard ads locally for "Mr. Rooter" -- maybe they are national, so you've heard them too. Anyway, in their latest campaign, they boldly assert that "If we can't unclog your drain, you don't pay!!!" Well, I should hope not. Because I'll be damned if I pay a plumber for unclogging my drain when he failed to actually do it. But then it got me thinking -- are there plumbers who insist on charging a service call fee even when they can't get the work done? Maybe there are. I don't know -- my plumber gets the job done every time, so I've never faced this situation.

QUOTE (Audient @ Aug 24 2010, 12:36 PM)
I have heard ads locally for "Mr. Rooter" -- maybe they are national, so you've heard them too. Anyway, in their latest campaign, they boldly assert that "If we can't unclog your drain, you don't pay!!!" Well, I should hope not. Because I'll be damned if I pay a plumber for unclogging my drain when he failed to actually do it. But then it got me thinking -- are there plumbers who insist on charging a service call fee even when they can't get the work done? Maybe there are. I don't know -- my plumber gets the job done every time, so I've never faced this situation.

laugh.gif

Hey! You just made Prime Mover, congrats. trink39.gif

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Aug 9 2010, 04:35 PM)
Any commercial that's volume is 4 times higher than the show you were watching banghead.gif

I produce commercials for a living...and, yes, we do tinker with the dynamics processing to give them a more "full" sound. But we don't actually jack up the volume above normal...there's just more there to hear. That's probably the best way to put it.

Any ad that touts a dead person..especially a dead person that was in the spotlight for MANY years, been dead for about a decade and they say he or she SWEARS by their crap. Ed McMahon HEYYYYYY-ohh for some powerchair I always see in my email and HUGH DOWNS again for some effing tooth whitening system that DOESN'T make your teeth sensitive and doesn't whatever...and endorsed by HUGH DOWNS and NASA ok the NASA part i Made up but come on already let the poor dead bastard be day-ed already!!

And of all things the toothy thing's name sounds like Ebola!! WHAT?????

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Aug 30 2010, 05:31 PM)
Any ad that touts a dead person..especially a dead person that was in the spotlight for MANY years, been dead for about a decade and they say he or she SWEARS by their crap. Ed McMahon HEYYYYYY-ohh for some powerchair I always see in my email and HUGH DOWNS again for some effing tooth whitening system that DOESN'T make your teeth sensitive and doesn't whatever...and endorsed by HUGH DOWNS and NASA ok the NASA part i Made up but come on already let the poor dead bastard be day-ed already!!

And of all things the toothy thing's name sounds like Ebola!!  WHAT?????

And why are we still seeing Billy Mays? There's a new ad with the Brit guy and this ghostly image of Billy over his shoulder from an old OxyClean ad. I wouldn't think the advertisers would want to associate themselves with a guy who coked himself up and blew his heart out.

Other commercial idiocy:

ads with on-cam unknown spokespersons who say "Hi, I'm so and so" as if we're automatically supposed to know who they are.

The old ad (last 3-4 years) for the product Nasalcrom. First off, what a horrible product name. But in the ad, the spokesperson says "Nasalcrom... that's right...Nasal. Crom." As if that actually means something! As if we're sitting at home saying, "Ohhh, I get it now! Nasal CROM! Now that I know it's Nasal Crom, I'll have to go get some!"

Finally, the recent ads for "Shake Weight". The first ad featured women using the product...and that ad has mysteriously vanished. Possibly because the unintentional comedy of the ad was off the charts. If you haven't seen it, you can find it online...but this SNL fake ad sums it up about right:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/143264/saturday-...hake-weight-dvd

Edited by friendlyvoice

QUOTE (friendlyvoice @ Aug 31 2010, 05:47 PM)
Finally, the recent ads for "Shake Weight". The first ad featured women using the product...and that ad has mysteriously vanished. Possibly because the unintentional comedy of the ad was off the charts. If you haven't seen it, you can find it online...but this SNL fake ad sums it up about right:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/143264/saturday-...hake-weight-dvd

rofl3.gif

I wonder why they introduce themselves for commercials.

Unless you're Billy Mays (R.I.P.) no one cares.

while we're at it...political commercials

hi, here's why I'm good in a quick easy to digest 30 seconds...or worse.

Here's why the other guy will eat your babies and steal your money in 30 seconds.

also on those weight loss infomercials they will always have these people.

"if it worked on me it will work on anyone"

"I was a skeptic at first but wow"

"It changed my life"

and that pro talking about how they use it to keep in shape.

Those Toyota eavesdropping commercials...they can call it whatever they want, either way its bad acting, and a really dumb idea for an advertising campaign.

Local commercials tend to suck, but they at least have a certain charm about them, I usually enjoy them (always good to see local businesses doing well)

HeadON Apply directly to the forehead

(hey, it worked)

there's one commercial that's bugging me lately. It's a particular Dannon Activia one with Jamie Lee Curtis. She's in the park and tries to convince a man and woman to try it. Of course, they do. No problem, but I don't like the guy talking while his mouth is still full of yogurt.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 2 2010, 09:34 PM)
there's one commercial that's bugging me lately. It's a particular Dannon Activia one with Jamie Lee Curtis. She's in the park and tries to convince a man and woman to try it. Of course, they do. No problem, but I don't like the guy talking while his mouth is still full of yogurt.

OH THAT ONE DRIVES ME APESHIT!!!!!!!!!! The guy talks with the yogurt in his mouth and says "It's sooo good". I just want to slap his face and knock that yogurt all over Jamie Lee!!

QUOTE (RushNut @ Sep 2 2010, 09:38 PM)

OH THAT ONE DRIVES ME APESHIT!!!!!!!!!! The guy talks with the yogurt in his mouth and says "It's sooo good". I just want to slap his face and knock that yogurt all over Jamie Lee!!

I am so over Jamie Lee and that damn yogurt. For one thing, that shit is expensive.

And if you met Jamie Lee Curtis, would the first thing out of your mouth be that you are constipated? Likely not.

I remember one of the ads that ran after last holiday season. . .

"All that holiday food has left me irregular." It was still on the air in APRIL. If you are stopped up for 4 months, f**k the yogurt and get to a doctor.

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 2 2010, 10:12 PM)

I am so over Jamie Lee and that damn yogurt. For one thing, that shit is expensive.

And if you met Jamie Lee Curtis, would the first thing out of your mouth be that you are constipated? Likely not.

I remember one of the ads that ran after last holiday season. . .

"All that holiday food has left me irregular." It was still on the air in APRIL. If you are stopped up for 4 months, f**k the yogurt and get to a doctor.

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 2 2010, 08:34 PM)

I just hate those commercials on principle. "We're all crappin' and we love it! You should eat this stuff so you can crap more, too! It's great to crap!" Ugh.

Um, I have not seen this but want to, for some odd reason. Do you have a link by chance?

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 2 2010, 11:17 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 2 2010, 08:34 PM)

I just hate those commercials on principle. "We're all crappin' and we love it! You should eat this stuff so you can crap more, too! It's great to crap!" Ugh.

My favorite part of the Activia ads is the little hand motion Jamie Lee does everytime she mentions how it keeps you regular. Apparently that's the international hand signal for "runs thru you like crap thru a goose".

laugh.gif

Can't stand any of those commercials.