Rushman14

125 members have voted

1. 1. Is Moving Pictures overrated?

• Hell No
    • Yes

QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 26 2009, 10:52 AM)
an old patch still my collection

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/mikemoran/rush001.jpg

Hah! 97 Rock was my radio station of choice growing up, my first Rush show was at "The Aud" in Buffalo. It's gone now isn't it?

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 26 2009, 07:14 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2009, 08:08 AM)
QUOTE (MCM @ Jun 25 2009, 06:48 PM)
Granted it's certainly got a lot to offer, the drum work alone makes it a classic start to finish in my book.

I can't tell you how many times I've listened to this album, side one especially, and listened and focused JUST on Neil's drumming. Not only is it exemplary of crystal clear production, but just phenomenal drumming. It really is a marvel to listen to, and that's not even considering the amazing bass, guitar, singing and the entire package. Peerless songs...

The sound production of the drums on this does make it great. I wish a few other albums had the same production...not to mention the red Tamas.

(Sorry missed your show last night Goobs. I was investigating a new business venture.)

That's just it, the drums just SOUND better on this one, the drums themselves? the production? the playing? I don't know what it is, but I wish they always would sound that good.

QUOTE (MCM @ Jun 26 2009, 09:18 PM)
the drums just SOUND better on this one, the drums themselves? the production? the playing? I don't know what it is, but I wish they always would sound that good.

As listener of this album 3x today, I made the smae observation, and wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 28 2009, 10:34 AM)
Outside of the hardcore fans, and some older rock music fans, its the only album anyone even knows of

That's exactly the point though.

As fans, we know that there was a lot of quality material in that era. And yet, MP is the only one people know.

To me, that strengthens the overrated argument.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 28 2009, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 28 2009, 10:34 AM)
Outside of the hardcore fans, and some older rock music fans, its the only album anyone even knows of

That's exactly the point though.

As fans, we know that there was a lot of quality material in that era. And yet, MP is the only one people know.

To me, that strengthens the overrated argument.

goodpost.gif

Presto-digitation said it best, so not to much I can expand on there, well said dude. goodpost.gif Is it perfect?, close. Let me ask everyone in here. We have talked about T4E, and S&A this week. Some of us like certain songs, others of us disagree, or skip over these. Which is totally, to each his own. But can any of us honestly say there is anything on MP we skip over?

QUOTE (Test 4 Gecko @ Jun 29 2009, 03:01 AM)
QUOTE (gator2112 @ Jun 29 2009, 04:40 AM)
But can any of us honestly say there is anything on MP we skip over?

Yes.

In the main I only play side 1.

Vital Signs I always skip.

I often skip The Camera Eye. It's a great song, but compared to the rest of the album, it's the weak spot on the album - I would give it a solid 7.5 or 8, but there's something about it that never quite grabbed me like it has other people. It seems to go on too long, and I never thought the whole "the focus is sharp in the city" theme was particularly exciting. Anyway, IMHO. It's still a great song, but it is one I will often skip over. Everything else on the album is perfect or damn close.

QUOTE (MCM @ Jun 26 2009, 08:12 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 26 2009, 10:52 AM)
an old patch still my collection

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/mikemoran/rush001.jpg

Hah! 97 Rock was my radio station of choice growing up, my first Rush show was at "The Aud" in Buffalo. It's gone now isn't it?

yeah, the Aud is just about destroyed. 97 Rock was great back in the day!

I saw my first Rush show at the Aud during the permanent waves tour.

Is Moving Pictures overrated?

My answer:YES - it's overrated compared to other Rush classic albums, because on every possible list that I saw it's ranked as No 1 Rush album and it's widely considered as the best Rush album, the peak of their career. Moving Pictures IS undeniably a great album, but Permanent Waves is better by a fair margin and generally rated under MP everywhere. To sum up, MP is a great and overrated album when it comes Rush. And Red Barchetta is a very overrated song, never understood why it's widely considered as one of their masterpiece songs.

• Like 1

Is Moving Pictures overrated?

My answer:YES - it's overrated compared to other Rush classic albums, because on every possible list that I saw it's ranked as No 1 Rush album and it's widely considered as the best Rush album, the peak of their career. Moving Pictures IS undeniably a great album, but Permanent Waves is better by a fair margin and generally rated under MP everywhere. To sum up, MP is a great and overrated album when it comes Rush. And Red Barchetta is a very overrated song, never understood why it's widely considered as one of their masterpiece songs.

Red Barchetta is a fantastic song. In my top 15 Rush songs.
  • Like 2

I wouldn't say overrated at all. For me it's overplayed.

Exactly.

• Like 2