Your Top Fifteen (15) Metal bands of All Time?

LOL Rushhead. I've been into Y & T for about 20 years. I was in a record shop and Earthshaker was playing, didnt know who the band was and asked who it was, and then bought the album. Absolutely magnificent band, and finally got to see them about 2 years ago in a small club in Glasgow - only about 200 folk there. The highlight of the night was I Believe In You, it was just phenomenal live it nearly brought a tear to my eye. Definitely one of my alltime fav songs. I was standing right in front on Meniketti the whole time - one of the best concerts I've been to.

And Killers just absolutely rules biggrin.gif

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Xanadu Princess @ Feb 18 2010, 10:15 PM)
Here's the 5 I forgot from my earlier post - more rock than metal.

VINTAGE Maiden (the first 2 albums and nowt else)
Y & T
Purple
Tank
Hanoi Rocks

Hanoi Rocks!!

Damn, completely forgot about those mad bad Fins!

"Two Steps from the Move" - nice 1022.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Feb 18 2010, 04:45 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Feb 18 2010, 02:27 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Feb 18 2010, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 18 2010, 02:05 PM)
I can't be bothered making lists that will go out of date when my mood changes...

This is an old thread...

Where is natural science anyway? Did he write out his tax return in the form of his favourite 15 metal crash cymbals, then die of boredom??

laugh.gif

LOL!

I agree dude, lists change every day, yet they are fun to write on a Forum!

I guess 101's anal fissure has been torn apart and flushed down the Rush toilet of Nothingness.

tongue.gif

he was a jolly fissure man. a strange dude but he knew a lot about music i will say.

Indeed. He made me look like a toddler when it came to music.

I miss the 10 paragraph diatribes, otherwise called posts. That's what I remember him for. cool.gif

QUOTE (Sonatine @ Feb 18 2010, 11:28 PM)
Hanoi Rocks!!

"Two Steps from the Move" - nice  1022.gif

They were a fantastic band - they have quite recently split up -but I was lucky enough to see them a couple of years ago when they played here. They supported Twisted Sister - wow what a concert that was - stunning. Monroe's one of the best frontmen I've ever seen. Michael Monroe has got another band up and running now, not sure what they're called, but I think that guy from the Wildhearts is in it.

QUOTE (Xanadu Princess @ Feb 18 2010, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (Sonatine @ Feb 18 2010, 11:28 PM)
Hanoi Rocks!!

"Two Steps from the Move" - nice  1022.gif

They were a fantastic band - they have quite recently split up -but I was lucky enough to see them a couple of years ago when they played here. They supported Twisted Sister - wow what a concert that was - stunning. Monroe's one of the best frontmen I've ever seen. Michael Monroe has got another band up and running now, not sure what they're called, but I think that guy from the Wildhearts is in it.

One of my biggest regrets was not seeing those guys in concert, even though I had quite a few opportunities to do so. facepalm.gif

Will have to download some of their stuff - it's been awhile smile.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu Princess @ Feb 18 2010, 03:27 PM)
LOL Rushhead. I've been into Y & T for about 20 years. I was in a record shop and Earthshaker was playing, didnt know who the band was and asked who it was, and then bought the album. Absolutely magnificent band, and finally got to see them about 2 years ago in a small club in Glasgow - only about 200 folk there. The highlight of the night was I Believe In You, it was just phenomenal live it nearly brought a tear to my eye. Definitely one of my alltime fav songs. I was standing right in front on Meniketti the whole time - one of the best concerts I've been to.

And Killers just absolutely rules biggrin.gif

Wow! It's a small world after all!

I've been addicted to the Y&T Forum for about 6 years now!

Being here in the Bay Area, I am spoiled with many shows per year.

I don't go to many but I love The Fillmore shows. Their next one is at The Fillmore on May 22. It's their new cd release party! Should be awesome!!

Yep, everyone in the band is totally cool. Nymann is awesome!

I know about all of those shows overseas! They are still quite popular over there. Japan too.

I agree with you on "I Believe In You" live. That guitar solo brings a tear to my eye every time.

I think it's safe to say that Dave is the most underrated guitar player on the Earth.

Glad you had a great time at the show!!

IN ROCK WE TRUST!!!!!! trink39.gif

I was listening to a few tracks from Earthshaker tonight - what an album, totally superb. Can't wait to see them again now, jealous of you seeing them in May!!!!. Have you met them a few times Rushhead? Im, glad when I did finally see them that it was in such a tiny venue and though I didnt actually meet them, I was only about 2 feet away from the band. They are still very popular over here - still hear quite a lot of their songs played on rock radio and planet rock. In fact, I picked a Y & T song when I my Rockblock got played on Planet Rock radio (10 of your fav songs get played at lunchtime). I picked Rescue Me - another cracking song.

My mood changes as well from the course of month to month, but here is a fairly well thought out list, with some of the Titans of Metal history as well sa some slightly newer edgier genre defying bands.

Gotta say I am surprised but very pleased to see all the love for VOIVOD in this thread. VOIVOD rules, probably the band I've seen the most times live after Rush. Rest in Peace Piggy!

Slayer

Megadeth

Amon Amarth

Black Sabbath

Arch Enemy

Iron Maiden

Behemoth

Cradle of Filth

Voivod

Fear Factory

Metallica

Iced Earth

Nevermore

Testament

Ministry

*flails about*

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Feb 19 2010, 12:29 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadu Princess @ Feb 18 2010, 06:15 PM)
Tank

Tank! I love them. Turn Your Head Around is one of my favorite songs ever.

That song is fantastic. Echoes of a Distant Battle,Thats what Dreams are Made of and Turn Your Head Around prob my fav 3 songs. I wasn't expecting to see another Tank fan on here biggrin.gif .

I saw Tank a few times - best time was through in Edinburgh - three bands on the bill - Tank, Angel Witch and Girlschool. Absolutely amazing night. I've still actually got a Tank patch on my denim jacket biggrin.gif

This tour

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h169/Princess_of_the_Night747/angelwitch.jpg

Edited by Xanadu Princess

QUOTE (Xanadu Princess @ Feb 18 2010, 04:17 PM)
I was listening to a few tracks from Earthshaker tonight - what an album, totally superb. Can't wait to see them again now, jealous of you seeing them in May!!!!. Have you met them a few times Rushhead? Im, glad when I did finally see them that it was in such a tiny venue and though I didnt actually meet them, I was only about 2 feet away from the band. They are still very popular over here - still hear quite a lot of their songs played on rock radio and planet rock. In fact, I picked a Y & T song when I my Rockblock got played on Planet Rock radio (10 of your fav songs get played at lunchtime). I picked Rescue Me - another cracking song.

"Earthshaker" is a gem. So is "Black Tiger" and of course "Mean Streak." "In Rock We Trust" is their best seller but you can tell they started to drift toward the commercial side of things.

What do you think about the first two albums before "Earthshaker?"

Raw and muddy Seventies Hard Rock! I love those two albums! Just as much as I also love the first two Maiden records!

Yes, I have met the band many times! Even partied with them. They are all great guys and I am sure you said hi to Jill Meniketti over there since she runs the merch booth. She is awesome!!! The brains and braun behind the band.

You should fly out for The Fillmore show!!!

Probably too much money though!!

I know Y&T wishes they could sell out arenas, but that would be impossible so we the fans get spoiled rotten seeing this great band in small clubs.

Save your money and fly out for the famous Mystic Shows in November. One on Saturday and one on Sunday! That weekend is a BLAST!!!

Signed,

"Barroom Boogie" trink39.gif

PS: I got into Y&T when I was a freshman in high school. 1983.

I picked up "Black Tiger" on vinyl and I instantly fell in love! wub.gif

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Feb 18 2010, 04:29 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu Princess @ Feb 18 2010, 06:15 PM)
Tank

Tank! I love them. Turn Your Head Around is one of my favorite songs ever.

+1

Does anyone have that killer TANK BOX SET? It has all of their albums remastered in digipak sleeves.

It kicks ass!!!

QUOTE (g under p @ Feb 18 2010, 04:21 PM)
Megadeth
PRONG
Iron Maiden
Living Colour...I'll catch hell for this one laugh.gif
Danzig
Slayer
Metallica
Black Sabbath
Ozzy Ozbourne
Judas Priest
Testement
Thin Lizzy
Dio
Dreamtheater
Bio Hazard

Say is Molly Hatchet heavy metal?

The term 'Heavy Metal' was thrown around a lot from the late Sixties to the late Seventies before the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal solidified the definitions of metal and rock as a whole diverged into more distinct genres. Led Zeppelin and early versions of Rush, KISS, Van Halen, AC/DC and even Journey were often refered to as metal. After the coming of the NWOBHM and the directions the bands previously mentioned took, only bands like Judas Priest, Motorhead and Black Sabbath emerged to help truly define heavy metal. So leaving out many of these rock titans out of the running, my FAVORITE, not 'greatest' or 'best' ranking neccessarily would go something like this...

1. Iron Maiden

2. Slayer

3. Metallica

4. Black Sabbath

5. Ozzy Osbourne (sorry, NOT the same as Sabbath)

6. Exodus

7. Pantera

8. Megadeth

9. Black Label Society

10. System Of A Down

11. Judas Priest

12. Motley Crue

13. Anthrax

14. Motorhead

15. Morbid Angel

QUOTE (Sonatine @ Feb 18 2010, 10:28 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu Princess @ Feb 18 2010, 10:15 PM)
Here's the 5 I forgot from my earlier post - more rock than metal.

VINTAGE Maiden (the first 2 albums and nowt else)
Y & T
Purple
Tank
Hanoi Rocks

Hanoi Rocks!!

"Two Steps from the Move" - nice 1022.gif

Oriental Beat 1022.gif

Black Sabbath

AC/DC

Deep Purple

Rainbow

Scorpions

UFO

Heaven & Hell

Motorhead

Metallica

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

Saxon

MSG

Twisted f'kin Sister

Hanoi Rocks

It's hard to draw the line at what is and what isn't metal. For example Rainbow had some kick ass metal songs, Kill The King, Long Live Rock N'Roll, Stargazer, Tarot woman etc but also some more commercial sounding rock. I didn't include Zep or Black Crowes my fave bands as they are definately not metal.

AC/DC have some metallish songs but mostly just High Voltage Rock N' Roll biggrin.gif

Yeah so in a nutshell many bands are difficult to cateragorize trink39.gif

Hmmm...

Black Sabbath

Ozzy

Monster Magnet

The Melvins

Alice In Chains

Soundgarden

Judas Preist

Motorhead

The Sword

Megadeth

Black Label Society

Pentagram

Ugly Kid Joe

Faith No More

Iron Maiden

...Just off the top of my head right now. Results may change on a few from time to time.

Im not really into metal anymore:

Lacuna Coil

The Gathering

Nightwish

Dream Theater

That's about it.

I can't be bothered making lists that will go out of date when my mood changes...

This is an old thread...

Where is natural science anyway? Did he write out his tax return in the form of his favourite 15 metal crash cymbals, then die of boredom??

laugh.gif

:goodone:

if you saw my bedroom you'd understand how much I love a bit of dust!

This is an old thread...

laugh.gif

:goodone:

Aye, it wasn't bad.