Rate the last book you read

iluvgeddy05

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 28 2010, 07:30 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 29 2010, 09:02 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 28 2010, 02:49 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 26 2010, 03:52 PM)
http://www.bratpackbook.com/bpb/images/covershot.jpg

8.5 out of 10. 

I graduated in 1986, so these films were a huge part of my life and perhaps even an influence on my character.  The Breakfast Club was freaking genius, actually.  This book was very very good, for anyone who grew up with these movies and/or is a Hughes fan.  A chapter for each of the films (Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, St. Elmo's Fire, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Some Kind of Wonderful, and Say Anything), a chapter about the music in the films, a chapter about the magazine article which labeled these actors "The Brat Pack," a couple chapters specifically about Hughes, and chapters analyzing the films' cultural significance.  Interesting reading, full of factoids about the behind-the-scenes "making of" each movie; it often reads like a print version of a DVD commentary track.  Could've been even better, but it was pretty good.

Love and hate some of Hughes' stuff...love Breakfast Club, hate Ferris Beuller's Day Off. As far as comedy goes, 16 Candles is possibly his funniest. He didn't do Say Anything though; the great Cameron Crowe did. And I'm almost positive he didn't St.Elmo's Fire (I think Joel Schumacher did believe it or not...which would be the reason why it sucked!).

They should AT LEAST make a John Hughes documentary for cable. The man influenced & affected millions.

You're right about St. Elmo's (Joel Schumacher) and Say Anything (Cameron Crowe), but neither the book nor I claimed they were Hughes movies. But both were 80s teen movies and both - particularly St. Elmo's - had some "brat pack" actors involved. Actually, it was after a day of shooting St. Elmo's that a journalist went out with Estevez, Lowe, and Nelson and coined the phrase "brat pack" about the three of them and their co-stars.

Yeah, Schumacher. Prior to St. Elmo's Fire he did great films like Car Wash and the Mr. T vehicle D.C. Cab. Awesome director of awesome films, eh? wink.gif

I agree that Breakfast Club was legendary and I agree some of the Hughes movies weren't altogether terrific, but... what's wrong with Ferris Bueller??? What's not to like? Next to BC, it might be my favorite.

Ah okay. I misunderstood your post...I thought it was a book about Hughes. In any case, seems like a fun & light read.

Ferris Beuller...yeah, I just couldn't get many laughs out of it. I watched it more than once with friends (that usually share my general sense of humor too) that were dying but not much was making me laugh. And I don't like it NOT because I have a dislike towards Matthew Broderick either...because I thought he was funny in Biloxi Blues and Election. Oh well.

What ever happened to Judd Nelson & Ally Sheedy anyways? Not to rip them too much but I think the only good movie they did was BC (but at least it was that one eh?)

They're mostly Hughes movies in the book; Hughes himself is given credit for being a godfather of sorts to the golden age of teen movies, and two of the chapters are specifically about the man and not his films.

I just watched a special edition of the BC, and Nelson and Sheedy had a lot of great comments on the bonus features... particularly Nelson, who also added a running commentary thing alongside Anthony Michael Hall. Nelson was both insightful AND funny.

Immediately after BC, Nelson did a couple bad films you might remember: Blue City (with Sheedy) and From the Hip. He got some attention for doing a TV movie based on a true story: The Billionaire Boy's Club, and starred in a terrible flick about a serial killer, Relentless. Maybe you'll remember he was also the lone white guy in New Jack City and co-starred in that Brooke Shields TV series Suddenly Susan. Since then, not much, and that was ten years ago.

Sheedy. Hmmm. Well, there was the aforementioned Blue City, and then she did a series of unpopular romantic comedies, the most popular of which was Maid to Order. Of course, she starred opposite Steve Guttenberg and a robot in Short Circuit - which was fluffy, but kinda fun. She also had a part alongside Molly Ringwald in Betsy's Wedding. I have to cheat to find her credits since then - it's mostly been guest-starring roles on TV shows, the most noteworthy being CSI and an appearance on Anthony Michael Hall's The Dead Zone.

The "brat pack" label was very unfair to all (or nearly all) of these actors and actresses, but perhaps most unfair to Sheedy. She wasn't a bratty partier; her favorite thing was to stay home, listen to "The Nutcracker," and read poetry while sipping herbal tea. Does that sound like a brat???

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 29 2010, 09:58 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 28 2010, 07:30 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 29 2010, 09:02 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 28 2010, 02:49 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 26 2010, 03:52 PM)
http://www.bratpackbook.com/bpb/images/covershot.jpg

8.5 out of 10. 

I graduated in 1986, so these films were a huge part of my life and perhaps even an influence on my character.  The Breakfast Club was freaking genius, actually.  This book was very very good, for anyone who grew up with these movies and/or is a Hughes fan.  A chapter for each of the films (Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, St. Elmo's Fire, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Some Kind of Wonderful, and Say Anything), a chapter about the music in the films, a chapter about the magazine article which labeled these actors "The Brat Pack," a couple chapters specifically about Hughes, and chapters analyzing the films' cultural significance.  Interesting reading, full of factoids about the behind-the-scenes "making of" each movie; it often reads like a print version of a DVD commentary track.  Could've been even better, but it was pretty good.

Love and hate some of Hughes' stuff...love Breakfast Club, hate Ferris Beuller's Day Off. As far as comedy goes, 16 Candles is possibly his funniest. He didn't do Say Anything though; the great Cameron Crowe did. And I'm almost positive he didn't St.Elmo's Fire (I think Joel Schumacher did believe it or not...which would be the reason why it sucked!).

They should AT LEAST make a John Hughes documentary for cable. The man influenced & affected millions.

You're right about St. Elmo's (Joel Schumacher) and Say Anything (Cameron Crowe), but neither the book nor I claimed they were Hughes movies. But both were 80s teen movies and both - particularly St. Elmo's - had some "brat pack" actors involved. Actually, it was after a day of shooting St. Elmo's that a journalist went out with Estevez, Lowe, and Nelson and coined the phrase "brat pack" about the three of them and their co-stars.

Yeah, Schumacher. Prior to St. Elmo's Fire he did great films like Car Wash and the Mr. T vehicle D.C. Cab. Awesome director of awesome films, eh? wink.gif

I agree that Breakfast Club was legendary and I agree some of the Hughes movies weren't altogether terrific, but... what's wrong with Ferris Bueller??? What's not to like? Next to BC, it might be my favorite.

Ah okay. I misunderstood your post...I thought it was a book about Hughes. In any case, seems like a fun & light read.

Ferris Beuller...yeah, I just couldn't get many laughs out of it. I watched it more than once with friends (that usually share my general sense of humor too) that were dying but not much was making me laugh. And I don't like it NOT because I have a dislike towards Matthew Broderick either...because I thought he was funny in Biloxi Blues and Election. Oh well.

What ever happened to Judd Nelson & Ally Sheedy anyways? Not to rip them too much but I think the only good movie they did was BC (but at least it was that one eh?)

They're mostly Hughes movies in the book; Hughes himself is given credit for being a godfather of sorts to the golden age of teen movies, and two of the chapters are specifically about the man and not his films.

I just watched a special edition of the BC, and Nelson and Sheedy had a lot of great comments on the bonus features... particularly Nelson, who also added a running commentary thing alongside Anthony Michael Hall. Nelson was both insightful AND funny.

Immediately after BC, Nelson did a couple bad films you might remember: Blue City (with Sheedy) and From the Hip. He got some attention for doing a TV movie based on a true story: The Billionaire Boy's Club, and starred in a terrible flick about a serial killer, Relentless. Maybe you'll remember he was also the lone white guy in New Jack City and co-starred in that Brooke Shields TV series Suddenly Susan. Since then, not much, and that was ten years ago.

Sheedy. Hmmm. Well, there was the aforementioned Blue City, and then she did a series of unpopular romantic comedies, the most popular of which was Maid to Order. Of course, she starred opposite Steve Guttenberg and a robot in Short Circuit - which was fluffy, but kinda fun. She also had a part alongside Molly Ringwald in Betsy's Wedding. I have to cheat to find her credits since then - it's mostly been guest-starring roles on TV shows, the most noteworthy being CSI and an appearance on Anthony Michael Hall's The Dead Zone.

The "brat pack" label was very unfair to all (or nearly all) of these actors and actresses, but perhaps most unfair to Sheedy. She wasn't a bratty partier; her favorite thing was to stay home, listen to "The Nutcracker," and read poetry while sipping herbal tea. Does that sound like a brat???

The only thing I remember about Sheedy and Nelson after BC were: Nelson in From the Hip and New Jack City. I don't remember anything of Sheedy except for Short Circuit and Only the Lonely (where she was the love interest of John Candy). I didn't know about any of their tv roles. I might have to do a search just out of sheer curiosity

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 28 2010, 08:16 PM)
The only thing I remember about Sheedy and Nelson after BC were: Nelson in From the Hip and New Jack City.  I don't remember anything of Sheedy except for Short Circuit and Only the Lonely (where she was the love interest of John Candy).  I didn't know about any of their tv roles.  I might have to do a search just out of sheer curiosity

trink39.gif

You definitely hit their biggest post-BC roles.

And I forgot all about "Only the Lonely." Not a bad movie!

Edited by GeddyRulz

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/1Subalbum/B5book1.jpg

Hey Jack, I finished this last night. I really recommend it. smile.gif

It starts just about where the series ends - when Londo is just becomming emperor and he's getting that creepy Drakh keeper attatched to his shoulder. Well, from then on, he (and concequently Centauri Prime) is under the control of 'The Drakh Entire'. They begin influencing, strike that, manipulating Londo and at least one of his assosiates, Durla, to shape Centauri Prime their way, and ultimately bring down the Interstellar Alliance. They make an attempt on Sheridan's life, of course we know he doesn't die for another 20 or so years. wink.gif

And poor Vir is also wrapped up in all this. Of course, he's the Centauri ambassador on Babylon 5 now, but he goes to Centauri Prime and a drunk Londo (when he gets drunk, it lulls the keeper to sleep) tries to cryptically tell Vir what's going on. So with the help of a techno-mage or three, Vir decides to take action!

Apparently, in the second book, Vir starts some kind of resistance movement.

So have I convinced you yet? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ May 10 2010, 08:35 AM)

It starts just about where the series ends - when Londo is just becomming emperor and he's getting that creepy Drakh keeper attatched to his shoulder. Well, from then on, he (and concequently Centauri Prime) is under the control of 'The Drakh Entire'. They begin influencing, strike that, manipulating Londo and at least one of his assosiates, Durla, to shape Centauri Prime their way, and ultimately bring down the Interstellar Alliance. They make an attempt on Sheridan's life, of course we know he doesn't die for another 20 or so years. wink.gif
And poor Vir is also wrapped up in all this. Of course, he's the Centauri ambassador on Babylon 5 now, but he goes to Centauri Prime and a drunk Londo (when he gets drunk, it lulls the keeper to sleep) tries to cryptically tell Vir what's going on. So with the help of a techno-mage or three, Vir decides to take action!

Yeah, I may get that! I Binged Peter David and it seems he's a really good author in spite of the fact that he also writes (shudder) Star Trek novels!

Thank you for the review, Jaye! I owe you one.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 10 2010, 02:51 PM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ May 10 2010, 08:35 AM)

Yeah, I may get that! I Binged Peter David and it seems he's a really good author in spite of the fact that he also writes (shudder) Star Trek novels!

Oh yeah, my dad has a few of his Star Trek books. I've never been moved to read any of those though. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 10 2010, 02:51 PM)
Thank you for the review, Jaye! I owe you one.

trink39.gif Enjoy!

Roadshow by that guy that "hits things with sticks". I hate to admit it but I didn't like it all that much. It felt like it didn't really go many places despite the actual documented travel of going all over the place. And the truth is, if I weren't a RUSH fan I might've given up on the book.

Final Grade: C

I liked his other literary efforts much more yes.gif

QUOTE (Boots @ Apr 12 2010, 06:03 PM)
Neil Gaiman -- American Gods- give it 8 out of 10

Read that one myself a few years back, really enjoyed it! I was quite sad to finish it, one of those deals where I wanted to know what happened next. Good stuff.

Most recent book was Philip Roth - Exit Ghost....bit of a strange one, i'd give it about a 7 out of 10...but whadda I know!

Started reading Yellow Dog by Martin Amis but i'm struggling.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 3 2010, 08:12 AM)
Roadshow by that guy that "hits things with sticks". I hate to admit it but I didn't like it all that much. It felt like it didn't really go many places despite the actual documented travel of going all over the place. And the truth is, if I weren't a RUSH fan I might've given up on the book.

Final Grade: C

I liked his other literary efforts much more yes.gif

Agreed, Roadshow felt like filler material.

The Runes of the Earth - from - The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - by

Stephan R. Donaldson. I highly recommend this series to any Fantasy

readers. Starting with the First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant The

Unbeliever (3 books), The second Chronicles (3), The Last Chronicles (4).

Donaldson is an multiple award winning author who blends modern life

struggle with Tolkien-ish themes. Give it a try, you'll be hooked and the

pages will fly by. The 9th book will be released in the Fall 2010, with the

final book slated for Spring 2012.

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Jun 6 2010, 02:34 AM)
The Runes of the Earth - from - The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - by

Stephan R. Donaldson. I highly recommend this series to any Fantasy

readers. Starting with the First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant The

Unbeliever (3 books), The second Chronicles (3), The Last Chronicles (4).

Donaldson is an multiple award winning author who blends modern life

struggle with Tolkien-ish themes. Give it a try, you'll be hooked and the

pages will fly by. The 9th book will be released in the Fall 2010, with the

final book slated for Spring 2012.

I'm about done with the Orsen Scott Card series about Ender which is very good also and I was looking for a new series like this to seek my teeth into. Thanks.

Last book I seriously read front to back was probably American Gods by Neil Gaiman. And that was close to 9 years ago. rofl3.gif

It wasn't bad. I liked it better than his other works. He should stick to literature and forget comic books.

Last book I read was "End the Fed" by Ron Paul. Very good and worth a read.

Current book: "Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald Excellent book but slow for me to read it due to lack of time.

If someone is looking for a series of Sci-Fi/Fantasy books to read, might I suggest looking into Michael Moorcock's "Eternal Champion" series.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/Jimyyz2112/THE_LIGHTHOUSE_KEEPER_COVER.jpg

The Lighthouse Keeper by Alan K Barker

In December 1900, three lighthouse keepers vanished withour trace from the remote Scottish Island of Eilean Mor.  An emergency relief crew was sent to man the lighthouse.  At the end of their month-long tour of duty, they resigned from their poss, and never spoke of what they had experienced on the island.

The mystery of Eilean Mor has never been solved until now.

In the present, a group of environmental researchers arrives on the island to observe the wildlife.  While exploring the lighthouse, now automated and deserted, one of the team discovers a manuscript written by one of the relief keepers, a man named Alec Dalemore.

As a sudden storm moves in, cutting off their escape, the researchers come to realise that Delamore wrote the manuscript as a warning to all the lighthouse keepers who would come after him.  A warning of something on the Eilean Mor and in the surrounding ocean - something ancient and powerful, and strange beyond imagining...

the Lighthouse Keeper is a supernatural tale based on the Flannan Isles mystery, one of the greatest unsolved enigmas in maritime history.  Blending the factual firsthand reports with speculative fiction, the novel takes the reader on a journey to the edge of reality, where the greatest of human fears - the fear of the unknown - holds dominion.

Actually read this in a single sitting as I couldn't put the damn thing down. Absolutely brilliant and a must for all fans of HP Lovecraft style cosmic horror.

Available from Completely Novel

The Drawing of the Three, the second installment in the Dark Tower series.

Oh. My. GOD. What a terrific read. I spent about five days on it. I LOVED IT. I was glued to the page. King nailed the suspense/horror balance.

10/10. No question.

Edited by Turn Me On Dead Man

I have an hour drive to work and listen to audiobooks everyday for about 4 years now so I go through a ton of books. I listen to alot of fiction, mostly mysteries. I also read alot as well.

Currently I am on the third book by Steig Laarson in his series. The first is The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, and the 2nd is The Girl who played with fire. All 3 are excellent and getting top notch reviews the last few years.

Somewhere between ahhh and blahhh is the current one.

I jus' finesh me an Irish street and pub tale, replete with authentic Irish accents an' everythin built right thar into the storyline...Never read a book like this before where the regional accents are apparent by all the mis-spellings and slang language of the characters...very cool.

Then, I also just banged out a tale 'boot an Hasidic Jew community, where one of the young 'uns is born to be poised to become some high ranking Rebbe (Rabbi), but he's actually devised several proofs that the God of the Judeo-Christian tradition doesn't really exist...So, he's stuck with quite the dilemma. Right?

He's all uber-smart and all like at the age of 16 years o' age an' such...But, the kid sits on all this abstract reasoning and inner knowledge and decides to do nuthin' 'boot it all because challenging the system and his given faith would just wreck his ma and pa's hearts...

So, he pusses out and decides against becoming a professed atheist...Despite his incredible level of intelligence, he goes against all that he intellectually understands about this world and his place in it and just lives the quiet life of a Rebbe instead...Understandble, yet disappointng.

Edited by thelocator