Rate the last book you read

iluvgeddy05

Indigo Slam by Robert Crais, featuring LA private eye Elvis Cole and his ninja-like sidekick Joe Pike. Russian gangsters v Vietnamese freedom fighters from Orange County to Seattle. Kidnappings, murder, counterfeiting, US Marshals chasing Russian bad guys around disneyworld. Not the best but still a solid entry in the Elvis Cole series.

7/10

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (9.5/10)

Excellent read. Just excellent. I had trouble remembering some of the newer, minor characters but everntually they returned to my mind. Nearly got choked up towards the end (I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet).

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 6 2009, 04:20 PM)
Elmore Leonard's Gold Coast from 1980, excellent crime novel, with a hilarious redneck gangster villain...

I'm rating this indigo/violet on the colour rating scale...

cool10.gif

Elmore Leonard's Maximum Bob which features the brothers and the nephew of the looney bad guy from Gold Coast, good one!!

The Bad Place - Dean R Koontz

It's been 20 years since I read this one and I was a little unenthusiastic going in, as I've been a bit disappointed with re-reading Dean's books 2 decades after. Not this time though, this one is just as excellent as I remember it being the first time (even though I didn't remember about 99% of the plot). It's got an exciting story, dozens of fabulous sc-fi/fantasy ideas interwoven into it and a totally evil, despicable bad guy who genuinely instils fear for the characters in the reader.

9/10

before that

Dark Hollow - John Connolly

Pretty good thriller with a nice spooky atmosphere and a host of interesting characters.

7/10

Open/ Andre Agassi

10/10

A long time Agassi fan, I enjoyed -- and felt heartache -- reading this autobiography. I really knew nothing about his personal life and found the rawness of his accounts very interesting to read. I also love how he comes to peace with tennis at the end of the book -- and at his retirement.

A must for any tennis fan. He dishes on Sampras a lot too laugh.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Aug 6 2009, 03:26 PM)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (9.5/10)

Excellent read. Just excellent. I had trouble remembering some of the newer, minor characters but everntually they returned to my mind. Nearly got choked up towards the end (I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet).

Yknow, those are definitely a guilty pleasure for me. I get wrapped up in them so quickly. That said, the last book I read was book 7 (again), and 9/10. Only reason for the point off is it drags a little bit when they're in the forest IMO.

I just read "Uncle Tom's Cabin" by Harriet Beecher Stowe, and I can't say anything bad about it. Stowe's writing and language is absolutely prolific, given the time she wrote it as well as being a woman and African-American. I had read one chapter of it in a college English class, and was then compelled to read the entire book. It's a very moving, emotional, and at times depressing, account of slavery and its evils. However, it's quite uplifting at times too. I found myself almost in tears at some points!

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch (8/10).

As to be expected from Philip K. Dick, it's a jolting drug-induced sci-fi ride that's occasionally confusing, often provacative, and completely engaging. Where can I get my hands on some Can-D or Chew-Z? wacko.gif

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

This is one that took a very long time to read, not because it was boring, poorly written, or anything like that, but because it raised incredibly important and sometimes overlooked issues. I often was struck right in the heart by what was said, so I would have to stop and pray, then reflect and dive into Scripture. I would recommend this to any Christian who hasn't yet read it, but with the note that you should be prepared to get challenged deeply by the contents. Because of that, though, I feel more confident, more knowledgeable, and more secure in the faith than before reading the book, and that is largely due to the amount of prayer and Scripture readings that went along with it.

http://www.bratpackbook.com/bpb/images/covershot.jpg

8.5 out of 10.

I graduated in 1986, so these films were a huge part of my life and perhaps even an influence on my character. The Breakfast Club was freaking genius, actually. This book was very very good, for anyone who grew up with these movies and/or is a Hughes fan. A chapter for each of the films (Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, St. Elmo's Fire, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Some Kind of Wonderful, and Say Anything), a chapter about the music in the films, a chapter about the magazine article which labeled these actors "The Brat Pack," a couple chapters specifically about Hughes, and chapters analyzing the films' cultural significance. Interesting reading, full of factoids about the behind-the-scenes "making of" each movie; it often reads like a print version of a DVD commentary track. Could've been even better, but it was pretty good.

I just read Anthem by Ayn Rand (cause of 2112. Hurr). I'm too lazy to write what I thought exactly cause there is just SO MUCH to write about it, but I LOOOOOOVED IT *flails my arms and does a spaz dance* FFFFFFFFF IT KICKED ASS. FREEDOM OF SPIRIT FTW!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 26 2010, 03:52 PM)

8.5 out of 10.

I graduated in 1986, so these films were a huge part of my life and perhaps even an influence on my character. The Breakfast Club was freaking genius, actually. This book was very very good, for anyone who grew up with these movies and/or is a Hughes fan. A chapter for each of the films (Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, St. Elmo's Fire, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Some Kind of Wonderful, and Say Anything), a chapter about the music in the films, a chapter about the magazine article which labeled these actors "The Brat Pack," a couple chapters specifically about Hughes, and chapters analyzing the films' cultural significance. Interesting reading, full of factoids about the behind-the-scenes "making of" each movie; it often reads like a print version of a DVD commentary track. Could've been even better, but it was pretty good.

Love and hate some of Hughes' stuff...love Breakfast Club, hate Ferris Beuller's Day Off. As far as comedy goes, 16 Candles is possibly his funniest. He didn't do Say Anything though; the great Cameron Crowe did. And I'm almost positive he didn't St.Elmo's Fire (I think Joel Schumacher did believe it or not...which would be the reason why it sucked!).

They should AT LEAST make a John Hughes documentary for cable. The man influenced & affected millions.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 28 2010, 02:49 AM)

8.5 out of 10. 

I graduated in 1986, so these films were a huge part of my life and perhaps even an influence on my character.  The Breakfast Club was freaking genius, actually.  This book was very very good, for anyone who grew up with these movies and/or is a Hughes fan.  A chapter for each of the films (Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, St. Elmo's Fire, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Some Kind of Wonderful, and Say Anything), a chapter about the music in the films, a chapter about the magazine article which labeled these actors "The Brat Pack," a couple chapters specifically about Hughes, and chapters analyzing the films' cultural significance.  Interesting reading, full of factoids about the behind-the-scenes "making of" each movie; it often reads like a print version of a DVD commentary track.  Could've been even better, but it was pretty good.

Love and hate some of Hughes' stuff...love Breakfast Club, hate Ferris Beuller's Day Off. As far as comedy goes, 16 Candles is possibly his funniest. He didn't do Say Anything though; the great Cameron Crowe did. And I'm almost positive he didn't St.Elmo's Fire (I think Joel Schumacher did believe it or not...which would be the reason why it sucked!).

They should AT LEAST make a John Hughes documentary for cable. The man influenced & affected millions.

You're right about St. Elmo's (Joel Schumacher) and Say Anything (Cameron Crowe), but neither the book nor I claimed they were Hughes movies. But both were 80s teen movies and both - particularly St. Elmo's - had some "brat pack" actors involved. Actually, it was after a day of shooting St. Elmo's that a journalist went out with Estevez, Lowe, and Nelson and coined the phrase "brat pack" about the three of them and their co-stars.

Yeah, Schumacher. Prior to St. Elmo's Fire he did great films like Car Wash and the Mr. T vehicle D.C. Cab. Awesome director of awesome films, eh? wink.gif

I agree that Breakfast Club was legendary and I agree some of the Hughes movies weren't altogether terrific, but... what's wrong with Ferris Bueller??? What's not to like? Next to BC, it might be my favorite.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 29 2010, 09:02 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 28 2010, 02:49 AM)

8.5 out of 10. 

I graduated in 1986, so these films were a huge part of my life and perhaps even an influence on my character.  The Breakfast Club was freaking genius, actually.  This book was very very good, for anyone who grew up with these movies and/or is a Hughes fan.  A chapter for each of the films (Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, St. Elmo's Fire, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Some Kind of Wonderful, and Say Anything), a chapter about the music in the films, a chapter about the magazine article which labeled these actors "The Brat Pack," a couple chapters specifically about Hughes, and chapters analyzing the films' cultural significance.  Interesting reading, full of factoids about the behind-the-scenes "making of" each movie; it often reads like a print version of a DVD commentary track.  Could've been even better, but it was pretty good.

You're right about St. Elmo's (Joel Schumacher) and Say Anything (Cameron Crowe), but neither the book nor I claimed they were Hughes movies. But both were 80s teen movies and both - particularly St. Elmo's - had some "brat pack" actors involved. Actually, it was after a day of shooting St. Elmo's that a journalist went out with Estevez, Lowe, and Nelson and coined the phrase "brat pack" about the three of them and their co-stars.

Yeah, Schumacher. Prior to St. Elmo's Fire he did great films like Car Wash and the Mr. T vehicle D.C. Cab. Awesome director of awesome films, eh? wink.gif

I agree that Breakfast Club was legendary and I agree some of the Hughes movies weren't altogether terrific, but... what's wrong with Ferris Bueller??? What's not to like? Next to BC, it might be my favorite.

Ah okay. I misunderstood your post...I thought it was a book about Hughes. In any case, seems like a fun & light read.

Ferris Beuller...yeah, I just couldn't get many laughs out of it. I watched it more than once with friends (that usually share my general sense of humor too) that were dying but not much was making me laugh. And I don't like it NOT because I have a dislike towards Matthew Broderick either...because I thought he was funny in Biloxi Blues and Election. Oh well.

What ever happened to Judd Nelson & Ally Sheedy anyways? Not to rip them too much but I think the only good movie they did was BC (but at least it was that one eh?)