Name an obscure album that you wish...

Collapsar - Integers

If you are into highly complex musical ideas that are intellectually challenging, then this is yer cup o' tea. It doesn't get more brainy than this one and Blotted Science's The Machinations of Dementia.

Although, now I'm just naming newish albums that are really impressive and that I think you should have. These are too new to be considered obscure.

Edited by naturalsciences101

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Jun 3 2009, 01:21 PM)
Blotted Science's The Machinations of Dementia.

this

GTR - GTR (1986)

QUOTE (rotting @ Jun 3 2009, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Jun 3 2009, 01:21 PM)
Blotted Science's The Machinations of Dementia.

this

Oh, snap, rotting. I keep on forgetting to grab ya so I can pass along to you another quality title. Remember how I steered you right with the Obscura? Well, check out this Collapsar Integers. Good things. Something to go along with yer Blotted Sci....which I'm listening to right now, by the way. It feels like a a huge machine is stamping extremely complex patterns into me skull. lol.

Been on a Japanese metal kick lately....

X Japan

Loudness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNon8-hwvgo&feature=related

Otherwise -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0EROJuXB_E&feature=related

And old school -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHEVl1lP7X0

(you'd be amazed how many people don't know who these guys are!)

And these guys..

Edited by ProfGumby

Check this. Ya know how Jazz Fusion is pretty much seen as an American phenomena? All the major bands in the first wave are all American, or mixed with British personnel. Return To Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Headhunters, Brand X, Weather Report, etc.

Well, Denmark seems to be a more than obvious exception to the rule. Two bands out of that grand land have made a few real solid contributions that are on par with the truly great documents coming from the American outfits. You will most definitely need these three, highly obscure gems. Secret Oyster's Furtive Pearl (1973), Secret Oyster's Sea Son (1974) and Thors Hammer's self titled album (1972)...Oh, I'd be totally remiss if I didn't mentione Zzebra's self titled album (1974)...even though they're from Britain. Totally chock full of memborable compositions.

What's cool about these albums is that the style of music is hybrid. Well, 'Jazz Fusion' itself is meant to denote a hybrid between Jazz and Rock music. But, with these Danish bands, the emphasis is on their Prog Rock leanings. So, you have a type of Jazz Fusion which sounds very much like very accessible, instrumental Prog Rock...but, with an abstract, improvisational side, of course. You listen to these albums once and the melodies are stuck in your head. The bands are straight up fun too. Some Fusion groups tend to sound very academic...like the musicians are try to learn you a lesson. Not these three recordings. Great for anyone who loves Classic Fusion. Even better for those who love both Classic Prog and Classic Fusion.

Edited by naturalsciences101

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 3 2009, 11:11 AM)
Ian McDonald and Michael Giles McDonald & Giles

One of the greatest albums ever!

An absolute must have! common001.gif

Ok, that's a good call. If you happen to like the specific type of Prog churned out on that outing, I can name a few others obscurities somewhere along the same lines. Well, Van der Graaf Generator's Pawn Hearts (1971) isn't exactly obscure. But, I'd name that one. Then, defnitely, Catapilla's Changes (1972). Oh, lordy. That one is nice. Grobschnitt's Rockpommel's Land (1977). This is a German oufit with a heavy Yes influence and a nicely shaped confluence. Whatever that may mean... Another German band does the trick with, Eloy's Ocean (1977). Check into these. Pro'lly hard to find. But, that's what makes 'em 'obscure'.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Jun 2 2009, 09:36 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 2 2009, 07:01 PM)
now what about Ozrics????

Unbelievable, yet I still don't have a single Tentacles outing. I understand that they're right up my alley too..Some type of experimental , metallic Fusion, right? I just pulled them up on Wiki and they seem to have quite the bountiful discography...Where does someone begin with them?

for starters i would go for Erpland or Become The Other. they are from two different era of the ozrics from a band member perspective......the only CD of theirs to outright avoid is Floating Seeds, which is OT songs mixed by others.

in the meantime you can cut your teeth on Pixel Dream.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Jun 7 2009, 12:31 AM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jun 6 2009, 11:21 PM)
Pineapple Thief - 137

Porcupine Tree. Pineapple Thief, indeed. Yes, no, maybe?

Could be. I've never listened to Porcupine Tree, so I can't agree or disagree with that claim. I have heard they're very similar, though.

Obcure album that's really good. Hmm, I got a lot of 'em. How about Ian Anderson's first solo venture? Ian Anderson's Walk Into Light (1983). Anderson actually attempted a solo spot in 1980...but he couldn't break from the Jethro Tull mindset and that year's title eventually morphed into a full band outing. But, his 1983 offering is a different bag of chips. Walk Into Light actually does sound significantly different than the Jethro Tull of the same era or anything before or after. The reason being mostly that it doesn't rely much on acoustic or electric guitar. There's a bunch of keyboard work on this album, but tastefully done. No sweeping flourishes or anything like that. The keyboards that are there are there to serve the songs. Pretty good album. This guy never fails and writing clever songs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walk_into_Light

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Y5S8177FL.jpg

I Mother Earth - Scenery and Fish

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61MREECDTJL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

dada - American Highway Flower

http://therisingstorm.net/audio/spring.jpg

Spring's one and only album.

Prog rock very "first Crimson" only mellower. They had THREE mellotrons, nonetheless. Guess it's kinda obscure but it's good. Especially the first track.

While the "album" is still available online, most people I know have never heard the original incarnation of The Cult. The Southern Death Cult had something very special and I will never understand why Ian broke that band up. Their only "album" is the original E.P. plus a bunch of different recordings thrown together on one cd by Beggar's Banquet, but this is post punk at its finest if you ask me.

Kaddisfly - Did You Know People Can Fly?

good luck finding it however as its no longer imprint and the band are on hiatus for right now.

great song off the album is

If you like early 70's Santana, with hypnotic Afro-beat grooves, funk & Jamaican vibes, I strongly encourage you to check out Cymande, a London based band of Guyanese, Jamaican & St Vincent immigrants from the early 70's.

f***ing hell, they are sensational.