Name an obscure album that you wish...

You know that you have a really good taste in music. But, those around ya are kinda 'iffy' on that front. They know several of the huge, popular classics of Rock, but rarely dig any deeper than what the radio plays. You know that if they can only just hear some of this other, really great material that you've discovered, that they'd like it too. But, the problem is how to get them to step outside of their self-imposed, Pop Culture Safety Zone. Say that a friend of yours is feeling adventurous today and comes to you for an outside-the-box musical suggestion. Which obscure title are you excited enough about to pass on to him/her? Which little-known recording needs to be shared with us?

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 26 2009, 04:43 PM)
You know that you have a really good taste in music. But, those around ya are kinda 'iffy' on that front. They know several of the huge, popular classics of Rock, but rarely dig any deeper than what the radio plays. You know that if they can only just hear some of this other, really great material that you've discovered, that they'd like it too. But, the problem is how to get them to step outside of their self-imposed, Pop Culture Safety Zone. Say that a friend of yours is feeling adventurous today and comes to you for an outside-the-box musical suggestion. Which obscure title are you excited enough about to pass on to him/her? Which little-known recording needs to be shared with us?

Wrong forum? unsure.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 26 2009, 03:49 PM)
You know that you have a really good taste in music.  But, those around ya are kinda 'iffy' on that front.  They know several of the huge, popular classics of Rock, but rarely dig any deeper than what the radio plays.  You know that if they can only just hear some of this other, really great material that you've discovered, that they'd like it too.  But, the problem is how to get them to step outside of their self-imposed, Pop Culture Safety Zone.  Say that a friend of yours is feeling adventurous today and comes to you for an outside-the-box musical suggestion.  Which obscure title are you excited enough about to pass on to him/her?  Which little-known recording needs to be shared with us?

Wrong forum? unsure.gif

Yeah, this is more of an MOTS thing.

You guys should check out the band ZOMBI.

They have three records now. They are a cross between RUSH and John Carpenter/Goblin Horror Film Soundtracks.

Killer instrumental shit for a two man band.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 26 2009, 05:09 PM)
You know that you have a really good taste in music.  But, those around ya are kinda 'iffy' on that front.  They know several of the huge, popular classics of Rock, but rarely dig any deeper than what the radio plays.  You know that if they can only just hear some of this other, really great material that you've discovered, that they'd like it too.  But, the problem is how to get them to step outside of their self-imposed, Pop Culture Safety Zone.  Say that a friend of yours is feeling adventurous today and comes to you for an outside-the-box musical suggestion.  Which obscure title are you excited enough about to pass on to him/her?  Which little-known recording needs to be shared with us?

Wrong forum? unsure.gif

Wait...what? What am I missing? Doesn't this fall under 'Other Music'? Music of the Spheres, right? Where the thread stands as of right now....Or, did I post it somewhere else and someone just moved it here?

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 26 2009, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 26 2009, 05:09 PM)

Wrong forum? unsure.gif

Wait...what? What am I missing? Doesn't this fall under 'Other Music'? Music of the Spheres, right? Where the thread stands as of right now....Or, did I post it somewhere else and someone just moved it here?

Yeah, it was in TTP and I moved it to here.

Don't worry about it, these things happen.

this one EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW ABOUT ...............but doesn't.

destined to eclipse your eardrums

http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioArt/Large/61/498861.jpg

QUOTE (theworkingman @ May 26 2009, 06:37 PM)
Obscure to this forum or the general public?

General obscurity.

I have so so so many titles that I want to share with ya'lls.

Where to begin?!

I have no clue.... Too much pressure to perform...

I think I'll abstain until I'm better organized. lol.

Utopia's RA should have been a huge album.

I'm not the type of guy who will hate music just because it's popular. Nowadays, it's a specific type of music which constantly rises to popularity...and, it's that specific type of music that I absolutely detest. Dig? So, the net result is that I hate the majority of popular music.

A few years back, the band Wolfmother rose to prominence. I like their debut effort. Nice meshing of an early-70's Hard Rock sound with some accessible Garage Rock songwriting. Some folks that I know who actually do care for that brand of retro-styled Hard Rock didn't like the Motherwolf album. And, the reason for that was because of the band's worldwide popularity. That's kinda silly, no?

But, I share their frustration, because a large share of very deserving bands and albums, which are quite similiar in musical direction and quality to the Motherwolf outing have been completely overlooked by the masses. Sure, these albums that I speak of do rather well in small markets, and have their cult followings...but never enjoy the mass appeal that Wolfmother did.

One such recording is Witchcraft's The Alchemist. Amazingly accessible and catchy retro songwriting abounds all over the place on this one. A really solid and significant outing from this Swedish organization who built up to this level of craft with the trial-and-error experimentation of their first two offerings.

A little Proggy, a little Doomy, but more than a little listenable, Witchcraft's The Alchemist kicks arse. I have no doubt that if this recording was given the same level of media and record company support, that it would have blown up as big as the Wolfmother stuff. But, it was mishandled, and now, only a fraction of the people know about it. If you like music somewhere in the realm of Wolfmother and The White Stripes, but just a tad darker and proggier, then the last Witchcraft joint is for you, friend.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 26 2009, 07:52 PM)
I'm not the type of guy who will hate music just because it's popular. Nowadays, it's a specific type of music which constantly rises to popularity...and, it's that specific type of music that I absolutely detest. Dig? So, the net result is that I hate the majority of popular music.

A few years back, the band Wolfmother rose to prominence. I like their debut effort. Nice meshing of an early-70's Hard Rock sound with some accessible Garage Rock songwriting. Some folks that I know who actually do care for that brand of retro-styled Hard Rock didn't like the Motherwolf album. And, the reason for that was because of the band's worldwide popularity. That's kinda silly, no?

But, I share their frustration, because a large share of very deserving bands and albums, which are quite similiar in musical direction and quality to the Motherwolf outing have been completely overlooked by the masses. Sure, these albums that I speak of do rather well in small markets, and have their cult followings...but never enjoy the mass appeal that Wolfmother did.

One such recording is Witchcraft's The Alchemist. Amazingly accessible and catchy retro songwriting abounds all over the place on this one. A really solid and significant outing from this Swedish organization who built up to this level of craft with the trial-and-error experimentation of their first two offerings.

A little Proggy, a little Doomy, but more than a little listenable, Witchcraft's The Alchemist kicks arse. I have no doubt that if this recording was given the same level of media and record company support, that it would have blown up as big as the Wolfmother stuff. But, it was mishandled, and now, only a fraction of the people know about it. If you like music somewhere in the realm of Wolfmother and The White Stripes, but just a tad darker and proggier, then the last Witchcraft joint is for you, friend.

I as well own the Alchemist and think its a great album. but ive seen the tag " doom metal" thrown out when talking about them. I hear a very 70s sabbath/zep hybrid. Nothing really Doomy about it IMO. ..agreed?..or am i missing something?

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 26 2009, 08:19 PM)
I'm not the type of guy who will hate music just because it's popular.  Nowadays, it's a specific type of music which constantly rises to popularity...and, it's that specific type of music that I absolutely detest.  Dig?  So, the net result is that I hate the majority of popular music.

A few years back, the band Wolfmother rose to prominence.  I like their debut effort.  Nice meshing of an early-70's Hard Rock sound with some accessible Garage Rock songwriting.  Some folks that I know who actually do care for that brand of retro-styled Hard Rock didn't like the Motherwolf album.  And, the reason for that was because of the band's worldwide popularity.  That's kinda silly, no?

But, I share their frustration, because a large share of very deserving bands and albums, which are quite similiar in musical direction and quality to the Motherwolf outing have been completely overlooked by the masses.  Sure, these albums that I speak of do rather well in small markets, and have their cult followings...but never enjoy the mass appeal that Wolfmother did.

One such recording is Witchcraft's The Alchemist.  Amazingly accessible and catchy retro songwriting abounds all over the place on this one.  A really solid and significant outing from this Swedish organization who built up to this level of craft with the trial-and-error experimentation of their first two offerings. 

A little Proggy, a little Doomy, but more than a little listenable, Witchcraft's The Alchemist kicks arse.  I have no doubt that if this recording was given the same level of media and record company support, that it would have blown up as big as the Wolfmother stuff.  But, it was mishandled, and now, only a fraction of the people know about it. If you like music somewhere in the realm of Wolfmother and The White Stripes, but just a tad darker and proggier, then the last Witchcraft joint is for you, friend.

I as well own the Alchemist and think its a great album. but ive seen the tag " doom metal" thrown out when talking about them. I hear a very 70s sabbath/zep hybrid. Nothing really Doomy about it IMO. ..agreed?..or am i missing something?

It's definitely in that realm. Well, the band, prior to conjuring their own original material, were a 'Pentagram' tribute band. And, Penta is known for their early influence on the Doom sub-genre that I'm so very fond of. So, they get filed under that sub-genre. There's definitely soom Doom in Witchcraft's sound. It's much more pronounced on the first and second Witchcraft outing than on 'The Alchemist'. But, there's also a Jethro Tull vibe in there too. They're a very cool band.

Wolfmother ruled!!! and Im pissed that they broke up.

Git yerself Witchcraft's The Alchemist, friend.

If we were to talk aboot the early 70's, then I'd have a ton of records that I'd want to hype up and pass along. There were so many great albums and the only ones that seem to get recognized any more is the stuff from the giants like Zep, Sab, Floyd, Who. Like, what about Atomic Rooster's Death Walks Behind You?...This one is the absolute shizzy. Such an awesome album that when you hear it you're like, "Why is this not known? Why am I only hearing this now?" Same goes for Rare Bird's Epic Forest. Both, full of amazing compositions, and really accessible too. Yet, radio doesn't touch them. Fans of early Hard Rock should check into these titles.

Everyone should hear the Theatre of Disco EP.

Who's that from?

Edited by naturalsciences101

I'm with you on this one!

QUOTE (goose @ May 26 2009, 11:34 PM)

One such recording is Witchcraft's The Alchemist.  Amazingly accessible and catchy retro songwriting abounds all over the place on this one.  A really solid and significant outing from this Swedish organization who built up to this level of craft with the trial-and-error experimentation of their first two offerings. 

A little Proggy, a little Doomy, but more than a little listenable, Witchcraft's The Alchemist kicks arse.  I have no doubt that if this recording was given the same level of media and record company support, that it would have blown up as big as the Wolfmother stuff.  But, it was mishandled, and now, only a fraction of the people know about it. If you like music somewhere in the realm of Wolfmother and The White Stripes, but just a tad darker and proggier, then the last Witchcraft joint is for you, friend.

I'm with you on this one!

Well, then maybe it's not as obscure as I think. That's two people already who have come out in support of that album.