Star Trek (2009)

Kudzu

Saw it last night with my girlfriend. Really, really good movie. I'm a minor fan of Trek - I watch reruns of "The Next Generation" and occasionally the original series when they're on, and I'm known to do some Trek gaming from time to time - and my girlfriend is not, but we both loved the film.

It seems like "resets" or "re-imaginings" are kind of in vogue this decade, what with the lauded "Battlestar Galactica" miniseries-come-full series, Tim Burton's less lauded take on Planet of the Apes, and the upcoming G.I. Joe film. But whereas those three really had to unapologetically replace the original material - "great idea, now let's fix it" - the Star Trek universe kind of lends itself to that sort of thing (this being the third or fourth Trek movie to deal with time travel and the second to deal with the concept of an alternate reality). So, that explains why the special effects are flashier, grittier, and more dynamic than the beam-weapon exchanges that have been pervasive in Star Trek hereto - it's an alternate timeline. It's all new. Same formula, new story, new special effects, "new" technobabble.

Anyway, it didn't take me too long to adjust to the somewhat different feel of the new Star Trek (the opening battle scene in particular was clearly designed to compete with "Battlestar Galactica" and Revenge of the Sith for dynamic, three-dimensional, chaotic space combat) and completely enjoy the ride. The casting was practically pitch-perfect for slightly younger versions of the original crew; Chris Pine (Kirk), Zachary Quinto (Spock), and Karl Urban (McCoy) all turned in excelsior performances, and of course Leonard Nimoy's turn as the older Ambassador Spock lent the film a touch of maturity and compassion totally in line with the Star Trek universe.

Some of the re-imagined elements worked better than others (I thought the romance subplot between Spock and Uhura in particular didn't add much, and in fact kind of detracted from believability; the casts of the four most recent Trek series had relationships within the featured crew, yet you'd never see Riker - let alone Acting Captain Spock holding up an emergency ship-to-ship teleportation by Frenching a subordinate on the transporter pad), providing some of the best pieces of the movie: the end to the opening scene, with the wide shot of the U.S.S. Kelvin (Kirk's dad's ship) crashing into Nero's futuristic, evil-looking Narada while the evacuation shuttles, silhouetted against the expanding fireball of the explosion, stream away from the scene of battle; the new bang effect for warp, which obviously borrows heavily from Star Wars' hyperspace in its new visual effects; Scotty's little alien partner, played by Deep Roy, at his engineering station on the ice planet of Delta Vega; a manic and totally weird seventeen-year-old Chekov's frantic teleportation of Kirk and Sulu inches away from a collision with the planet Vulcan; and the damage, more visible and human than in perhaps any other Trek show or movie to date, hammered home in McCoy's bitter, "Tell me something I don't already know!" response to being named chief medical officer as he performs triage in a darkened hell of sickbay aboard the Enterprise under fire.

All in all, a smashing success. Plans for a 2011 sequel are already moving, and it's one I'll be eagerly awaiting. I only hope they can secure a better composer; all the film needed to be pushed into the epic realm of sci-fi/fantasy blockbusters like the Star Wars original trilogy and Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings was a more memorable score.

Thoughts?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shields up....D'asagoodone.

Didn't read the review, but I heard it is supposed to be great.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ May 9 2009, 11:12 AM)
Saw it last night with my girlfriend. Really, really good movie. I'm a minor fan of Trek - I watch reruns of "The Next Generation" and occasionally the original series when they're on, and I'm known to do some Trek gaming from time to time - and my girlfriend is not, but we both loved the film.

It seems like "resets" or "re-imaginings" are kind of in vogue this decade, what with the lauded "Battlestar Galactica" miniseries-come-full series, Tim Burton's less lauded take on Planet of the Apes, and the upcoming G.I. Joe film. But whereas those three really had to unapologetically replace the original material - "great idea, now let's fix it" - the Star Trek universe kind of lends itself to that sort of thing (this being the third or fourth Trek movie to deal with time travel and the second to deal with the concept of an alternate reality). So, that explains why the special effects are flashier, grittier, and more dynamic than the beam-weapon exchanges that have been pervasive in Star Trek hereto - it's an alternate timeline. It's all new. Same formula, new story, new special effects, "new" technobabble.

Anyway, it didn't take me too long to adjust to the somewhat different feel of the new Star Trek (the opening battle scene in particular was clearly designed to compete with "Battlestar Galactica" and Revenge of the Sith for dynamic, three-dimensional, chaotic space combat) and completely enjoy the ride. The casting was practically pitch-perfect for slightly younger versions of the original crew; Chris Pine (Kirk), Zachary Quinto (Spock), and Karl Urban (McCoy) all turned in excelsior performances, and of course Leonard Nimoy's turn as the older Ambassador Spock lent the film a touch of maturity and compassion totally in line with the Star Trek universe.

Some of the re-imagined elements worked better than others (I thought the romance subplot between Spock and Uhura in particular didn't add much, and in fact kind of detracted from believability; the casts of the four most recent Trek series had relationships within the featured crew, yet you'd never see Riker - let alone Acting Captain Spock holding up an emergency ship-to-ship teleportation by Frenching a subordinate on the transporter pad), providing some of the best pieces of the movie: the end to the opening scene, with the wide shot of the U.S.S. Kelvin (Kirk's dad's ship) crashing into Nero's futuristic, evil-looking Narada while the evacuation shuttles, silhouetted against the expanding fireball of the explosion, stream away from the scene of battle; the new bang effect for warp, which obviously borrows heavily from Star Wars' hyperspace in its new visual effects; Scotty's little alien partner, played by Deep Roy, at his engineering station on the ice planet of Delta Vega; a manic and totally weird seventeen-year-old Chekov's frantic teleportation of Kirk and Sulu inches away from a collision with the planet Vulcan; and the damage, more visible and human than in perhaps any other Trek show or movie to date, hammered home in McCoy's bitter, "Tell me something I don't already know!" response to being named chief medical officer as he performs triage in a darkened hell of sickbay aboard the Enterprise under fire.

All in all, a smashing success. Plans for a 2011 sequel are already moving, and it's one I'll be eagerly awaiting. I only hope they can secure a better composer; all the film needed to be pushed into the epic realm of sci-fi/fantasy blockbusters like the Star Wars original trilogy and Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings was a more memorable score.

Thoughts?

JJ Adams is the biggest douchebag in the world!

QUOTE (Kudzu @ May 9 2009, 10:12 AM)

Thoughts?

Wow. Great review, Kudzu. I couldn't agree with you more.

I just saw the movie tonight and it exceeded my expectations. I am an original Trekie who wanted to grow up to be like Captain Kirk. I envisioned a more optimistic future of technology and would have been hugely disappointed as a lad to find out that when I was 41 yrs old, we still haven't been able to put a person on Mars.

But, I thought the movie was fantastic. A must see.

The movie score sucked. I have had the movie score on my ipod for over a week now and it is terrible imo. Giacchino hardly ever referenced the original TV score, which needed updating. It was not moving and sounded canned to me. Giacchino failed. Everything else was awesome.

The casting is what makes this movie so fantastic. They couldn't have picked better actors than Pine and Quinto for Kirk and Spock. Every character is portrayed perfectly. I've seen it twice this weekend and I'd gladly see it a third time. One of the best films I've seen in quite a while. I'm already looking forward to the sequel. If you're questioning a trip to the theater, don't hesitate. It's worth every penny.

"alternate realities" indeed. At least they explained it well enough.

This seems to be a more total reboot than some other franchises. Vulcan being entirely destroyed, Spock/Uhura, Spock's mother dying and the most time travel in any Trek seem to affirm that.

It's definitely the most action packed Trek, and it was well done action too.

The casting was also spot on. The actors really nailed the character's personalities quite well, especially Kirk.

I didn't hate the music like you guys did. I was actually thinking about it when Kirk and Sulu fought those guys on the drill. Honestly, I was thinking "if they bring back that old fight music, I'll laugh so much" tongue.gif

Worth seeing, even though they changed too much of the back story for my personal taste. The sequel will be interesting to note, but how many times can the Trek series have a movie based on "the ultimate crisis that will destroy the entire galaxy"?

QUOTE (Slime @ May 10 2009, 07:00 AM)
"alternate realities" indeed. At least they explained it well enough.

This seems to be a more total reboot than some other franchises. Vulcan being entirely destroyed, Spock/Uhura, Spock's mother dying and the most time travel in any Trek seem to affirm that.

It's definitely the most action packed Trek, and it was well done action too.

The casting was also spot on. The actors really nailed the character's personalities quite well, especially Kirk.

I didn't hate the music like you guys did. I was actually thinking about it when Kirk and Sulu fought those guys on the drill. Honestly, I was thinking "if they bring back that old fight music, I'll laugh so much" tongue.gif

Worth seeing, even though they changed too much of the back story for my personal taste. The sequel will be interesting to note, but how many times can the Trek series have a movie based on "the ultimate crisis that will destroy the entire galaxy"?

Just got back from seeing it. The only things I saw wrong with this movie were knee-jerk reaction, nit-picky little things that could only bug an old-time, life-long Trekker such as myself. old.gif laugh.gif

However, as far as the casting, writing, acting, directing, action and special effects go:

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif (IMHO) Looking forward to the sequel...Btw, I think this one will guarantee the continuation of the franchise...Live long and prosper...

Edited by CygXanTor

This was a really awesome movie. It was like visiting old friends in an entirely new way that was very exciting. I like how they created an alternate reality that could become it's own spin off timeline series.

It was also desperately sad. I was happy they escaped at the end, but it was bittersweet indeed with so much lost.

An amazing film I will watch many, many times into the future....

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 10 2009, 05:40 PM)
This was a really awesome movie. It was like visiting old friends in an entirely new way that was very exciting. I like how they created an alternate reality that could become it's own spin off timeline series.

It was also desperately sad. I was happy they escaped at the end, but it was bittersweet indeed with so much lost.

Yup! i have seen it twice already. Plan to see it a few more times too! yes.gif

One thing I have a hard time believing is that young James T Kirk ever heard of The Beastie Boys! They will have been dead for nearly 2 centuries by the time he crashed his uncle's antique Corvette (terrible loss, that...laugh.gif). I guess there's no telling what will be remembered from our time . confused13.gif biggrin.gif I'm sure 2.gif will be remembered in the 23rd century, right along with Mozart, The Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix... wink.gif cool10.gif Edited by CygXanTor

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ May 10 2009, 03:38 AM)
The casting is what makes this movie so fantastic. They couldn't have picked better actors than Pine and Quinto for Kirk and Spock. Every character is portrayed perfectly. I've seen it twice this weekend and I'd gladly see it a third time. One of the best films I've seen in quite a while. I'm already looking forward to the sequel. If you're questioning a trip to the theater, don't hesitate. It's worth every penny.

My thoughts exactly. My wife and I saw this at our local theater. Every seat was packed. At the end of the film, there was enthusiastic applause. I can't remember the last time I heard applause for a movie. The wife and I are going to see it in IMAX tomorrow night.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ May 9 2009, 11:06 PM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ May 9 2009, 10:12 AM)

Thoughts?

Wow. Great review, Kudzu. I couldn't agree with you more.

I just saw the movie tonight and it exceeded my expectations. I am an original Trekie who wanted to grow up to be like Captain Kirk. I envisioned a more optimistic future of technology and would have been hugely disappointed as a lad to find out that when I was 41 yrs old, we still haven't been able to put a person on Mars.

But, I thought the movie was fantastic. A must see.

The movie score sucked. I have had the movie score on my ipod for over a week now and it is terrible imo. Giacchino hardly ever referenced the original TV score, which needed updating. It was not moving and sounded canned to me. Giacchino failed. Everything else was awesome.

I really wanted to hear the classic Trek scores referenced. Cheesy and melodramatic, sure - but memorable and fun, at the very least. I had to wait until halfway through the credits to hear just a few bars of the old Star Trek theme, which was a bit disappointing, but the movie's general kickassery well made up for it.

This was kind of like make-or-break for the franchise. Common consensus was that Insurrection and Nemesis both resembled overlong mediocre episodes of "The Next Generation", and "Enterprise" was a real misfire of a series. If this movie had flopped, Star Trek would have been over and done with. So, I'm glad the movie was so great, because I think the world needs a shot in the arm of some Trek-style fun and optimism (just the way it did back in the '60s). Now that the original series is fodder for TV Land reruns, it's good to have a reboot with shiny special effects for the teens and twenty-somethings - and, in classic Star Trek form, more soul than the Star Wars prequels and more hope than the BSG re-imagining.

And that's more important than the ever-questionable physics of teleporting two guys from a planet to a starship traveling past lightspeed over a parsec away. Now is not the time to try to make sense of Treknobabble. It's just not important. wink.gif

I think they did a very solid job on all fronts. Just one grievance, and it applies to the Star Wars movies as well. I think it's a bad idea to employ film actors who are very much associated with other realms of film.

With a Sci-Fi movie, you are trying to establish and maintain a 'believable' alternate universe. You are meant to lose yourself in this universe for a two hour clip. But, when you bring in an actor that is very much tied to another genre, like Comedy or Horror, it totally kills the illusion that the film-maker is trying to establish.

From my perspective, this kind of move will completely remove me from this other-world illusion and will quickly re-ground me in our mundane reality. For instance, when Samuel L. Jackson was used in Star Wars. This actor has been so ridiculously rooted in these Shoot-Em-Up Gangster roles, that when you take him out of that universe and place him in a Sci-Fi Epic, as in the role of a Jedi, it totally destroys the illusion that the film-maker is trying to establish.

In this new Star Trek, it was the use of 'Harold' from Harold & Kumar in the role of Zulu that killed it for me. As soon as I saw him I began to laugh. And, I shouldn't be laughing because it's not a comedy. But, their choice of actor is what destroyed the illusion.

In contrast to this, the guy from Heroes in the role of Spock wasn't a distraction in the least. He basically plays the same stoic character on that show as he did in the Star Trek film. So, the viewer isn't uprooted from this other-world. But, on a whole, I'd rather see a whole cast of unknowns, or barely-knows in a film like this. I think it makes sense.

Edited by naturalsciences101

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ May 10 2009, 04:05 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 10 2009, 05:40 PM)
This was a really awesome movie.  It was like visiting old friends in an entirely new way that was very exciting.  I like how they created an alternate reality that could become it's own spin off timeline series.

It was also desperately sad.  I was happy they escaped at the end, but it was bittersweet indeed with so much lost.

Yup! i have seen it twice already. Plan to see it a few more times too! yes.gif

star trek whore

wink.gif

QUOTE (Kudzu @ May 10 2009, 06:49 PM)
and "Enterprise" was a real misfire of a series.

Have you watched all the Enterprise series? It was a truly excellent Star Trek series that was getting better and better all the time. It was such a shame when they took it off the air - a crushing blow. Much better than say Deep Space Nine, and I really liked DS9. They took it off due to poor ratings, not because it was an inferior show in any way - quite the contrary.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 10 2009, 11:22 PM)

Have you watched all the Enterprise series? It was a truly excellent Star Trek series that was getting better and better all the time. It was such a shame when they took it off the air - a crushing blow. Much better than say Deep Space Nine, and I really liked DS9. They took it off due to poor ratings, not because it was an inferior show in any way - quite the contrary.

I've only watched a couple of episodes, and I really haven't been impressed; I like Bakula but as a starship captain, he's not great, and Jolene Blalock may be fabulous eye candy, but she's not much of an actress. But I digress - at least this Star Trek is both really good and really well received.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ May 11 2009, 12:08 AM)

I've only watched a couple of episodes, and I really haven't been impressed; I like Bakula but as a starship captain, he's not great, and Jolene Blalock may be fabulous eye candy, but she's not much of an actress. But I digress - at least this Star Trek is both really good and really well received.

Yes, the cancellation of Enterprise was disappointing. It was canceled when the writers were finally "getting it". Enterprise started out by trying to establish its own without acknowledging it was a prequel. It failed on that level, then the writers started to write episodes within the established Trek universe and it greatly improved. But, it was not better than Deep Space Nine! DS9 was the dark side of Star Trek and it was brilliant! In my opinion, the only Trek series that was disappointing was Voyager. It was a series that never knew what it wanted to be, but unlike Enterprise it was given an entire series run. It did have a handful of great episodes, but not enough to deem it a success on any level.

I liked it. The alternate reality thing was a great idea to beat the horse for another round of semi-original movies with the original Trek characters. Maybe Lucas can copy the idea and have an alternate Star Wars franchise where Anakin doesn't become Vader and instead Yoda turns to the dark side. laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 11 2009, 09:39 AM)

Yes, the cancellation of Enterprise was disappointing. It was canceled when the writers were finally "getting it". Enterprise started out by trying to establish its own without acknowledging it was a prequel. It failed on that level, then the writers started to write episodes within the established Trek universe and it greatly improved. But, it was not better than Deep Space Nine! DS9 was the dark side of Star Trek and it was brilliant! In my opinion, the only Trek series that was disappointing was Voyager. It was a series that never knew what it wanted to be, but unlike Enterprise it was given an entire series run. It did have a handful of great episodes, but not enough to deem it a success on any level.

DS9 was developed when Paramount learned that J. Michael Straczinski was developing 'Babylon 5', which is better than 'Star Trek' ever has been.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 11 2009, 10:54 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 11 2009, 09:39 AM)

DS9 was developed when Paramount learned that J. Michael Straczinski was developing 'Babylon 5', which is better than 'Star Trek' ever has been.

You know, I won't argue this. This is really an example of personal preference and opinion. I will acknowledge that Babylon 5 was better conceived and executed than any Star Trek series. Straczinski had total control over the story arc and characters, whereas Star Trek always had multiple writers and producers that never really got on the same page when it came to continuity and characters.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 11 2009, 07:39 AM)

Regarding Enterprise, I loved the whole aspect of it being them discovering space and alien races for the very first time since they pre-dated the original series. Once they got into the Expanse and the whole story arc with the Xindi, the show got even cooler. Then there was the temporal war, and that was cooler still - really mindbending science-fiction.

It was somewhat reminiscent of when DS9 started to get more interesting towards the end with the Delta Quadrant and the Dominion and the Cardasians. For a long time DS9 was more of a character driven show instead of a more action-oriented exploration show since it was about a stationary space station. They weren't going out and exploring, but having the action come to them. Still great, and the Bajoran/Prophets stuff was interesting, but sometimes it really did get a tad boring and a bit soap opera like. It was no TNG, that's for sure.

Personal preference, but I thought Enterprise was just a more interesting show than DS9 in general, and it was only getting better. If Enterprise had come out when DS9 did, when the franchise had more momentum from the success of TNG, it surely would have done better with ratings and lasted a couple/few more years...