Middletown Dreams

Sark

QUOTE (Schro @ Mar 7 2005, 11:13 AM)
QUOTE (Sark @ Mar 5 2005, 05:17 AM)
QUOTE (Schro @ Mar 4 2005, 03:20 PM)
MD grew a bit slowly on me, but now I enjoy it very much.

I can't remember if I ever heard MD live, but Pedro's comment resonated with me.  I think some songs can be great studio songs, but, for whatever reason, just not provide the same spark in a live setting.

I happen to think Camera Eye is one of those songs.  I love this song to death, but live it just.. doesn't seem to work.

When did you hear Camera Eye live?

I've never heard Rush play it live, but I did hear a tribute band named Thunderhead play it live in St. Louis (part of the encore, no less).

I agree with everything Indica said (mark this down Indica - we agree on something haha). TCE just didn't create the energy one thinks it would when played live. I don't understand it myself because I love the song.

Perhaps when we've travelled to the last galaxy in the universe, scientists will also be able to figure out why The Camera Eye doesn't work live. Until then, I'll just shrug my shoulders.

cool.gif

Schro

Listening to some boots with TCE on them, I thought it worked very well. Of course, I wasn't in the arena, just listening to a cd.

But then again, I'm extremely prejudiced in favor of including that song in the set list laugh.gif

QUOTE (ChainLightning @ Mar 7 2005, 12:51 PM)
Middletown Dreams is a great song!  My favourite off Power Windows is Emotion Detector.

I agree with you about Emotion Detector, it's one of my favorite songs that rush has ever done, it brings back memories from the mid 80's when I was in my late teens.

I especially like the part that says...." Trust is just as rare as devotion, forgive us our cynical thoughts"

Everytime I hear that line it takes me back, so many memories from that Era. WOW, just WOW.

If we need too much attention -

Not content with being cool

We must throw ourselves wide open

And start acting like a fool

If we need too much approval

Then the cuts can seem too cruel............... wub.gif

Those lyrics touch me deeply for some reason. confused13.gif

I'm going out on a limb here and say that this is one of Neils best songs as far as the lyrics are concerned.

Edited by Indica

It's my absolute favorite song on Power Windows. So many Rush fans can relate to this song.

One of the wonderful things about Rush's songs is that they relate to so many people and their lives. Maybe that is one reason so many of us love them.

• Like 1

I never really cared for it and I used to live in a town called Middletown. Maybe it was literally too close to home.

For me , it's my favorite from Power Windows. I just hope if or when they tour next, I can hear it LIVE! That would absolutley rock! 1022.gif ( live Mission would be nice too!)

One of the greatest Rush songs ever made.

• Like 1

Bleh. Keep your dreams, keep your heartland. No. Just...no. :poke:
  • Like 1

In my top 10 Rush songs. I grew up and still live in a small town..in a little neighborhood. So i relate very closely to these lyrics.

one of my all time favorite lyrics:

It's understood

By every single person

Who'd be elsewhere if they could

So far so good

And life's not unpleasant

In their little neighborhood

Edited by Mithrandir

This is a live performance of 'Middletown Dreams' to which I frequently return (from the Power Windows tour):

The way in which the guitar and synths blend/interplay is a study in itself.  Not only the arrangement sensibilities, but the complementing timbres.

We get some of that distorted yet cutting, less than a humbucker but more than a single coil, chorused guitar.  The pickups in those Signature Aurora guitars (made by Evans (E-1s) for Signature) certainly aided in achieving that sound.  Not surprising, then, that Alex harvested one of those pickups from a Signature and put it in a PRS guitar.

(Which reminds me of a guitar tale from years ago:  I received a call from a friend saying, "Hey!  We've got a Signature for you to have a look-see.  Come on down!"  It was (presumably) a one-off prototype.  Something akin to a string-through-body Aurora.  It wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't extraordinary.  What I remember most about it was the absolutely horrible job of bookmatching the top somebody had done.  "Who bookmatched this top?!  Or should I ask, who didn't bookmatch this?!"  Oy.  Now I wonder what ever happened to that guitar.)

Edited by dream & vapour
  • Like 5

Cool track 😎

There’s not a single song from Power Windows which I ever skip 👍🙂

Edited by Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1