The Official My Chemical Romance thread

Xanadu93

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Jul 15 2009, 10:18 PM)
Ha ha Spam.

Wrong thread, Corey wink.gif

QUOTE (Agent By-Tor @ Jul 16 2009, 12:11 PM)
i like the song Black Parade, but the rest of the stuff is crap new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif . sorry Xan.

No need to apologize - like I said, they aren't for everyone. It's cool that you like that song, though - it was one of my favorites when I was getting into MCR!

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Aug 4 2009, 04:41 PM)
Wow, we have two spam threads now. laugh.gif

FFS Corey, I know you're a huge MyChem fan, and you write Frank/Gerard fanfiction! tongue.gif

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Aug 4 2009, 07:42 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Aug 4 2009, 05:24 PM)
QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Aug 4 2009, 04:41 PM)
Wow, we have two spam threads now. laugh.gif

FFS Corey, I know you're a huge MyChem fan, and you write Frank/Gerard fanfiction! tongue.gif

How'd you know. wub.gif

Oh, wait - I know it, you're Matt Pelissier, the original drummer of My Chemical Romance that got fired in 2004, and let out three cheers for sweet revenge because you bashed them! But you still love pairing Frankie and Gerard together! I knew it!

tongue.gif

My Chemical Romance will be playing at the Soundwave Festival in Australia in 2010. Check out the dates below, and head over to soundwavefestival.com for more info.

SATURDAY FEB 20 BRISBANE, RNA SHOWGROUNDS

SUNDAY FEB 21 SYDNEY, EASTERN CREEK RACEWAY

FRIDAY FEB 26 MELBOURNE, SHOWGROUNDS

SATURDAY FEB 27 ADELAIDE, BONYTHON PARK

MONDAY MARCH 1 PERTH, STEEL BLUE OVAL

Lucky eyesre4.gif ; hopefully this means they'll be doing the tour in the summer. Can't wait!

edit: here is a list of all the bands performin, including Faith No More, Jane's Addiction, Paramore, and Gallows.

Edited by Xanadu93

bumper.gif

Finally, Ray gives us a huge update on the new record. Sounds really great, hopefully they'll have the record out soon.

Mixing with our good buddy Rich Costey is going great. So far, he's mixed 9 songs, and they all sound f***ing stellar. He had an interesting process where he started out mixing some of the looser songs first, and then ramped up to the denser stuff. Our goal in mixing is to make it loud, and then make it louder then that. "Still Alive" was an early one, and he brought a real heaviness and aggressiveness to that song. Song is very drum and bass oriented, very different for us, but still rocks at the same time. A bit of Queen influenced guitar harmonies helps on that song.

"Save Yourself" was another early one, a mix of Judas Priest metal and 80's arena rock. That song went through a lot of different permutations, and finally we settled on this vibe that took us to new territory. We then got into a song called "The Only Hope For Me Is You," and that's where things really starting clicking with Rich. What was great was each song would just sound better and bigger than the last. As some of you had guessed from a twitter thing of mine (I refuse to call it a tweet), David Campbell did a bit of work on the record, and that's one of the songs he arranged for. Costey did this crazy effect with the strings going into the last chorus that blew me away. One of my favorite tracks.

"Trans Am" and "Death Before Disco" came next. "Disco" you may have heard at the Roxy shows or from Youtube videos of Summersonic. So happy with the way that mix turned out. I have to drive REALLY FAST when I listen to it. I think that's a hallmark of a great rock song. "Trans Am" is an epic take on "Born To Run" in 4 minutes. When we wrote this song, it was HUGE for us. Really opened our hearts and ears during the writing process. Frank, thanks for noodling and G, good ear to make a song out of it. You guys will love this song. Another favorite. Looking forward to more mixes, we got coming up "Kiss The Ring," which we also played at Roxy. I really can't wait for "Black Dragon Fighting Society," our ode to Misfits punk. Song kinda shreds!

Mixing is a great thing. The ideas continue to flow, and like they say, writing is never done. FYI any of the song titles mentioned are still tentative, you know how we like to change things up!!!

Ray

QUOTE (VarianStar @ Nov 11 2009, 08:45 AM)
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the new record!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Nov 15 2009, 06:25 PM)
Oh heres the other spam thread. laugh.gif

No, that would be a Lynyrd Skynyrd thread smile.gif

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Nov 15 2009, 08:21 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Nov 15 2009, 06:53 PM)
QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Nov 15 2009, 06:25 PM)
Oh heres the other spam thread. laugh.gif

No, that would be a Lynyrd Skynyrd thread smile.gif

moon.gif

FFS Corey, I don't swing that way! If you do that's cool and all, and there's nothing wrong with it, but I'm straight. smile.gif

MyChem were featured on the cover of the latest Alternative Press, but I never mentioned it here. It's really in-depth - I love it. They let AP in the studio to hear some of the 21 songs recorded for the new record - here's the track-by-track analysis. Gerard Way talked with them about eight of the songs. This update, along with Ray's big update back in November, is getting me really excited for the new record. I have a feeling it's going to change the whole "MyChem are emo" thing I keep hearing.

"Death Before Disco": Described as an "anti-party party song" (and one of the first tracks the band wrote prior to their Japan trip), this rave-up was directly inspired by the original Detroit punks, the Stooges and the MC5. The band actually got to play it for MC5 guitarist Wayne Kramer when they met him during one of his Jail Guitar Doors charity initiatives.

"The Light Behind Your Eyes": An atmospheric track that wouldn't sound out of place on a playlist between the Church and Talk Talk. According to Gerard, the band were going for a late-period Pink Floyd vibe, ca. The Division Bell. "We really went for something cinematic with it. Sort of like the sunset before the gunfight."

"Hail to the King": My Chemical Zeppelin, anyone? This song - formerly tagged "L.A. Heavy" - sounds like Queens of the Stone Age manning a fleet of 1986 Monte Carlos and taking over a small town with an army of fist-pumping kids in leather vests and ratty jeans. "It's all about playing a rock show with a who-gives-a-shit-what-the-song-means type of thing."

"Still Alive": A chapter of MyChem mythology committed to song, this Britpop-sounding rocker is centered on the legendary story of the band getting a bottle of urine thrown at them at the Reading Festival in the U.K. - from the thrower's point of view.

"Trams Am": This song - seemingly influenced by the Midwest crime drama Badlands and the modern sci-fi classic Blade Runner - sounds like the kind of thing coming out at top volume of a rusted-out, primer-coated, um, Trans Am.

"Save Yourself, I'll Hold Them Back": "I kept referencing 'Living After Midnight' by Judas Priest, the choruses were Bon Jovi with a little bit of Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge thrown in. I wanted it to be kind of a leather-metal song. That song is about the importance of a believer over a victim."

"The Only Hope for Me Is You": A cousin to "Famous Last Words" (the most optimistic cut from The Black Parade), this song encapsulates the band's knack for both the anthemic and the melodic. "'Famous Last Words' was very direct in the choruses. This one is even more direct. For me, it's looking at the beginning of my life - which is, for me, 9/11. It's about a lot of things, like bringing a child into the world and being worried that there's something lousy [your child] is going to have to live through."

"Black Dragon Fighting Society": The most head-swiveling, 1-2-f**k you, live-in-the-studio moment in the entire MCR catalog, this song is 98 seconds of over-caffeinated, overmodulated, downstroked frenzy, replete with toy ray guns and a guitar battle royale between Frank Iero, Ray Toro, and Gerard. "It kind of reminds me of one of my favorite songs, 'Heart Attack Man' from the Beastie Boys' Ill Communication. There's about two hours of production on it, yet it still sounds like My Chemical Romance."

The one song mentioned in Ray's update and not here is "Kiss the Ring", and all he said about it was that they were getting ready to mix it. I would think they'd have it mixed in a month and a half.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 28 2009, 07:33 PM)
http://hosting03.imagecross.com/myspace-image-upload-3/1452spam.jpg

smile.gif

NO U

Time for a well-deserved bumper.gif

Today, My Chemical Romance debuted the song "Na Na Na" on KROQ, and onethirtybpm was kind enough to find a copy of the song, so I've downloaded and listened a few times... and I love it. The band has really taken off, this sounds so different from their other stuff. I know these guys aren't that popular here, but please, give this track a chance.

MP3: My Chemical Romance - "Na Na Na" CDQ

QUOTE (Blenderhead @ Sep 22 2010, 10:36 PM)
http://tinypic.com/jktymr.gif

So did you actually listen to it?

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Sep 22 2010, 10:46 PM)
QUOTE (Blenderhead @ Sep 22 2010, 10:36 PM)
http://tinypic.com/jktymr.gif

So did you actually listen to it?

Can't I give anyone a hard time around here anymore?

Just for you, I listened to it. smile.gif

It was pretty good, but didn't sound anything like MCR at all. Reminds me of Jet or somethin' similar.

QUOTE (Blenderhead @ Sep 22 2010, 10:54 PM)
It was pretty good, but didn't sound anything like MCR at all.  Reminds me of Jet or somethin' similar.

That, my friend, was my favorite aspect of the song. I'm really excited for the album release if everything else is as different yet great as that song.