The Official My Chemical Romance thread

Xanadu93

I can't believe that there isn't a thread like this already (except the mis-labeled one I started about a year ago laugh.gif ). Oh well, there's an official thread now!

I understand that there are a fair number of MCR fans on the board, as well as a ton of people who dislike the band. If you don't like 'em, I don't mind, just please don't fill the thread with "They're shite", "crappy pop-punk", that kind of stuff. If I may add, though their song titles appear dark ("Famous Last Words"), their lyrics are actually not that depressing. Take the chorus from the previously mentioned song: "I am not afraid to keep on living/I am not afraid to walk this world alone/Honey if you stay I'll be forgiving/Nothing you can stay can stop me going home". Why would you want to make music that encourages your fans to kill themselves? (Didn't Judas Priest face that sort of false accusation before?)

And if you've only heard a few songs by them - presumably "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)", "Welcome to the Black Parade", and "Teenagers" - and want to know where to go next, then this is the place. Want to hear news about the new album (which is coming along, BTW) that's due later this year? Or just want to talk about a show you've seen? Then you've found the right place.

Good songs to start with: (I do not own their debut, so if you have recommendations from it, feel free to share)

From Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge: Helena (So Long & Goodnight), The Ghost of You, I Never Told You What I Do For A Living, I'm Not Okay (I Promise).

From The Black Parade: The End. , Dead!, Welcome to the Black Parade, I Don't Love You, Cancer, Sleep, Famous Last Words.

trink39.gif

I dig several of their songs. For me it started with "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)" and "Helena"

I did get into TBP and wore out Famous Last Words, Cancer and afew others

You wont find many fans here though.

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Mar 15 2009, 12:30 PM)
i used to like MCR.......when i was in 6th grade, and wore UFO pants to school 062802puke_prv.gif

not a period of my life that im proud of laugh.gif

what are ufo pants?

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Mar 15 2009, 11:32 AM)
i used to like MCR.......when i was in 6th grade, and wore UFO pants to school  062802puke_prv.gif

not a period of my life that im proud of  laugh.gif

what are ufo pants?

i used to like MCR.......when i was in 6th grade, and wore UFO pants to school  062802puke_prv.gif

what are ufo pants?

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/v..._2041_236831479

Edited by Wilderness_of_Mirrors

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Mar 15 2009, 02:18 PM)

what are ufo pants?

what are ufo pants?

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/v..._2041_236831479

Ah, I see those around a bit but didn;t they were called ufos.

Funny thing, I was out on the local exercise trail riding my bike and I saw two people dressed like this walking and I wondered why they didn;t have comfy exercise clothes. It was 82 degrees...

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Mar 15 2009, 11:54 AM)
I dig several of their songs. For me it started with "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)" and "Helena"

I did get into TBP and wore out Famous Last Words, Cancer and afew others

You wont find many fans here though.

Don't worry..... my other thread wasn't exactly filled with appreciation laugh.gif

For anyone interested, their new album is in the works - according to Gerard, it's supposed to be more similar to their first two records - I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love and Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge - than The Black Parade. My best friend and I are sharing updates back and forth via MySpace.

QUOTE (J0N @ Mar 15 2009, 11:38 AM)
QUOTE (tHobbs @ Mar 15 2009, 03:40 AM)
unsure.gif

unsure.gif

http://bythelbs.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/morecowbell3.jpg

QUOTE (Soni @ Mar 15 2009, 02:20 PM)
oops.gif
my criminal romance...

So, I take it they're a guilty pleasure of yours?

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Mar 22 2009, 09:53 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 16 2009, 04:25 PM)
1287.gif

I've never heard them.......and something tells me to stay far away.......... unsure.gif

Go listen to a few of the songs I listed at the start of this thread!

I had to listen to a few songs by Coldplay before I made the conclusion that they weren't for me. (To see if this is indeed true, I'm trying to find out how to listen to the entire Viva La Vida album before I make the decision to buy or to not buy.)

Edited by Xanadu93

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Mar 23 2009, 12:01 PM)
1287.gif

I've never heard them.......and something tells me to stay far away.......... unsure.gif

I had to listen to a few songs by Coldplay before I made the conclusion that they weren't for me. (To see if this is indeed true, I'm trying to find out how to listen to the entire Viva La Vida album before I make the decision to buy or to not buy.)

Youtube? Torrents?

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Mar 23 2009, 06:06 PM)
1287.gif

Youtube? Torrents?

You can see some YouTube stuff like THIS or even their own YT channel.

I first heard about these guys back when I liked a track from a PS3 game (I think it was the original Burnout game for PS3) and the song was "I'm Not Alright (I Promise)". Looked them up and was shocked to see that they were a New Jersey band.

My Black Parade is worth a listen.

Edited by PassTheAmmunition

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Mar 23 2009, 03:36 PM)
1287.gif

Youtube? Torrents?

He was wondering how he could listen to the full album before buying it and on YouTube there are tons of songs (full albums) with just the artwork as a video that he would be able to see. That's the point I was making.

I love The Black Parade.

For those of you automatically assuming it's crap, it isn't. It's worth a listen or 2. When I first got it, it was in my CD player for a month. WHen they toured the Black Parade, my wife and I and a group of friends saw them and they put on a hell of a show...played the entire Black Parade album. I was really impressed, and I hate most of that EMO stuff.

The Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge album, however, doesnt do anything for me outside of Helena

• Like 1

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Mar 23 2009, 07:06 PM)
1287.gif

Youtube? Torrents?

Don't worry - I did buy the album, just had to listen to it to make the decision - but that's for another topic.

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Mar 23 2009, 07:36 PM)

Youtube? Torrents?

I first heard about these guys back when I liked a track from a PS3 game (I think it was the original Burnout game for PS3) and the song was "I'm Not Alright (I Promise)". Looked them up and was shocked to see that they were a New Jersey band.

My Black Parade is worth a listen.

goodpost.gif .... but it's The Black Parade. wink.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 23 2009, 07:50 PM)
I love The Black Parade.

For those of you automatically assuming it's crap, it isn't. It's worth a listen or 2. When I first got it, it was in my CD player for a month. WHen they toured the Black Parade, my wife and I and a group of friends saw them and they put on a hell of a show...played the entire Black Parade album. I was really impressed, and I hate most of that EMO stuff.

The Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge album, however, doesnt do anything for me outside of Helena

Well put. goodpost.gif

I'm still jealous that you got to see them tour as The Black Parade. laugh.gif

Well, I'm bumping this thread because I've made two new MyChem purchases - their debut album, and Life On The Murder Scene. I recommend the video diary of the latter - it will teach you something about this band. I'm not trying to convert everyone to MyChem, but to at least inform people on what they are talking about, so they don't call MyChem "emo". Just because they wear black and makeup does not make them emo; if that's the case, then an awful lot of metal bands are now emo. laugh.gif

I'm in the middle of making a My Chem compilation playlist on iTunes. I'm limiting it to 80 minutes (standard cd length) and trying to equally represent each album, while including well-known songs as well as lesser-known songs. This is what I've got so far:

1. The End. (from The Black Parade)

2. Dead! (from The Black Parade)

3. Helena (from Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge)

4. Honey, This Mirror Isn't Big Enough For The Two Of Us (from I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love)

5. Welcome to the Black Parade (from The Black Parade)

6. The Ghost of You (from Three Cheers)

7. Skylines and Turnstiles (from Bullets)

8. Famous Last Words (from The Black Parade)

9. Thank You For The Venom (from Three Cheers)

10. Vampires Will Never Hurt You (from Bullets)

11. Cemetery Drive (from Three Cheers)

12. I Don't Love You (from The Black Parade)

13. My Way Home Is Through You (b-side from The Black Parade)

14. Early Sunsets Over Monroeville (from Bullets)

15. I'm Not Okay (from Three Cheers)

16. Desert Song (from Life On The Murder Scene)

17. Cubicles (from Bullets)

18. Teenagers (from The Black Parade)

19. Heaven Help Us (b-side from The Black Parade)

20. Headfirst For Halos (from Bullets)

21. I Never Told You What I Do For A Living (from Three Cheers)

6 songs from I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love

6 songs from Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge

6 songs from The Black Parade

3 songs from b-sides/bonus tracks